Sansevieria pinguicula... I think I'm in love

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Beaucarnea, Calibanus, Cordyline, Dasylirion, Dracaena, Nolina, Sansevieria and related species.

Moderator: Spination

Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Re: Sansevieria pinguicula... I think I'm in love

Post by Azuleja »

The problem with buying the slow growers in small sizes is waiting a year for each leaf. At least that's what I measured on some before and after photos on the Sanseverix website. I'm not that patient.
Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by Gee.S »

I dunno, that may describe the likes of S. rorida and S. pinguicula (maybe...), but most Sans are fast growers if you find their sweet spot.

One year's growth.

ImageImage

And it's still smaller than the S. ehrenbergii I picked up at AL.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
Brooksphilly
Ready to Bolt

Post by Brooksphilly »

i am envious that you are able to visit AL and select plants. Gorgeous sans you have! After disappointing results, I am leery of buying site unseen thru nurseries. Have learned the hard way to only use excellent sellers who will show me an exact picture of the plant.
Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Post by Azuleja »

Gee, your arborescens is a looker. We don't have many bright spots for houseplants inside and I've already killed a $20 cylindrica in the cold. I'm going to a c&s show today though, so who knows what I might come home with.
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

Believe me, I get it. I don't have bright indoor spots either. I do have three Sans indoors in a NE facing window, and while they look attractive and healthy, they certainly aren't thriving and growing like those I keep outdoors. Most like it brighter than the brightest window, and most like wind. Problem is, every new find is another plant I'll have to shuttle in and out of the cold through winter. I don't mind a few, but at some point it starts getting tedious. And sooner or later, I'll miscalculate or forget just once -- and it won't be pretty.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

Steph115
Ready to Bolt

Post by Steph115 »

What do you guys think of this? Labeled S. Robusta and for a great price.
Attachments
IMG_5407.JPG
IMG_5407.JPG (67.38 KiB) Viewed 4793 times
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

Lucky girl! I had to wipe my chin! Oh that's going to be a beast, isn't it?
Agave

Steph115
Ready to Bolt

Post by Steph115 »

It really is. I couldn't believe the size. I had to double & triple check the price.
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

Way to go!

BTW, wish me luck! I finally worked up the nerve to try my S. ehrenbergii on the patio table, where it will be exposed to considerable direct sun. It's even darker than the S. pinguicula. I never hesitated exposing the ping for two reasons; it's small so easy to protect to some extent with larger neighbors, and even if it does burn a little, that little guy is more about future stilted offsets. And it's been exposed for long enough now that I'm no longer concerned. S. ehrenbergii burns OTOH, will absolutely ruin it. Fingers crossed.
Agave

Steph115
Ready to Bolt

Post by Steph115 »

Good luck! I have faith your ehrenbergii will be ok. Ive yet to see the fleshier / more cylindrical sans burn, but this is only in my limited experience. My blue pinguicula takes the strongest sun out of any of my plants actually. Your ehrenbergii looks green in photos - is it green in person as well or does it have any glaucous coating to it?

Regarding my recent pick up: Do you think S. Robusta is the correct ID? When I first looked it up it came up with flat-leaved sans, but then there were some ID'd as "s. Robusta 'fat form'" which resemble the one I got.
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

I don't see why not, but wth do I know? :))

Here are a couple robusta pics from a Journal article.
Sansevieria robusta
Sansevieria robusta
robust1.jpg (71.3 KiB) Viewed 4782 times
Sansevieria robusta
Sansevieria robusta
robust2.jpg (49.26 KiB) Viewed 4782 times
Agave

Steph115
Ready to Bolt

Post by Steph115 »

Cool cool - I just like to pick y'alls brains especially with the tricky sans! The one thing that struck me as a little different is the slight rotation of the leaves.
Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Post by Azuleja »

Hey, what a great find! Congratulations :) I had so much fun at the c&s show today. There were literally only two sans on the sale side, but I zeroed in on them. I was a late arrival but figured I'd still find something fun. Nothing like your awesome score though.
Steph115
Ready to Bolt

Post by Steph115 »

