My dioon edule

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Cycadaceae, Stangeriaceae, Zamiaceae and related plants. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.

Moderator: Geoff

My dioon edule

Post Number:#1  Postby Agave_fan » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:49 pm

Here is a picture of some of the dioon I purchased at YuccaDo this past summer. Although they are supposed to be cold tolerant, I thought it best to take a photo in case they don't make it through the winter. :(
I understand that I will probably lose the leaflets but the woolly trunk is soft and just seems really fragile so in the event of really cold weather, I will cover the base of the plants. If anyone has other suggestions, please let me know.

Pictured below are four of the Yuccado dioon edule, three jacala form and 1 rio verde:
dioon edule x 4.jpg
dioon edule x 4.jpg (105.55 KiB) Viewed 69 times
Agave_fan
Offset

Re: My dioon edule

Post Number:#2  Postby Spination » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:05 pm

I have a couple of Sago and a Cardboard Palm, but for the most part Cycad-ology has eluded me.

I sure like what you have going on there, nice scores!

If I was worried about them making it through cold, I'd construct a temporary makeshift plastic hoop tunnel down over the lot of them. Wire arches can be placed at intervals poked into the ground, and plastic stretched down over making a tunnel. Something as simple as bricks could hold down the outer edges. If it's a close call with the cold, that would probably be enough to get them through it.
Spination

Post Number:#3  Postby Agave_fan » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:19 pm

Thanks spiny, will try to be prepared and have something like you suggest handy. According to some websites and at least one buyer feed back over on the yuccado website, this variety should be able to withstand zone 8 winters and some pretty cold temps but I am not holding my breath that this will be the case.
Agave_fan
Offset

Post Number:#4  Postby Spination » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:49 pm

Also, cold tolerance informations is usually for well established plants. Younger plants might need a helping hand in the beginning. ::wink::
Spination

Previous topic Next topic

Return to Cycad Talk