Agaves for sale part 2

Use this forum to list your haves and wants. Commercial posts welcome. If you have some interesting offerings, we want to hear about it!

Moderator: Melt in the Sun

KLC
Ready to Bolt

Agaves for sale part 2

Post by KLC »

Hey guys (and gals) here is an updated FS post. I put my previous photo host to sleep so all of the pics I had have disappeared from my postings. I will now upload them directly to this site so they will always be here.

I have been really busy doing non-plant stuff, I have even allowed the garden and nursery to become a little neglected. Since the weather has been warm I have cleaned it all up and got it back into shape. I've got no mites or pest problems that I am aware of.

I'll try to keep this as simple as I can with species, size, price and a short description. The list will not be completed in one sitting so check back every few days.

Just send me a PM, I get the email notification fairly quick

vizcainoensis 4" $8 Baja native, sun/cold tolerance not tested in Phoenix
DSC_0706.JPG
DSC_0706.JPG (55.5 KiB) Viewed 5381 times
colorata 1g $12 awesome spinage, blue/grey, profuse offsetter, unaffected by cold in Phoenix, full sun a must
DSC_0707.JPG
DSC_0707.JPG (73.68 KiB) Viewed 5381 times
DSC_0726.JPG
DSC_0726.JPG (44.52 KiB) Viewed 5381 times
guadalajarana 1g $15 from seed, open rosette form, 2 specimens from this batch off seed doing well in partial shade in my garden
DSC_0709.JPG
DSC_0709.JPG (46.38 KiB) Viewed 5381 times
atrovirens 3g $60 2 available, from seed, possibly mirabilis, a few specimens from this seed batch are doing well with filtered shade in Phoenix, these were damaged at 28f in pots, grounded specimens will likely fare better, unsure of mature size, non surculose as Gentry described, id is at your discretion.
DSC_0710.JPG
DSC_0710.JPG (62.12 KiB) Viewed 5381 times
DSC_0723.JPG
DSC_0723.JPG (76.89 KiB) Viewed 5381 times
atrovirens 5g $60 2 available, from seed, a different form than mirabilis, similar to salmiana but will likely attain much bigger proportions, these did not sustain as much damage as mirabilis at 28f, Gentry described atrovirens as non surculose but these do have offsets now and then...id is at your discretion.
DSC_0711.JPG
DSC_0711.JPG (62.35 KiB) Viewed 5381 times
DSC_0724.JPG
DSC_0724.JPG (66.6 KiB) Viewed 5381 times
arizonica 4" $6 offsets from garden specimen, full sun a must, cold tolerance down to at least low 20's, profuse offsetter, small mature size
DSC_0712.JPG
DSC_0712.JPG (71.45 KiB) Viewed 5381 times
wocomahi 1g $15 from seed, filtered shade in Phoenix, may take more sun if acclimated, no specimens have had any cold damage in my garden/nursery
DSC_0713.JPG
DSC_0713.JPG (62.67 KiB) Viewed 5381 times
More to come...
Don't California my Arizona!
KLC
Ready to Bolt

Re: Agaves for sale part 2

Post by KLC »

marmorata 1g $10 largely untested in my garden, some plants took cold damage at 28f, fast recovery and growth
DSC_0715.JPG
DSC_0715.JPG (58.85 KiB) Viewed 5368 times
DSC_0725.JPG
DSC_0725.JPG (63.09 KiB) Viewed 5368 times
marmorata 4" $5 from seed, seems to be a different form than the 1g, will likely grow into something worthwhile
DSC_0719.JPG
DSC_0719.JPG (67.68 KiB) Viewed 5368 times
colorata 4" $5 from seed, needs full sun, cold tolerant
DSC_0716.JPG
DSC_0716.JPG (91.05 KiB) Viewed 5368 times
macroacantha 4" $7 from seed, fast grower, some narrow leaved, some much wider, will tolerate full sun in Phoenix, gets nice black spines in full sun, has shown to have good cold tolerance in Phoenix as well
DSC_0717.JPG
DSC_0717.JPG (62.47 KiB) Viewed 5368 times
macroacantha 1g $15
DSC_0721.JPG
DSC_0721.JPG (60.01 KiB) Viewed 5368 times
DSC_0732.JPG
DSC_0732.JPG (97.73 KiB) Viewed 5368 times
utahensis kaibabensis 4" $12 from seed, very slow grower, needs dry sandy soil, easily rotted from overwatering,
DSC_0718.JPG
DSC_0718.JPG (77.32 KiB) Viewed 5368 times
gheisbreghtei 1g $10 from seed, some flush red in the winter, greens up in warm weather, nasty marginal spines, filtered shade only, shipping difficult due to stiff leaves
DSC_0720.JPG
DSC_0720.JPG (70.84 KiB) Viewed 5368 times
KLC
Ready to Bolt

