Spring growth

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Cycadaceae, Stangeriaceae, Zamiaceae and related plants.

Moderator: Geoff

Harriet
Bulbil

Spring growth

Post by Harriet »

These Sagos and Zamia seem to be happy! I am not familiar with their full names, but they don't seem to care!
D7K_2719.JPG
D7K_2719.JPG (127.54 KiB) Viewed 2085 times
D7K_2720.JPG
D7K_2720.JPG (128.32 KiB) Viewed 2085 times
Harriet
Bulbil

Re: Spring growth

Post by Harriet »

Just did a search for the Zamia, which is what I have always called "cardboard plant", but is listed here as Zamia furfuracea. In my search I found that, according to the University of Florida, Z. furfuracea is now Zamia maritima. Which, once again, proves that cacti are not the only plants with 'naming flux' disease. :roll:
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Not sure where you are getting your info from... the current list of Cycads per the cycad society does not list Z furfuracea that way, and even the Plantlist, a good source for lots of updated names (though cycads have been 'renamed' too far per the cycad society) still lists Zamia furfuracea as the correct name.
Harriet
Bulbil

Post by Harriet »

One of many sources for this tid bit of info is :
http://gardeningsolutions.ifas.ufl.edu/ ... board.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not trying to start anything here, just sayin' is all... Besides, I much prefer to say furfuracea, it is so much more exotic than 'maritima'. ;)
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Not sure where they got that idea from, but the international cycad society has not change Zamia furfuracea to another name yet, so I would probably just follow their lead.
Harriet
Bulbil

Post by Harriet »

I'll stick with furfuracea, having always been a UGA fan (go Dawgs!), it does not other me in the slightest to ignore recommendations from UF!!!