Wanted: Agave Seed from AZ species

Use this forum to list your haves and wants. Commercial posts welcome. If you have some interesting offerings, we want to hear about it!

Moderator: Melt in the Sun

Arizona Girl
Seedling

Wanted: Agave Seed from AZ species

Post by Arizona Girl »

Hi forum members,

I would be interested in purchasing seeds for agave species which are native to AZ. The only one I don't really need is Agave palmeri. I have a nice group of them growing at the nursery I work at (Desert Survivors in case you are wondering)

We had widespread mite infestation so lost nearly all agave stock. We cleaned house and want to start fresh. So far I don't see any sign of anything on the palmers so it may be time to bring on the diversity.

It is highly desirable to note the collection site for the seeds. Legally collected is important (i.e. not on National Parks). We are quite interested in knowing where our plants originate from. That is typically why we don't take in donation of offsets.

Thank you.
Janine
Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Re: Wanted: Agave Seed from AZ species

Post by Gee.S »

Currently available:

A. chrysantha (Dugas Rd.)
A. deserti v. simplex (Harcuvar)
A. mckelveyana (Bagdad)
A. murpheyi (Sierra Ancha)
A. parviflora (Ruby Rd.)
A. toumeyana (Mazatzals)
A. toumeyana v. bella (Sierra Ancha)
A. utahensis (Aquarius Mountains)
A. verdensis (Verde Valley)
A. yavapaiensis (Verde Valley)

We also have in situ A. chrysantha × A. murpheyi seed -- very rare
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
Arizona Girl
Seedling

Post by Arizona Girl »

Very impressive! I will PM you to talk shipping and what not.
Agavemonger
Ready to Bolt

Post by Agavemonger »

Hey, Janine--- I have a few more from Arizona that Gees currently doesn't have, plus most of the species from the deserts and mountains of California, Nevada, Utah, New Mexico, and Texas if you are interested....Most from "within 500 miles" of good 'ole Tucson. :8:

All are from my own locality collections. Also, quite a few Yucca and Nolina to boot. After you get Gees seed, I can make up the difference with some packets for you.

Post Paid and No Charge if all are sold through Desert Survivors Nursery. ::wink::

The Monger
Arizona Girl
Seedling

Post by Arizona Girl »

Monger,

I appreciate your offer of different species. I am definitely interested in species from Arizona first and foremost. I do love the agaves from different regions of the southwest. One in particular I saw in New Mexico at City of Rocks State Park. Check this area out some day. The herping is really good there too. But I saw these big gals and wasn't sure what they were.

I think I will have a pretty good amount of seed from Gees to start with; however, if you want to tempt me with certain unique Agaves that might be ok too. Yes, I only intend to raise them to be sold through the nursery. We have a great group of folks that work there and is a good nursery to support. I hope we can get the upper hand on the pests. Maybe we will learn that there are just certain species more susceptible to having pest problems than others.

Thanks so much both of you for the quick response.
Janine
Attachments
P1070557.jpg
P1070557.jpg (211.97 KiB) Viewed 1733 times
Arizona Girl
Seedling

Post by Arizona Girl »

Thank you Ron,

Just got the seeds today. I love how you packaged the individual species. Thanks. I will let you know my results later in the year.

Janine
Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by Gee.S »

You still have one notable missing, which you can collect yourself without too much trouble. There are some really nice A. parryi growing on Mt. Lemmon, and some growing in the Sierritas. You'll also find A. schottii at Sierrita. PM me for GPS coordinates if you would like to pursue.

BTW, your photo above is of A. parryi.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"