Post by KLC »

sobria 4" $10 from seed, sold as gigantensis but Greg Starr says likely sobria, will ultimately be very big, full sun, little water
DSC_0722.JPG
DSC_0722.JPG (69.83 KiB) Viewed 5368 times
sobria 1g $18 what doesn't sell this summer will be grown out to 5g
DSC_0727.JPG
DSC_0727.JPG (62.93 KiB) Viewed 5368 times
gentry 4" $8 from seed collected at the Ruth Bancroft Garden
DSC_0728.JPG
DSC_0728.JPG (77.51 KiB) Viewed 5368 times
salmiana 'Green Goblet' 1g $12 rooted offsets from plant originally cultivated by Yucca Do and sent to me by Sarah Platt of Texas, filtered shade in Phoenix, somewhat cold tolerant, apple green leaves
DSC_0731.JPG
DSC_0731.JPG (62.42 KiB) Viewed 5368 times
DSC_0736.JPG
DSC_0736.JPG (91.32 KiB) Viewed 5368 times
tecta 1g $50 rooted offsets from specimen at the Huntington, very short supply, filtered shade, largely untested in garden setting in Phoenix, massive wide leaves when mature
DSC_0730.JPG
DSC_0730.JPG (65.29 KiB) Viewed 5368 times
colorata colony in garden, had a stalk last year and another this year
DSC_0734.JPG
DSC_0734.JPG (107.26 KiB) Viewed 5368 times
'Emerald Envy' in garden, 7 years from 5g plant, massive, crossbanded, full sun, cold tolerant, seldom offsets now that it is bigger, I expect a stalk soon, likely a cross between weberi and murphyi, I have "a few" for sale
DSC_0733.JPG
DSC_0733.JPG (110.83 KiB) Viewed 5368 times
avellanidens 4" and 1g NFS at the moment, gets BIG, largely untested in Phoenix, does well in ASDM in full sun
DSC_0729.JPG
DSC_0729.JPG (59.81 KiB) Viewed 5368 times
KLC
Ready to Bolt

Post by KLC »

I have a lot more species than those listed, many will be grown out to 5g for the nurseries that have asked for bigger plants. I am beginning to focus my efforts on those agaves which will grow in full sun here in Phoenix. The stock of "shadehouse queens" is slowly being sold off as I have no time to babysit tender plants. I have some really nice forms of scabra that I am trying to get going. One of the best scabra forms I have came form a mature plant growing at a nearby sporting arena, I was fortunate enough to get some offsets before the parent was lost to weevils last summer.

There are some subsimplex, stricta, deserti simplex, shrevei magna, nickelsai, ovatifolia and a few others that I can't recall in the nursery too. I'll get some pics of those up when I get the time.

When the plants I have listed are gone, I probably won't propagate any more for the foreseeable future, it just takes too long to make a 4" agave.
mcvansoest
Location: Tempe, Arizona, USA ie. Low Desert & Urban Heat Island
USDA Zone: 9a/b

Post by mcvansoest »

Keith, great to have you back contributing to the different threads!
I can comment a little bit on how your A. marmoratas do in the Phoenix full sun.
I have two of your plants, from the same batch as the first two marmorata pictures you posted, I would guess. One I planted in front of my backyard's west facing wall of death, and it was getting noon-sunset full sun. Based on an outside thermometer I have on that wall it gets about 20-25F hotter on average during the summer in front of that wall than listed day time high temperatures for my area. The experiment lasted 2 full summers - much longer than some plants manage there and while the plant did not die, it never managed to establish itself very well and started looking sadder and sadder - this last Fall I took it out of the ground and it is now recovering in a pot in my shaded plant staging area (and recovering well with new growth) - given how plant no.2 is doing I am looking for spot for it in my front yard.
The other I got about a year later and I put that in the ground in my front yard in the spring of last year. It gets about 10AM - 5 PM full sun in the summer and after some initial yellowing which made me cover it with some shade cloth for a few weeks in June of last year (it got really hot really quickly in my neck of the woods going from mid 90s to mid 110s in the span of 3 days) it was fine when we hit July and got through the summer splendidly. So I think that they will do just fine in most full sun garden scenarios here in the VotS.
It is what it is!
KLC
Ready to Bolt

