Fused Leaflets on Cycas taitugensis. Monstrose?

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Cycadaceae, Stangeriaceae, Zamiaceae and related plants.

Moderator: Geoff

Troy
Rhizome

Fused Leaflets on Cycas taitugensis. Monstrose?

Post by Troy »

I noticed this on an rather good sized C. taitungensis at the nursery I work at while fertilizing it the other day. It's been at the nursery for maybe seven years now and the manager says he's never noticed it, so I'm not sure if the mutation has been persistent. The leaflets are only fused at the tips, and the basal pup does not seemingly share the mutation. Eagerly awaiting a new flush of leaves in the next coming weeks. Has anyone here ever seen this? Any insight?
Attachments
IMG_4509.JPG
IMG_4509.JPG (95.55 KiB) Viewed 1627 times
IMG_4508.JPG
IMG_4508.JPG (114.38 KiB) Viewed 1627 times
IMG_4505.JPG
IMG_4505.JPG (123.31 KiB) Viewed 1627 times
Stone Jaguar
Ready to Bolt

Re: Fused Leaflets on Cycas taitugensis. Monstrose?

Post by Stone Jaguar »

Plant looks chlorotic in photos. Boron deficiency will do this, as well as severe calcium, which is less likely. Plant will probably flush normally if repotted into well-drained balanced mix.
Troy
Rhizome

Post by Troy »

It's in a very free draining soil at the moment, but I'll go ahead and add some Boron to it. I think a bit of the color of the leaf also has to do with it being in a very full sun, bleaching them.
Stone Jaguar
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stone Jaguar »

Please be very careful dosing boron (Solubor would be first choice). You can easily burn leaves or kill plants with relatively tiny overdoses. Again, am inclined to believe you may have root issues that may be generating what looks to be nutritional deficiency. If root system is indeed healthy, then I would proceed to tweak feed.

J