Chamaerops humilis 'Vulcano'

Use this forum to help with identification issues and to show off your beautiful plants, one species, subspecies, and cultivar at a time.

Moderator: Geoff

Forum rules
This section is dedicated toward maintaining one active thread for each Arecaceae species/subspecies/variety/cultivar. Please feel free to add information and/or photos to existing threads or start your own by adding Genus/species as the thread subject. Note that listings are displayed alphabetically. Enjoy!
Geoff

Chamaerops humilis 'Vulcano'

Post by Geoff »

aka Dwarf Mediterranean Fan Palm: This is a form of this species with somewhat fused and/or widened, bright, lime green leaflets and shortened petioles that is reportedly a naturally occurring form in Scicily. Other than its appearance, it seems to be similar in cold hardiness and ease of growth.
Chamaerops vulcano at LL cycad garden.jpg
Chamaerops vulcano at LL cycad garden.jpg (170.8 KiB) Viewed 1064 times
Chamaerops Vulcano update 10-17 on drip.jpg
Chamaerops Vulcano update 10-17 on drip.jpg (233.84 KiB) Viewed 1064 times
Chamaerops Vulcano great 81-7.jpg
Chamaerops Vulcano great 81-7.jpg (169.94 KiB) Viewed 1064 times
Chamaerops Vulcan new.jpg
Chamaerops Vulcan new.jpg (107.44 KiB) Viewed 1064 times
Chamaerops Vulcan planted 51-3.jpg
Chamaerops Vulcan planted 51-3.jpg (173.03 KiB) Viewed 1064 times
Stan
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10a

Re: Chamaerops humilis 'Vulcano'

Post by Stan »

I see thriving in the high desert. When are we going to get a pictorial Geoff of what you've done?
Hayward Ca. 75-80f summers,60f winters.
Geoff

Re: Chamaerops humilis 'Vulcano'

Post by Geoff »

I haven't done much... things grow SOOOOO slow here they have hardly changed in 4 years.... and tons of stuff gets eaten by gophers all the time... sick and tired of losing old plants. My worst loss was a Butia archeri I have had for 15 years... finally planted it when I moved up here and had the battle the rabbits to keep it with leaves... after 4 years it was finally large enough to remove the 'fence' around it (rabbits no longer interested in it) only to lose it to gophers a few months later.