Post by KLC »

Hey Thijs, thanks for the report. I have a few dozen of them if you want a few more to test out, for gratis (you have been over enough that is the least I can do). You can also try a few of the 4" ones, they are from a later seed batch and are definitely different. They are very scabrous and do not turn red as marmorata typically does when small. The overall form seems right though. I have one in my front yard that is in filtered shade, probably a 3g size by now, and it has not decided if it is going to grow well or not. It is beginning to grow it's rosette to the side, Kelly Griifin has said in the past that is something marmorata does in situ possibly to drain off water.

I do have some seeds I have not germinated yet that are described as A. marmorata FO-075, I am curious what they are.
Melt in the Sun
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by Melt in the Sun »

If you'll pull that offset from the pictured in-ground A. macroacantha (DSC_0732.JPG), I'd be interested....
mcvansoest
Location: Tempe, Arizona, USA ie. Low Desert & Urban Heat Island
USDA Zone: 9a/b

Post by mcvansoest »

HI Keith,

That is an offer that is tough to pass up! Do you by any chance have any of your McKelveyana plants left? I fear that the prolonged wet period with cold added er had this winter did a number on the plant I got from you a while back it is hanging on but I am a little pessimistic. I fear I waited to long to pot it up, so it did not take the wetness very well. That plant which took 'wet' damage and 3 A. sisalanas in 3 gallon pots and a pot with 3 small A. titanotas which all took some frost damage are really the only victims of another pretty mild winter. The titanotas will be fine, the sisalanas are going to be really ugly for a couple of years (which will make it harder to give them away as that is what I was hoping to do with them). Mom is in the ground and took no damage, but it is a significantly larger plant.

I have another bigger (5 gal.) A. marmorata that I picked up at HD (it was in with a batch of gypsophyllas, but the only plant labeled as A. species) that is doing the same thing - leaning in one direction, it will be the ultimate full sun test as it is in the most exposed part of the front yard, getting 9AM - Sunset sun in the summer. It will probably need some shade this summer. I also put my A. emerald envy there, it was doing fine in front of my wall of death, but was getting too big so I moved it.

The A. durangensis I got from you is doing really well also in 10AM - 5PM full sun. It was 'static' for a while but has started putting on some new growth and is starting to look like A. durangensis some... The salmiana I got from you is also doing well also getting a lot of sun, but it took last summer like a champ and I will even get a pup from it that I will harvest this spring. The other plants I got from you are doing great, but are all still in the waiting area for me a) get my act together and finally build a raised plant bed in the backyard and b) for the event described below and my one other behemoth weberi to flower (looks like next year), so I can replace them with plants that will not quite get in the 6.5-8 ft tall and 10-12 ft diameter size range with giant pup colonies expanding the area they occupy even more.

I think this year the only big weberi that is in a good amount of shade in my front yard and which has expanded into a colony of 1 behemoth plus 4 giant pups (already bigger than most Agaves - well on their way to behemoth status themselves) might flower - no asparagus yet, but most certainly showing the characteristic shortening and thinning on the new leaves - which means that I will finally have some good planting space for the bigger plants that want some shade in the summer.

In the mean time my plant staging area/potting bench is getting pretty crowded:
IMG_1316.jpg
IMG_1316.jpg (121.44 KiB) Viewed 5308 times
And those are by no means all of the plants I have... but since last September we have a new member of the family (see below) and that is definitely been cutting into my messing with plants and the yard time
IMG_1228.jpg
IMG_1228.jpg (124 KiB) Viewed 5308 times
The gravel area in the upper right of the picture is supposed to make place for my raised Agave and Cactus bed...
It is what it is!
KLC
Ready to Bolt

Post by KLC »

Melt in the Sun wrote:If you'll pull that offset from the pictured in-ground A. macroacantha (DSC_0732.JPG), I'd be interested....
Any reason you want that one in particular? I've got some nice 1g in the nursery that look just like it. I'll post some pics of individual plants when I get the chance.
DesertDweller
Ready to Bolt

Post by DesertDweller »

Keith,

All the plants I picked up from you before are doing well. :U

I probably don't have the room, but will make it work somehow: interested in one of the suckering A. atrovirens, preferably the one in the second photo (DSC_0724).

