Who grows them?

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to succulent Asclepiads, including Stapelia, Huernia, Orbea, Adenium, Pachypodium and related species.

Moderator: mickthecactus

mickthecactus

Who grows them?

Post by mickthecactus »

Most members on here are from the USA.

Are Stapeliads not particularly popular there?
Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Re: Who grows them?

Post by Gee.S »

I think they're fairly popular here, I have a couple that have somehow managed to survive out of doors in a raised bed. For my part, I just don't do indoor gardening, and Arizona is a tough row to hoe for these guys.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
Melt in the Sun
Ready to Bolt

Post by Melt in the Sun »

I have tried quite a few and failed with most. I'm not sure why! They seem to lose roots when watered and lose them when not watered, etiolate on the porch then roast in the sun, etc. I've managed to keep Stapelia leendertziae alive easily, along with Orbea melanantha and huernia schneideriana. I have failed with many others, included 4 times now with Edithcolea. I can keep that one alive til spring, but it never survives the transition back outside.
mickthecactus

Post by mickthecactus »

Sometimes they expire if you just look at them wrongly........

I've never been successful with Edithcolea. The biggest plant I have seen was in Jamaica which gives a clue as to the conditions they like.

What about Huernias. Orbeas, Stapelias etc?
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

I tried for years to grow all these outdoors in Los Angeles, and failed with most (some Stapelias and Huernias do well)... now that I have a greenhouse they are a lot easier.
mickthecactus

Post by mickthecactus »

Obviously in my climate it's always greenhouse although some of the tougher Stapelias and the Fockea go out in summer.
Peterthecactusguy
Ready to Bolt

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

I have one tiny one left over. I won't intentionally kill it but it likely will die.. I grow mine in a pot in deep shade and have to bring it in for winter.
Melt in the Sun
Ready to Bolt

Got one of these today... :)) It couldn't have been in a less convenient place for a photo.
mickthecactus

Post by mickthecactus »

Leendertziae I guess. I find it pretty tough.
Otter
Bulbil

Post by Otter »

I'm an American, and a big fan of Asclepiads! Have a couple handfuls of them and they're all doing quite well, although i can only tell you the conditions i grow them, i dont know any secret about them other than watering more than once a week is a really bad idea in my climate. I grow them against a west facing white wall that gets an hour+ of morning sun followed by 2 or 3 hrs of midday shade and 4-5hrs of late aftn sun into sunset. I never water more than once every wk in full summer and no more than a thimblefull in winter. Some of the larger pots i have a bamboo skewer in the soil to gauge moisture beyond the surface. From what i've read, their natural habitat is very rocky, quick draining and highly evaporative so it leads me to believe their roots like to be totally dry before wetting again. As for Edithcolea, someone told me to grow it Very dry, bright light, and low humidity. So far i've managed to keep the little guy alive, but in those conditions the buds never develop and just dry up.
mickthecactus

Post by mickthecactus »

I have 2 dozen Edithcolea seedlings which I have in the propagator. They get some water once a week and seem quite happy so far.......
Melt in the Sun
Ready to Bolt

Best of luck! I've always kind of wondered if seedlings would be tougher than rooted cuttings.
Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Post by Azuleja »

I'm trying and they're growing, but I don't know how it will work out. At first I was giving them too much sun. Although I hardly water them and thought I put them in a fast draining mix, I guess they were too moist as well. I'm hopeful we can work things out because if they get long enough to tumble over like snakes, I have a really cool Medusa head planter to put them in.
Attachments
Orbea variegata
Orbea variegata
2016-10-11 11.01.22.jpg (343.69 KiB) Viewed 4759 times
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

Thanks in no small part to Melt, I have put together a modest, but nice little collection together here. I now have:

Caralluma foetida
Huernia bayeri
Stapelia grandiflora
Stapelia leendertziae
Orbea baldratii
Orbea melanantha
Quaqua mammillaris

The S. leendertziae, just freshly rooted, is already producing a host of new buds.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"