A new baby

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Cycadaceae, Stangeriaceae, Zamiaceae and related plants.

Moderator: Geoff

JonConga
Seedling

A new baby

Post by JonConga »

We'll see if this seedling Encephalartos lehmannii 'Kirkwood form" can handle the rigors of Phoenix. It was shipped bare root with a surprisingly large root system, probably should have used a larger pot.
Attachments
IMG_2020.JPG
IMG_2020.JPG (111.63 KiB) Viewed 1524 times
Agavemonger
Ready to Bolt

Re: A new baby

Post by Agavemonger »

You should be able to easily harden this plant off, at least eventually, to Phoenix full-sun or near full-sun conditions. :U

I know that there are lots of "Blues" in Phoenix and Tucson; you might want to check out your local societies for other aficionados who have some of these. They can clue you in. And give you inspiration as well. ::wink::

Be aware, though, that most South African "blues" will fully defoliate at around twenty degrees fahrenheit, and young plants like yours would in all probability outright die at a few degrees warmer than that! So watch out for those "Arctic Express" cold snaps that come along every ten years or so, where temperatures can cascade well below twenty eight or so and put you into the danger zone.

They are also, unfortunately, host plants for Eriophyoid Mites, so best to commence a continuing spray program with a rotational array of Miticides.

The Monger
JonConga
Seedling

Post by JonConga »

Thanks for the info, Monger! The mite thing is news to me.
Stan
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10a

Post by Stan »

I had one ready to purchase. Wipped out to pay my 55$. Turned out the writing on the pot wasn't retail. The real price is $112. Nah.I already was pushing my limit for one plant, If it got stolen...
Hayward Ca. 75-80f summers,60f winters.