Sans in Winter

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Beaucarnea, Calibanus, Cordyline, Dasylirion, Dracaena, Nolina, Sansevieria and related species.

Moderator: Spination

Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Sans in Winter

Post by Gee.S »

We're having a mild winter so far, and have only about another four weeks of potential sub-freezing temps. Still, we get down to low and mid forties frequently, with average days of about 70°F, sunny and dry. Potted Sans love it. They continue to grow and seem to relish a few hours of direct sun coming in at an oblique angle, as opposed to summer, when most must be shaded almost constantly. I water gently once per week, so long as temps remain mild and humidity low. My guess is that low humidity is the key to winter health for Sans and many other tropical succulents.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Re: Sans in Winter

Post by Spination »

It does seem to me that some have got to be hardier than others, but I think the overall key are the temps. I think 40's and above are not going to cause problems in general.
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

I sometimes think the only difference in hardiness from one species to another relates to the thickness of their leaves. Such that thin-leaved Sans take more damage than those with thick leaves. I've experimented here with perhaps a dozen species over the years, and for the most part the thicker their leaves, the better they do. Same with the likes of Agave attenuata, for that matter. Leaves are so thin, that damage looks devastating compared to other species with thicker leaves that may only demonstrate some tip burn, depending on the duration.

Long as Sans don't freeze, they should by fine, and gentle winter sun exposure seems to help mitigate a few chilly evenings. So long as humidity remains low. I'd guess soupy air might change that reality to no good end.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Completely agree.
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

So, after that winter was over, a couple of my Sans had actually sustained considerable damage, not from freezing, but I suspect the exposure to uncomfortable temps over a prolonged period led to a general malaise. Most were completely fine, but my S. aff arborescence in particular, was marred by unseemly spots on its leaves.
Agave

Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

I have found that damage on Sans leaves is much worse for these species than say... agave. On agave, one can count on leaf turnover - eventually, leaves will be retired to the bottom of the plant. With Sans, and I suspect a product of their evolution in a very friendly environment regarding climate, where they just don't have to deal with low temps - they tend to hang onto their leaves indefinitely. This is quite problematic, as this basically translates to a nearly permanently scarred plant, in the absence of some external mitigating event (such as cutting off those leaves). Most of my plants, some now 6 years in my care, still have all of their original leaves! It makes for a very impressive specimen as they age, but also problematic appearance-wise after even a single "mistake" during all that time (sunburn, cold damage).
Here is a case in point, as an example. I've had this plant since 2013 - a full 5 years now growing, and every leaf on it, even those "juvenile" ones at the bottom, are still there from since the very beginning. It has not shed or retired a single leaf since I've had it. I'd say this is pretty typical of my entire Sans collection.
2018 03 24 Sansevieria zanzibarica #1 _ aka robusta a.jpg
2018 03 24 Sansevieria zanzibarica #1 _ aka robusta a.jpg (534.46 KiB) Viewed 7278 times
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

A few of my Sans being treated to some grow-lite for a few hours. Even if it's just once per week, I figure it should help 'em get through winter. They are under the light for my seedling tray, which is not in use at the moment.
Sans_Indoors 001.JPG
Sans_Indoors 001.JPG (85.73 KiB) Viewed 7155 times
Agave

Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

So I've been parking my outdoor Sans under a grow light for about 8 hours one day per week, and at least a couple of 'em apparently like this arrangement, as S. francisii and S. ballyi have bloom stalks forming.
Agave

Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Post by Azuleja »

Add my S. suffruticosa to the list of Sans that are happy this winter. I keep it in an east facing window in my sunroom.
Attachments
20190111_111727-1.jpg
20190111_111727-1.jpg (115.39 KiB) Viewed 6973 times
Stan
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10a

Post by Stan »

I still have Sansevieria 'bantel's sensation" going well outdoors again. I almost lost it last winter that was wet and cold. Rot set in. It took all summer to coax new growth..but here we are in mid January and its fine outdoors,under the the big potted Rubber tree. This spring I want to take it out of the big terracotta Bonsai pot its in and give it a "root warming" plastic pot. Black.
They are too touchy in our winters to grow easily..but it can be done. If I had a winter dry,but with lots of sun in ground spot where it can be showy,I would try that. Right now,I don't.
Hayward Ca. 75-80f summers,60f winters.
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

Azuleja wrote:Add my S. suffruticosa to the list of Sans that are happy this winter. I keep it in an east facing window in my sunroom.
Really nice Azul! Only one of my ballyi stalks is that far along, others are still touch and go. I would love to induce my suffruticosa to bloom, but it's REALLY big (30" tall), and won't fit under my light.
Agave

Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Post by Azuleja »

Thank you! S. francisii is a cool little monster. I look forward to seeing yours progress. Now that I'm becoming more acquainted with their growing habits I assume the rosettes on mine will bloom and then become static, no new leaves and no retirees. All energy should go into a flush of new stolons later in the year. Rinse and repeat and eventually I'll have a chaotic beast. They're such interesting plants.
Steph115
Ready to Bolt

Post by Steph115 »

Really beautiful suffruticosa Azul. Definitely looks happy. I also have a francisii that put out three new stolons - while those have kept growing the mother rosette has stayed dormant. Glad to hear this is typical. I love the look of francisii when it starts spilling over the edges and the stalks succumb to gravity. Here’s to hoping the plants like it too haha
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

My BIG S. suffruticosa also has blooms coming up. My other Sans bloomers are taking a LONG time getting into position, but I believe S. ballyi flowers are imminent, with S. francisii a week or two behind.
Agave

Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Nice to hear all the positive Sans activity going on - congrats all!
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

S. ballyi blooms are up! Too late/dark for a good pic now, I'll get some tomorrow.
Agave

Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

Here they are. Seems a shame to have them indoors with no pollinators about. I'll move 'em back out of doors once flowering completes, as freezing temps are very unlikely here after mid-February.
S. ballyi
S. ballyi
Sans_bloom 003.JPG (88.66 KiB) Viewed 6810 times
S. ballyi
S. ballyi
Sans_bloom 005.JPG (55.19 KiB) Viewed 6810 times
S. francisii
S. francisii
Sans_bloom 007.JPG (109.43 KiB) Viewed 6810 times
S. suffruticosa
S. suffruticosa
Sans_bloom 001.JPG (65.51 KiB) Viewed 6810 times
Agave

Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Post by Azuleja »

Great flower shot of the S. ballyi. Does the flower have any fragrance?
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

Very little fragrance. You should see it now. All the flowers open late in the day to attract crepuscular and nocturnal pollinators. Wowzers!
S. ballyi
S. ballyi
Sans_blooms 006.JPG (81.26 KiB) Viewed 6800 times
Agave

Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

How fun, outstanding!
Steph115
Ready to Bolt

Post by Steph115 »

Wow those are some very interesting blooms Gee. I LOVE how your francisii has grown!
Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Post by Azuleja »

Its been a long wait and then today I noticed it's happening.
Attachments
Sansevieria suffruticosa
Sansevieria suffruticosa
2019-02-27 17.44.09.jpg (146.48 KiB) Viewed 6596 times
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Beautiful!
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

So we had a rough winter this year both in severity and duration, though it could have been worse. Our typical winter lasts 6-8 weeks, this lasted 4 months, during which time we hit temps as low as 26°F and had a 4" snow event. Here are the results:
S. fischeri, worse for wear but OK
S. fischeri, worse for wear but OK
Sans_Outdoors 001.JPG (130.48 KiB) Viewed 6397 times
S. cylindrica patch #1 is undamaged
S. cylindrica patch #1 is undamaged
Sans_Outdoors 003.JPG (139.27 KiB) Viewed 6397 times
S. trifasciata should survive - just barely
S. trifasciata should survive - just barely
Sans_Outdoors 004.JPG (118.31 KiB) Viewed 6397 times
Another S. trifasciata did better underneath a blizzard of asparagus fern
Another S. trifasciata did better underneath a blizzard of asparagus fern
Sans_Outdoors 005.JPG (149.15 KiB) Viewed 6397 times
S. cylindrica patch #2 took some serious tip damage. This is a fairly robust bunch with 4' spears.
S. cylindrica patch #2 took some serious tip damage. This is a fairly robust bunch with 4' spears.
Sans_Outdoors 008.JPG (131.04 KiB) Viewed 6397 times
Another S. trifasciata patch is pretty beat up, but OK.
Another S. trifasciata patch is pretty beat up, but OK.
Sans_Outdoors 012.JPG (88.35 KiB) Viewed 6397 times
Agave

Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Post by Azuleja »

Gee, were your outdoor sans able to come back after the rough winter?

The S. suffruticosa that I posted in February sent out new stolons. It's getting heavy and the pot is small, 5 1/2 inches across.
Attachments
Sansevieria suffruticosa
Sansevieria suffruticosa
20191028_164419-1.jpg (150.35 KiB) Viewed 5206 times