Sansevieria hallii Pink Bat

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Beaucarnea, Calibanus, Cordyline, Dasylirion, Dracaena, Nolina, Sansevieria and related species.

Moderator: Spination

Spination
Ready to Bolt

Sansevieria hallii Pink Bat

Post by Spination »

I've cracked the 4 year mark now by a couple of months since I got this one, and from it's original single small rosette, there are now 4 distinct growths, each new one averaging one a year so far, and outdoing the last in size.
This is one of my very first Sans acquired, so a special one to me. Indeed, it does have a pink hue to it.
That's not a small pot, but it might be time for a bigger one anyway... ::wink::
2018 01 04 Sansevieria hallii Pink Bat .jpg
2018 01 04 Sansevieria hallii Pink Bat .jpg (97.16 KiB) Viewed 4861 times
2018 01 04 Sansevieria hallii Pink Bat a.jpg
2018 01 04 Sansevieria hallii Pink Bat a.jpg (51.99 KiB) Viewed 4861 times
2018 01 04 Sansevieria hallii Pink Bat b.jpg
2018 01 04 Sansevieria hallii Pink Bat b.jpg (57.69 KiB) Viewed 4861 times
Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Re: Sansevieria hallii Pink Bat

Post by Gee.S »

Looks strong and healthy, but a slow grower, eh?

I just looked for cultivation info, but all I found was 'from an area hotter and dryer than most'.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Yes, and no. The original rosette is no bigger now (that I can tell) than when it came 4 years ago. But the second growth is longer than the first, and more upright in stature than the curved leaves of the original. The 3rd growth is bigger yet, and the 4th growth consisting of 2 leaves features the longer of the two now 13" in length. That last one exploded out of the pot seemingly out of nowhere and grew very fast. I expect it's now full size and my expectation is that all four rosettes are putting their energy to store into the underground rhizome, which will at some point create a new rosette, and I would guess it's size to surpass the last. Also, once it makes it's appearance, it's growth should again be very surprisingly fast. This seems to be the strategy of many of these Sans, that the original plant puts it's energy into growing another that's larger, and so on and so forth. Kind of like that snowball that rolls down the hill, gathering steam and getting bigger and bigger...

Edit: Chahinian states on page 66 within the entry for Pink Bat that the specimen pictured in his book was collected "Venda", a region in northernmost part of South Africa.

Edit Edit (lol): here's a link giving some climate info on the region:
https://www.sa-venues.com/weather/limpopo.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

The earlier pics from early January. I figured it was time for a bigger pot.

In March, I made that happen. Plenty of room now...
2018 03 24 Sansevieria hallii Pink Bat X900.jpg
2018 03 24 Sansevieria hallii Pink Bat X900.jpg (169.97 KiB) Viewed 4775 times
Good timing, too!
On May 30, I noticed a disturbance of the soil at the edge of the pot. I sprayed a little water on it, and revealed this. Yup, every year, a new one added.
2018 05 30 Sansevieria hallii Pink Bat b.jpg
2018 05 30 Sansevieria hallii Pink Bat b.jpg (306.63 KiB) Viewed 4775 times
A week later, growing fast
2018 06 06 Sansevieria hallii Pink Bat b.jpg
2018 06 06 Sansevieria hallii Pink Bat b.jpg (133.89 KiB) Viewed 4775 times
5 days later, I just realized that there's another one on the other side of the pot, near that edge.
2018 06 11 Sansevieria Pink Bat e.jpg
2018 06 11 Sansevieria Pink Bat e.jpg (132.01 KiB) Viewed 4775 times
I'm expecting both new "bats" to exceed the size of the last one, which was the biggest to date then. The new pot with all that extra room suddenly is looking like it's going to be pretty crowded again. D))
Stan
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10a

Post by Stan »

I like that. The "baseball bat" Sans have always interested me..I just new I couldnt keep them outdoors. They look to barely take soucal winters.
Hayward Ca. 75-80f summers,60f winters.
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

I would love to have one finally get into the range of that reported more than 2' in height that I have read - but I'm getting the distinct impression that such plants are indeed quite old. In the meantime, I keep watching mine grow. with each new tower erupting from the soil attaining a larger size than the one that preceded it. I thought I had upped the pot size sufficiently this last time around, but I had not anticipated two new growths this year for this cluster. They're already at the pot edges, so the message is clear - I'm going to have to get another new pot, and it's going to have to be clay (makes growing them much easier), and it's going to have to be before next year. :))
Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by Gee.S »

Hahaha - Sans are funny that way, right? Go ahead and get another new pot, and your Sans will immediately get to work on squeezing that one too.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Gotta love how that works. :))
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

To document the growth rate of this fairly well developed cluster (meaning good combined rhizome structure underground to provide energy for growth), here is the current situation with tape measure photographed.
On 5/30...this leaf was basically nowhere (just broke the soil surface), and now it's at 5 inches. I'm feeling like that is a pretty amazing rate of growth.
What makes it rather noticeable to me, is that every couple of days, I see the soil being displaced and pushed upwards... cluing me in that there's some growin' a goin' on...
2018 06 25 Sansevieria halli Pink Bat _ new leaf 5 inches now.jpg
2018 06 25 Sansevieria halli Pink Bat _ new leaf 5 inches now.jpg (159.82 KiB) Viewed 4701 times
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

9" tall now!
2018 07 26 Sansevieria halli Pink Bat a.jpg
2018 07 26 Sansevieria halli Pink Bat a.jpg (174.19 KiB) Viewed 4645 times
1 1/4" width
2018 07 26 Sansevieria halli Pink Bat b.jpg
2018 07 26 Sansevieria halli Pink Bat b.jpg (108.8 KiB) Viewed 4645 times
By the time this leaf is done growing, I think I'll really feel for the first time a sense of the appropriateness of it's name "bat". D))
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Today. Spears shooting out in several different directions. One (right side) is 15" from the soil line. Another 14 1/2", and 3 more at exactly 14". Apparently, they do keep growing even after years and new ones come along. The original rosette is the small two leaf rosette in the center. Everything else all generated subsequently from that one original rosette, year by year.
2019 07 02 Sansevieria halli Pink Bat a.jpg
2019 07 02 Sansevieria halli Pink Bat a.jpg (210.95 KiB) Viewed 4301 times
I like to make use of empty spaces with tiny pots of my more favorite aloe seedlings. Today, one was toppled over. This new growth popped out this far from yesterday to today... When the cluster decides to add a new spear, it really grows like crazy in a hurry.
2019 07 02 Sansevieria halli Pink Bat.jpg
2019 07 02 Sansevieria halli Pink Bat.jpg (171.13 KiB) Viewed 4301 times