Archontophoenix maxima

Use this forum to help with identification issues and to show off your beautiful plants, one species, subspecies, and cultivar at a time.

Moderator: Geoff

Forum rules
This section is dedicated toward maintaining one active thread for each Arecaceae species/subspecies/variety/cultivar. Please feel free to add information and/or photos to existing threads or start your own by adding Genus/species as the thread subject. Note that listings are displayed alphabetically. Enjoy!
Geoff

Archontophoenix maxima

Post by Geoff »

This is pretty rare species in cultivation and frankly is not all that unique. I had a juvenile that produced nice orange new leaves, but I understand that is not necessarily consistent characteristic... but so far as I know, is the most common species of Archontophoenix to do that. Somewhat slow growing, has a bit less cold tolerance than cunninghamiana, but better than alexandrae (maybe OK to 26F briefly). Leaves flat and undersides a bit lighter than top sides. Crownshaft a nice green to sometime blue-green. Trunk stepped like that of alexcandrae.
Archontophoenix maxima NN.jpg
Archontophoenix maxima NN.jpg (192.13 KiB) Viewed 3274 times
Archontophoenix maxima and myolensis two Leu.jpg
Archontophoenix maxima and myolensis two Leu.jpg (255.91 KiB) Viewed 3274 times
Archontophoenix maxima crownshaft Leu.jpg
Archontophoenix maxima crownshaft Leu.jpg (104.1 KiB) Viewed 3274 times
Archontophoenix maxima trunk Leu.jpg
Archontophoenix maxima trunk Leu.jpg (177.32 KiB) Viewed 3274 times