Nolina matapensis

Use this forum to help with identification issues and to show off your beautiful plants, one species, subspecies, and cultivar at a time.

Moderator: Spination

Forum rules
This section is dedicated toward maintaining one active thread for each Dracaenaceae species/subspecies/variety/cultivar. Please feel free to add information and/or photos to existing threads or start your own by adding Genus/species as the thread subject. Note that listings are displayed alphabetically. Enjoy!
GreekDesert
Ready to Bolt

Nolina matapensis

Post by GreekDesert »

Nolina matapensis
Attachments
Herbst 2010 338.jpg
Herbst 2010 338.jpg (167.67 KiB) Viewed 4216 times
GreekDesert
Ready to Bolt

Re: Nolina matapensis

Post by GreekDesert »

Nolina matapensis
Attachments
Nolina.matapensis.jpg
Nolina.matapensis.jpg (83.62 KiB) Viewed 4213 times
Paul S
Ready to Bolt

Post by Paul S »

Lovely.

I find Nolina matapensis to be a little bit of a puzzle. I was searching for images of it a while back and, broadly, they split into two different looking plants. One is like this with a dense crown of narrow, drooping, blue-ish leaves. It seems to form short-trunked plants with multiple heads in time. The other has shorter, wider, more rigid, greener leaves with an open crown. Taller trunked, sparsely branched. Yet both purportedly Nolina matapensis, grown from seed collected from habitat.

Given the lack of work generally on Nolina it raises the possibility (probability?) to me that there is more than one trunked nolina out there in Sonora, but no-one has identified them accurately. I can imagine the thought processes - 'Oh look, there's a trunked nolina - must be matapensis as literature says that is the trunked species for here' For sure almost everywhere I have traveled in Mexico I've seen nolinas, trunked and stemless, and some don't conform to anything in literature - either new species or known species outside of their observed range. Same with Dasylirion.
GreekDesert
Ready to Bolt

Post by GreekDesert »

I also think that the two genera should be further investigated. There may be at Nolina as well as several varieties like the agave or there are actually still some undiscovered species.
While there is an article about Nolina by F. Hochstätter but I have not bought . See also the studies by other scientists would be important because a single opinion here ranges probably not .

Some Dasylirion are very difficult to distinguish , one of my cedrosanum has green leaves, the other D. cedronsanum has blue leaves.
My D. palmeri is at once a D. cedrosanum and I have three different d berlandieri , of which only one is called D. berlandieri ...

I myself was unfortunately never able to assist in localities of examined plants but i am very interested in other opinions and I try this wonderful forum with my few experiences

Two different Nolina matapensis I have seen in pictures, beautiful and interesting it is natural to see them in real life as you

Alex
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Nolina matapensis 2 Hunt.jpg
Nolina matapensis Hunt1.jpg
Nolina matapensis Hunt1.jpg (178.48 KiB) Viewed 4202 times
Nolina matapensis Huntington.jpg
Nolina matapensis Huntington.jpg (194.68 KiB) Viewed 4202 times
Nolina matapensis smaller.jpg
Nolina matapensis smaller.jpg (163.02 KiB) Viewed 4202 times
Nolina matapensis flowering large May.jpg
Nolina matapensis small flowering end May.jpg
Nolina matapensis small flowering end May.jpg (166.88 KiB) Viewed 4202 times
Nolina matapensis flower close up.jpg
Nolina matapensis flower close up.jpg (175.95 KiB) Viewed 4202 times
this is this plant according to the Huntington Garden folks
Luc
Ready to Bolt

Post by Luc »

Nolina matapensis according to the very serious Jardin botanique de la Villa Thuret - Antibes - France

(http://www6.sophia.inra.fr/jardin_thuret/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
Nolina matapensis1.JPG
Nolina matapensis1.JPG (136.28 KiB) Viewed 4156 times
Nolina matapensis.JPG
Nolina matapensis.JPG (228.7 KiB) Viewed 4156 times
JonConga
Seedling

Post by JonConga »

Heavily shaded youngster at Boyce Thompson arboretum, Superior, AZ.
Attachments
IMG_2084.jpg
IMG_2084.jpg (156.27 KiB) Viewed 3871 times