Dracaena fragrans 'Compacta'

Use this forum to help with identification issues and to show off your beautiful plants, one species, subspecies, and cultivar at a time.

Moderator: Spination

Forum rules
This section is dedicated toward maintaining one active thread for each Dracaenaceae species/subspecies/variety/cultivar. Please feel free to add information and/or photos to existing threads or start your own by adding Genus/species as the thread subject. Note that listings are displayed alphabetically. Enjoy!
Geoff

Dracaena fragrans 'Compacta'

Post by Geoff »

aka Dracaena 'Compacta', Dracaena 'Janet Craig', Dracaena deremensis 'Compacta'; Dracaena 'Janet Craig Compacta'... etc. This is a neat, compact form of Dracaena fragrans, a common species used for indoor cultivation since it has such a good tolerance for low light and low humidity, pretty remarkable considering its relatively tropical origins. Dracaena 'Compacta' is an exceptionally good indoor plant as it is quite slow growing and retains a lot of leaves if watered fairly well and misted, giving it a unique, ornamental and long lasting quality, rarely outgrowing its pot or location. It does well as an outdoor plant as well if you happen to live in a humid zone 10a, or any zone 10b or above. I tried this one in zone 9b and it was pretty badly damaged every winter (though survived about 3 winters). It is a bit touchy about being planted in poor soil (clay for example) as it roots when cold and wet in poorly draining soils. Commonly available plant as most garden outlet stores
Dracaena compacta sperling (2).jpg
Dracaena compacta sperling (2).jpg (144.31 KiB) Viewed 5489 times
Dracaena compacta in mall.jpg
Dracaena compacta in mall.jpg (111.25 KiB) Viewed 5489 times
Dracaena Compacta Sperling.jpg
Dracaena Compacta Sperling.jpg (138.35 KiB) Viewed 5489 times
Dracaena compactas Sperling.jpg
Dracaena compactas Sperling.jpg (117.61 KiB) Viewed 5489 times
Stan
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10a

Re: Dracaena fragrans 'Compacta'

Post by Stan »

I have one well over 20 years old. Maybe pushing 30. It first bloomed at 18years. No scent. Last winter as it is good sized,I kept in on the porch in the warmest bay area winter ever. Survived,but was going backwards by spring. Indoors its one of the easiest plants ever. As with many plants that seem Polynesian - its the warm nights that make them happy,not blazing hot weather.
btw, The top of one old stem snapped off once and I re rooted it in another pot. It bloomed the next year.
Hayward Ca. 75-80f summers,60f winters.