Growing Sans Collection

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Beaucarnea, Calibanus, Cordyline, Dasylirion, Dracaena, Nolina, Sansevieria and related species.

Moderator: Spination

Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Growing Sans Collection

Post by Gee.S »

I've added a couple new Sansevieria to my small collection, and decided to rescue one that has proven unusually hardy. Also, the S. cylindrica I had potted up several weeks back is already getting busy. There is much more cylindrica planted out in a raised bed.
S. cylindrica new offset
S. cylindrica new offset
Sans 006.JPG (87.55 KiB) Viewed 6503 times
Sansevieria suffruticosa
Sansevieria suffruticosa
Sans 001.JPG (70.9 KiB) Viewed 6503 times
S. trifasciata 'Bantel's Sensation' -- pretty sure this has some A. weberi mediopicta in there somewhere...
S. trifasciata 'Bantel's Sensation' -- pretty sure this has some A. weberi mediopicta in there somewhere...
Sans 002.JPG (89.87 KiB) Viewed 6503 times
Rescued S. elliptica
Rescued S. elliptica
Sans 007.JPG (98.42 KiB) Viewed 6503 times
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
Gee.S
Site Admin

Re: Growing Sans Collection

Post by Gee.S »

Here are a few more. I've tried many different Sans here, and most have proven too tender. Only the very hardiest are still around. In my experience, tall trifasciata are the most tender, while more compact trifasciata varieties are a bit tougher. My best trifasciata performer has been 'Black Gold Superba'.
Unknown compact trifasciata type took a beating last winter, but hanging on.
Unknown compact trifasciata type took a beating last winter, but hanging on.
Sans 008.JPG (103.29 KiB) Viewed 6502 times
S. trifasciata 'Black Gold Superba'
Sans 012.JPG (122.39 KiB) Viewed 6502 times
Sans 014.JPG (94.94 KiB) Viewed 6502 times
S. cylindrica
S. cylindrica
Sans 015.JPG (138.29 KiB) Viewed 6502 times
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Very nice!
IDing some of these guys is tough, especially that some species are dimorphic, with a juvenile and mature form. I've read that some can take 10 years to finally reveal a mature form, and only if allowed to keep growing without continually harvesting the offsets. S. fischeri is one such species which comes to mind. Similarly, I've noticed that plants allowed to continue the growth of it's underground rhizome may well produce additional leaves or rosettes that get larger and larger. It's as if the original plant rosette supports the growing rhizome, which then in turn creates larger subsequent rosettes, which continue the process until ultimately mature form is achieved.

Anyway, my best guess on the Sans "sumptinsumptin" at this point would be S. suffruticosa var suffruticosa. The look of your plant now matches fairly well the example in Juan Chahinian's book, and there is mention in the description that leaves can grow either in rosette or distichous form, so that fits as well. Color, cross-banding all look about right for that species.
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

Thanks, S. suffruticosa seems about right. Here is the last member of my Sans collection, S. trifasciata 'Moonshine'.
Sans_Core 001.JPG
Sans_Core 001.JPG (66.84 KiB) Viewed 6484 times
Agave

Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

A couple more new additions.... These weren't my first choices, but I'm not ready to shell out $50 - $70 for a single 6" Sans...
S. cf arboreacence / S. fischeri
S. cf arboreacence / S. fischeri
San_Pedro 2 103.JPG (88.04 KiB) Viewed 6470 times
Agave

Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

Note to self: S. fischeri no for you.
Agave

Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

:U I like it!
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

Three days getting 2-3 hours mid-afternoon sun = already burned. My S. cylindrica takes waaaay more sun than that. Oh well, live and learn, eh? I was surprised at the amount of sun some Sans were getting at AL. BTW, I used to think of AL as a (primarily) online nursery centered in Aloes, Agaves and cacti. Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong..... This is a Sansevieria nursery that also sells a few Aloes, Agaves and cacti.
Agave

Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

I think you'll find that like Agave, it all comes down to acclimation. A plant used to sun protection will burn very easily suddenly moved to a sunnier location, but plants gradually accustomed to direct sun will handle it quite well. This is also addressed by Juan Chahinian in his book, and he is a champion of direct sun treatment for many of his plants, and at the least, insists that they require bright light conditions to grow well and into proper form. As I recall reading, he is growing many outdoor in Florida, so the greater threat of frost/freeze is minimized, a situation they don't have to face in their natural environment south of the equator. Also, excellent provisions for drainage prevent them from getting water-logged, another condition they don't handle well. However, apparently the majority don't mind direct sun. I learned this additionally from your success growing some of yours outside in sun.
I think we all hear about how they are great indoor plants, and handle low-light conditions well, so perhaps an incorrect assumption might be made that these less than optimal conditions are actually desirable.
Although indoor conditions may not be as favorable for the plants themselves, it is important to note that growing them indoors is very good for the humans coinhabiting. D)) Even NASA did a study extolling their virtue as air-filtering plants which remove toxic pollutants. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NASA_Clean_Air_Study" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I don't grow mine in direct sun, but the light filtered by shade cloth is still very bright. I've only burned one plant so far, and sunburn damage is devastating and permanent. Here's a well after the fact shot of my sunburn victim, and you can see the original leaf is dead, the second rosette bears permanent scars on the leaves present at the time of the incident, and the newest rosette currently growing is clean. This plant sunburned due to being moved abruptly to a non sun filtered location, and was moved back as soon as the effect was realized.
I can't attest to the validity of the ID the plant came with...
2016 09 03 Sansevieria Lake Eyasi X750.jpg
2016 09 03 Sansevieria Lake Eyasi X750.jpg (152.15 KiB) Viewed 6445 times

By the way, in looking again at the picture of your rescued S. elliptica, as it recovers, I believe those leaves giving the appearance of a deep channel are what I refer to as rolled/folded closed. In time, those leaves should open up and take on a more flat shape as it recovers. I have found that these plants in distress (usually not getting enough water at the time - such as what happens during bare-root shipping) will do that, perhaps to conserve energy/resources and survive until conditions are more favorable. When it is observed with very thick leaved S. hallii, it is even more astonishing. One would not expect a leaf more than 1/2" thick to behave with such a level of plasticity.
Here's my amazing example - same plant pictured 15 days apart.
2015 10 04 Sans halli Var c X500.jpg
2015 10 04 Sans halli Var c X500.jpg (80.5 KiB) Viewed 6445 times
2015 10 19 Sans halli Var a X600.jpg
2015 10 19 Sans halli Var a X600.jpg (168.68 KiB) Viewed 6445 times
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

Ouch, that's a bad one to burn you have there. Not such a big deal with cylindrica-type Sans.

I'll say this, it takes a lotta sun to damage a cylindrica, even one that has never seen direct sun before. I'll also add that frost and sun damage are indistinguishable in this plant. The damaged section simply turns white, leaving no evidence of cause.
Agave

Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

I agree. The flat leaf does have the quality of maximizing it's surface area collecting sunlight, but the round leaf seems much more ideal in terms of not being overly exposed to potential damage. That makes me think that perhaps flat leaved plants are more natural in shady situations, and cylindrical leaves more natural in exposed situations. I don't know this for fact, it's just speculation, but it does seem logical.
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

Not just leaf shape, these small squat Sans may never poke above shade sources such as grass, while taller examples appear to be reaching for the sun. If one of each were growing side-by-side, one might be far more exposed than the other.
Agave

Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

The S. fischeri has just become my latest houseplant. I've been watching it carefully today, and there is nowhere on my outdoor succulent table where it won't get lit up for at least a couple hours.
Agave

Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

Spination wrote:I agree. The flat leaf does have the quality of maximizing it's surface area collecting sunlight, but the round leaf seems much more ideal in terms of not being overly exposed to potential damage. That makes me think that perhaps flat leaved plants are more natural in shady situations, and cylindrical leaves more natural in exposed situations. I don't know this for fact, it's just speculation, but it does seem logical.
So this may or may not be true in general terms, but I can now tell you with some certainty that S. arborescens can take more sun than some of my Agaves. I don't know that they can take mid-day summer sun here, and I'll probably never test that, but my plant is now getting about 6 hours of unfiltered sun each day, and shaking it off like water on a duck's back. And this after growing under the same shade cloth as S. fischeri, presumably for years. I ran into a woman who said she saw a full hillside of arborescens planted out at a hotel in Yemen, all in full sun, sunup to sundown.
Agave

Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Good info on S. arborescens. Chahinian lists it as "prefers bright light", and did you know those will grow 7' tall? :shock: :)) I think all the sun they can take without burning is desirable. The problem for me is that once it's discovered that any particular plant is getting too much too fast, it's too late, so it's advisable to transition from shade to sun gradually. Most of mine are all variegates, and a bit pricey not to take an err on the side of caution approach. My default with those is growing in protection and covered with shade cloth, but it's still quite brightly lit, and amounts to just some filtering of the harshest sun's rays.