What are the size on the Emerald Envy offsets you have?
Melt in the Sun
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by Melt in the Sun »

KLC wrote:Any reason you want that one in particular? I've got some nice 1g in the nursery that look just like it. I'll post some pics of individual plants when I get the chance.
Just because I already know it will look great when it gets larger. It's impossible to tell for sure with seedlings, even though they may look great as juveniles.
KLC
Ready to Bolt

Post by KLC »

I am in the process of eliminating 50 to 75% of what's in my nursery, I just don't have the time to take care of the plants anymore. See anything you like? Let me know, I will sell at a super reasonable price, and ship at cost.
Viegener
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10b

Post by Viegener »

Do you have a list of species?

I should tell you that the marmorata I got from you last year is one of my most beautiful (&fastest) agaves. Can't remember if it was the gallon or 4"; judging by the speed it must have been the gallon one...
KLC
Ready to Bolt

Post by KLC »

I have sobria, avellanidens, macroacantha, tecta, parryi, parryi 'Chihuahua', marmorata, gentryi, 'Green Goblet', silver asperrima, green asperrima, asperrima zarcensis, ovatifolia, wocomahi, guadalajarana, xylonacantha, havardiana, cerulata, vizcainoensis, shrevei magna, triangularis, salmiana, palmeri, sebastiana, deserti simplex, marginless sharkskin, green titanota, green titanota FO-076, DBG unknown (resembles colorata) and maybe a few others. All are in 1g pots some are overgrown in 1g pots

I am 100% bug free, I've shipped maybe a thousand agaves in the last 5 years and never had to replace anything or give money back.

Send me a text I can send pics 951-five two two -four eight zero seven
Viegener
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10b

Post by Viegener »

It's remarkable to me that I have all of these species now, so nothing for me. But I do want to say that the plants you sent were good sized, well-priced and have grown like gangbusters.
Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Post by Azuleja »

I'll text you and get a couple more of my favorites.
Steph115
Ready to Bolt

Post by Steph115 »

Ohhh that guadalajarana... I'm drooling. Messaging you!
KLC
Ready to Bolt

Post by KLC »

I'm glad everyone who has purchased plants from me has been pleased with what I sent them. I get the most satisfaction when I hear about someone's awesome plant that they got from me, even more so if it was one I grew from seed.
Neli
Offset

Post by Neli »

What smallish (less than 40cm) agaves but pretty ones do you have for sale? Interested also in dwarf variegated agaves.
KLC
Ready to Bolt

Post by KLC »

Neli wrote:What smallish (less than 40cm) agaves but pretty ones do you have for sale? Interested also in dwarf variegated agaves.
No variegates, sorry Neli.
KLC
Ready to Bolt

Post by KLC »

Thank you all who have recently took possession of some of my agaves. Every time some more of them go out, it frees up more time for me to take care of the garden which has seen better days.
KLC
Ready to Bolt

Post by KLC »

I forgot about A. nickelsiae, got a few of 'em. And a single offset of A. mapisaga v Lisa rooted and raring to go into the ground somewhere. It's probably a 3g size If I had to guess, the leaves are about a foot long. I've got one in the ground and in a sunny spot and it is doing well in the Phoenix climate.
Neli
Offset

Post by Neli »

KLC wrote:
Neli wrote:What smallish (less than 40cm) agaves but pretty ones do you have for sale? Interested also in dwarf variegated agaves.
No variegates, sorry Neli.
Which ones are blue and pretty and not big>run out of space he he he! I have parryii
Neli
Offset

Post by Neli »

I think colorata is snot so big. Am I correct? How big does it grow. It looks cute.
Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Post by Azuleja »

KLC wrote:Thank you all who have recently took possession of some of my agaves. Every time some more of them go out, it frees up more time for me to take care of the garden which has seen better days.
I enjoy long distance shopping with you and particularly like being able to pick my own plants. The A. ovatifolia and A. sobria are spares to go with others I got from you previously. I'm not sure what to make of the DBG unknown, but mysteries are fun.
Attachments
A. ovatifolia
A. ovatifolia
20170724_191203-1.jpg (86 KiB) Viewed 4420 times
A. sobria
A. sobria
20170724_191416-1.jpg (127.03 KiB) Viewed 4420 times
DBG unknown
DBG unknown
20170724_191537-1.jpg (114 KiB) Viewed 4420 times