Zamia floridana questions

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Cycadaceae, Stangeriaceae, Zamiaceae and related plants.

Moderator: Geoff

RustyShakleford
Offset

Zamia floridana questions

Post by RustyShakleford »

I picked up 20 of these Z. Floridana seedlings on a recent order from a wholesale nursery. Not really that familiar with cycads other than sagos. These leaves seem rather etiolated and weak, if I cut them off above the caudex/bulb part of the plant will they regrow? Is this just the normal growth habit on this plant? Can’t find many pics of seedlings just larger ones.
Attachments
908E63AD-8D44-48FE-9BC5-F9FB8E49160E.jpeg
908E63AD-8D44-48FE-9BC5-F9FB8E49160E.jpeg (280.13 KiB) Viewed 1179 times
Meangreen94z
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 8B

Re: Zamia floridana questions

Post by Meangreen94z »

Yeah, they will flush new leaves/fronds, possibly earlier if trimmed.
Austin, Texas
RustyShakleford
Offset

Post by RustyShakleford »

Thanks. I’m glad to heard that they are a pain to deal with in their current state.
Stan
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10a

Post by Stan »

I grew a pair of them in pots. Turned out to be a male and female plants. I gave them to somebody after years having them. For me a little slow growing in our summers. I also raised them to show off the stem. That might have slowed them too. Some plant don't like that I now know. Leaves them open to burn in a heatwave. I mean,I had raised that caudex way out of the soil line. Still..they coned every year.
But that growth is shade grown growth. It will come back with its typical fern like leaves.
Hayward Ca. 75-80f summers,60f winters.