Dasylirion wheeleri

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Beaucarnea, Calibanus, Cordyline, Dasylirion, Dracaena, Nolina, Sansevieria and related species.

Moderator: Spination

SC FM
Ready to Bolt

Dasylirion wheeleri

Post by SC FM »

Here is a picture of my Dasylirion wheeleriin my front yard along the sidewalk in my Xeric bed. It opened its inflorescence with yellow cloud-like flowers. I took to pictures but they were short videos by mistake. DSC03605.
Attachments
DSC03605.JPG
DSC03605.JPG (146.08 KiB) Viewed 1542 times
SC FM
Ready to Bolt

Re: Agave victoriae-reginiae

Post by SC FM »

Sorry, about the Heading not saying Dasylirion!
KLC
Ready to Bolt

Re: Dasylirion wheeleri

Post by KLC »

Nice. Your neighbors must think your choices for landscape are exotic. Are there many homes that have those types of plants there on the east coast?

One of the things I sort of miss from living in SoCal, is the manicured lawn. My front lawn was St. Augustine grass, one of my favorite things to do was edge it with the McLane. Some homes here in the desert still have lawns but it is highly impractical.
Don't California my Arizona!
SC FM
Ready to Bolt

Post by SC FM »

Thank you. A few neighbors have said they like it. I think most probably do not. All other homes mostly have BLE's and the same types of materials. I occasionally see Agaves,and various Yucca,especially aliofolia, but not much. Several people in my neighborhood have palms, but not many. I wish more people would plant Xerrics. They would be great for low maintaince in some traffic islands and islands in some parking lots if the right material with out to many spines thorns and such were used, because they love heat and lower amounts of water.
abborean
Ready to Bolt

Post by abborean »

One of mine bloomed and split into two heads a few years ago. A shame the sexes are on different plants. I was hoping for seed. They have a lot of these planted around Wrightsville Beach NC near Wilmington.
SC FM
Ready to Bolt

Post by SC FM »

In our SE humidity and rainfall, drainage is the key. Mine has never gotten any fungi problems as well. Some of the more 'fleshy' ones like americana, have to be sprayed with fungicide to prevent fungal damage here. I have been only up as far as Calabash and sunset Beach near Little River and North Mrytle Beach, SC. Maybe I will make it further up the coast sometime to your area.
SC FM
Ready to Bolt

Post by SC FM »

I removed the Dasylirion wheelerii because it was dominating the entire bed and I could hardly work around it. My advice is if you plant one give them plenty of room as they really get massive, and with the backward turned spines will get you if you try and weed , LOL(NOT)!