Cycas 'circinalis'

Use this forum to help with identification issues and to show off your beautiful plants, one species, subspecies, and cultivar at a time.

Moderator: Geoff

Forum rules
This section is dedicated toward maintaining one active thread for each Agavaceae species/subspecies/variety/cultivar. Please feel free to add information and/or photos to existing threads or start your own by adding Genus/species as the thread subject. Note that listings are displayed alphabetically. Enjoy!
Geoff

Cycas 'circinalis'

Post by Geoff »

This is the common name given to this species, but in all liklihood, this is actually a form of Cycas rumphii. The TRUE Cycas circinalis is a very rare species and I have never seen it.
cycas circinalis La Habra.jpg
cycas circinalis La Habra.jpg (84.48 KiB) Viewed 4164 times
Cycas circinalis larb.jpg
Cycas circinalis larb.jpg (174.37 KiB) Viewed 4164 times
cycas circinalis Orlando.jpg
cycas circinalis Orlando.jpg (95.67 KiB) Viewed 4164 times
Cycas circinalis new fronds TW.jpg
Cycas circinalis new fronds TW.jpg (178.09 KiB) Viewed 4164 times
Cycas circinalis SG.JPG
Cycas circinalis SG.JPG (173.53 KiB) Viewed 4164 times
Stan
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10a

Re: Cycas 'circinalis'

Post by Stan »

Well,that may be true with many Cycads Geoff. I was looking at some you took in Asia,and I couldn't see any difference between a few. Made me wonder how accurate the names are.
Hayward Ca. 75-80f summers,60f winters.
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

This years flush. It turns out to be one of the more reliable flushers in norcal/bay area. Give it full sun.
Attachments
IMG_2278.jpg
IMG_2278.jpg (137.38 KiB) Viewed 4088 times
Meangreen94z
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 8B

Post by Meangreen94z »

Need update Stan, need update
Stan wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:06 pm This years flush. It turns out to be one of the more reliable flushers in norcal/bay area. Give it full sun.
Austin, Texas
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

Still no flush. In fact as last years' leaves in flush were scorched by that 100f+ heat wave that hit were now turning brown I cut those off hoping it might get the Cycad to get going. I just didn't cut all the leaves off. Maybe I should have.
I think too? Its in the bathtub planter and I now think that because of that and because I have a picket fence fronting it...the soil is cooler than if I had kept in a big nursery pot.
Let me tell you all..what I have learned since going "pro" in 2000? Anything that you do to bring sun is great for exotics,anything that causes the sun to be blocked? Is a very bad thing here. Tree's and buildings are my enemy.
There is no such thing as warm shade here. Just chill.
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

Next year? If no flush by Aug 1st? I'm cutting off all fronds. That might be the best way to kick start this cycad in the bay area. Or in California. Cycads have their ways..
Meangreen94z
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 8B

Post by Meangreen94z »

Yeah, I left my Dioon out for most of the winter. Fronds were either tinged or slightly burnt from regular frosts. Trimmed almost all of them in April and 90% have flushed. I’ll probably end up doing that annually.
Austin, Texas
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

This was labeled as C. circinalis by UC Berkeley. When it's happy as it was in that 2016 photo? The flushing leaves have a bluish tint...but turn green later. If, in days,I dont see movement in the peak? I'm cutting off the rest of the fronds.
BTW,A Sago I have in ground? Is coning. Looks to be female. Very slow grower in its part shade. One of the very few cycads that take that here and at the expense of very slow growth. I gave my brother one of two 25 years ago and in the hot central valley it was trunking long before mine. Its got to be at least triple the height of mine by now,with pups.