Not sure what I'm going to do once this thing gets up there taller than me, but fortunately I have quite a few years to go before that happens, or so I think. D))
2016 07 17 Sansevieria arborescens Variegated #1 X750.jpg
2016 07 17 Sansevieria arborescens Variegated #1 X750.jpg (220.8 KiB) Viewed 6384 times
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

Do yours ever offset? I ask because the shady nursery from which I picked mine up had at least twenty of them, and none had offsets. Yet here is this woman describing a sunny hillside covered with them, which suggests possibly heavy offsetting. Now I wonder if adequate sunlight is requisite for offsetting, understandably a tricky business with your variegates.... We'll see if any little ones pop up for me in the next few months.
Agave

Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Yes, in the sense that many species do spread by underground rhizomes. I would say that the majority of the species in my collection have produced new growth(s). My understanding of it to date is that this comes with time, and maturity. As the underground rhizome grows, gets fatter, stores more energy as produced by the above ground part(s) of the plant, the more new "plants" will come up. The way I said that may not be entirely accurate, because the new "plants" are still actually part of the old one, connected by the rhizome/tuber-like organ. Propagators do remove them from the soil, separate them, and then of course they become separate plants. Many that were sent to me bare root are very easy to see that they were severed from a larger rhizome, as the healed-over cut is easy to detect. Most really do not look like they are individual plants grown from seed, and actually I'm pretty sure all of my plants were propagates derived from rhizomes. I would say for sure all of my variegates are most definitely rhizome propagates.
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

You seem to be answering a much larger question than the one I asked. I was just asking if any of your S. arborescens had produced offsets since you've had them?
Agave

Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

True, looks like I overexplained. The direct answer is no, but since the largest of 3 is less than 1 foot tall, I expect it is not nearly mature enough to start. I'd be truly surprised if it does anything in the offset department sooner than a couple more years, if it's at least a few feet tall by then, and the rhizome puts on some bulk. It's not at all like Agave or Aloe which can produce multiple pups, even when young. With Sansevieria, it's one at a time, after the original plant has grown enough for the rhizome to grow, which then has enough energy to put out another shoot, and so on. Even my most "prolific" plants at best add one new shoot per year.... so far.

EDIT
OK, hold on...I just thought of one plant that simulaneously had 5 above ground stolons at the same time (Sansevieria bella 'Mutomo'). I got it as a small rosette in 2013. Two years later, the 5 stolons appeared eventually forming new rosettes on each end. One year later, one of those rosettes produced it's own stolon, which now has it's own rosette on the end of that. That's how that particular plant stands today. That would be the only exception to the one new produced rosette plants per year within my collection.
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

I've had very young S. trifasciata and S. cylindrica offset. My experience suggests happy S. cylindrica will offset after growing only three leaves. And it's like dominoes. Plant adds a third leaf, then produces a single offset, that offset adds three leaves, then offsets, on and on. If that is not happening, at least with my cylindrica, they're not happy.
Agave

Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

Couple more pickups at $4 each. S. francisii & another version of S. fischeri.
erectocentrus_3 035.JPG
erectocentrus_3 035.JPG (96.95 KiB) Viewed 6318 times
Agave

Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

Here is a current shot of the plant pictured in post #5. I checked that old pic from 10 months ago, and am shocked at the growth, not to mention thrilled with the offset. So not only can S. arboreacence handle intense heat and sun, it absolutely thrives on it.

Agave

Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

That's awesome. :U 6 feet tall - here we come! :D
Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Post by Azuleja »

Wow, it looks great!
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

Spination wrote:That's awesome. :U 6 feet tall - here we come! :D
Kinduva tricky business for you though, isn't it? Yours have been slow to offset, while mine seems to be going crazy, and I'd bet the difference is sun. But then your plants are variegates, right? So they may not take sun as well, and you'd be understandably hesitant to risk them. My plant is protected from mid-day sun, but otherwise getting torched pretty good, and I've never seen it yellow, even a little.

Not surprisingly, mama Sans was apparently not pleased with the close proximity of her offset. Rhizome hit the pot rim, then traveled along it, and didn't stop until it started heading back in the wrong direction. I'll have to repot if I want more offsets. I'll probably do just that once the little guy puts on enough size to cut the cord and put a little more distance between them.

One thing that bothers me a little about my plant, it often has a drop or two of moisture on top, you can see it in my recent pic. I'm afraid some unseen little critters are poking holes in it. Does your Sans book address that at all?
Azuleja wrote:Wow, it looks great!
Thanks Azul!
Agave