Thanks Azul! I really like the one you came home with from the C&S show as well. Very beautiful, long leaves.
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Steph... I think it looks nice and robust. ::wink:: Nice find!
Steph115
Ready to Bolt

Post by Steph115 »

Thanks Spiny! They had this and several S. pinguiculas with two mature rosettes for $15, all in pretty good condition. They had them on the floor :o not getting the attention they deserved. Had to hold myself back from buying more. Other than that, they had francisii, "starfish" (boncel?), and a couple different types of cylindrical/flat-leaved sans.
jayhouseplant
Rhizome

Post by jayhouseplant »

Steph115 wrote:Thanks Spiny! They had this and several S. pinguiculas with two mature rosettes for $15, all in pretty good condition. They had them on the floor :o not getting the attention they deserved. Had to hold myself back from buying more. Other than that, they had francisii, "starfish" (boncel?), and a couple different types of cylindrical/flat-leaved sans.

Wish I was there! I wanted to by a pinguicula :(
Steph115
Ready to Bolt

Post by Steph115 »

Jay - next time I go I can snag one for you if you're willing to pay $15+ shipping. They've had the pings every time I've been, so it seems like they carry them pretty regularly. They're by far the most reasonably priced S. pinguicula I've seen.
jayhouseplant
Rhizome

Post by jayhouseplant »

Steph - thank you so much. yeah, I'd be willing to do that. Are these events annually or do they have it throughout the year?
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

Here's an online S. pinguicula description that cracked me up...
Silvery-gray thick horny wedge leaves, channeled on top with rounded swollen underside, tipped with sharp spine--looks like an Agave trying to morph into a punk sausage.
Agave

Steph115
Ready to Bolt

Post by Steph115 »

Gee - that's hilarious! And I have to give it to them for really capturing the likeness. Those leaves aren't messing around.

Jay - It's no special event, just the normal inventory at East Austin Succulents. I wouldn't be surprised if they stop carrying them once the weather turns cold, though. Not sure when my next trip will be but I'll keep you in mind when I go.
Steph115
Ready to Bolt

Post by Steph115 »

Im just going to throw out there that I have a problem with pinguiculas. I can't seem to stop collecting them. Every time I see one that has a particularly nice shape or color, it catches my eye and I contemplate bringing it home. This time though, I really couldn't resist.

This pinguicula measures at 13 inches tall. It was really the shape of the leaves though that got me. I couldn't resist the wind blown appearance of it.

I feel like it must be some kind of hybrid, which has been mentioned here previously. What I love about it though is that it has retained all the quintissential pinguicula traits - from the leaf symmetry, to the base, to the highly stilted roots and above ground method of offsetting.

What do you guys think? Pinguicula - robusta hybrid? Or just intraspecies variation? Here's a photo below of my existing ping (which itself is large on average) compared to the new beast.
Attachments
Giant versus normal sansevieria pinguicula
Giant versus normal sansevieria pinguicula
IMG_6694.JPG (114.32 KiB) Viewed 4522 times
Giant sansevieria pinguicula
IMG_6695.JPG (191.77 KiB) Viewed 4522 times
IMG_6698.JPG (140.28 KiB) Viewed 4522 times
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Wow, very nice! I didn't know myself if they got that big (don't have any of my own), so I looked in The Splendid Sansevieria book and he gives leaf length up to 12". Also, the pic of the blooming specimen in there doesn't really look much different from yours.... except, yours does have that great wind-blown appearance you mentioned.
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

FANTASTIC! You are the giant ping lady! Your grandkids are becoming concerned that you don't love them any more -- lol. One of the pups is stilting. Not bad for sitting outside all winter.
Sansevieria pinguicula
Sansevieria pinguicula
Ping 002.JPG (100.47 KiB) Viewed 4515 times
Agave

Steph115
Ready to Bolt

Post by Steph115 »

Hahah the grandkids are GORGEOUS! Beautiful seafoam green turquoise color. And the margins/spines are so immaculate and perfect. It's turning into quite the grouping. Curious - how cold does it get where you are during winter?

And Spiny, thanks for the info from Splendid Sans. That's good to know and makes me love it even more :D