Blooming Sansevieria ballyi

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Beaucarnea, Calibanus, Cordyline, Dasylirion, Dracaena, Nolina, Sansevieria and related species.

Moderator: Spination

Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Blooming Sansevieria ballyi

Post by Gee.S »

This Sans doesn't like all the direct sun it's getting, but that didn't stop it from strutting its stuff.
Sansevieria ballyi
Sansevieria ballyi
Sans_bloom 005.JPG (86.63 KiB) Viewed 1550 times
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Re: Blooming Sansevieria ballyi

Post by Spination »

Nice looking trio there...
Stan
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10a

Post by Stan »

Nice..very nice. I'm starting melt and think I should try the species Sans. I see HD offers them as houseplants..but I need outdoor hardy Sans. Not many of them this far north.
Hayward Ca. 75-80f summers,60f winters.
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

My recommendation is to start with S. cylindrica. Very upright and sturdy, they don't take up much room. Mine are in ground and competing for space with some Agaves and are holding their own. Plant one or two out, right in the middle of a crowd, and see how they do, just as a test pilot program. I can probably send you some that are getting squashed by Agaves.

No Sans take sub-freezing temps for more than very brief spells. Believe me, if I didn't go sub-freezing here during winter, I would have all my Sans in the ground.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

So now that it's done blooming from its airzome, the airzome is making a new airzome!
S. ballyi
S. ballyi
Ping 005.JPG (199.06 KiB) Viewed 1475 times
Agave

Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Oh yeah, Nice! It's the chain-gang. :))
Steph115
Ready to Bolt

Post by Steph115 »

Very cool. This seems somewhat atypical? I feel like in most of the other photos of ya'lls sans, it's the mature base that has multiple offsets before the newbies have any. This one is just advanced perhaps? :8:
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

I'm with you Steph, I don't really know if this is typical, but in the end all that is happening is that the head wants a new growth point after blooming. It will be interesting to see whether it forms another new growth point at the top near the bloom stalk any time soon. It's clear that the base plant did just that at one time, and had it bloomed again, may be branching out just as you suggest.
Agave