Aloe (Aloidendron) eminens wanted

Use this forum to list your haves and wants. Commercial posts welcome. If you have some interesting offerings, we want to hear about it!

Moderator: Melt in the Sun

Spination
Ready to Bolt

Aloe (Aloidendron) eminens wanted

Post by Spination »

I realize this is something not far off from a pipe dream, a long-long shot, some serious wishful thinking... but... nothing ventured, nothing gained - right?

I have all the other tree aloes - the eastern: barberae, tongaensis. The western: pilansii, dichotoma, ramosissima. And, the southern Kumara plicatilis.

I would really like to get my hands on Aloidendron eminems.... :))
Geoff

Re: Aloe (Aloidendron) eminens wanted

Post by Geoff »

What about excelsa, mawii, munchii, vaombe, volkensii (tallest of them all), rupestrus, elata (another super rarity), ballyi (a toxic species!), pluridens, exima (nice exotic look), marlothii and ferox, speciosa, suzannae, castanea, litoralis, angelica (another somewhat rare plant), alooides, africana, peyrierasii (another super rare species, if you want to seek rare plants), gracicaulis (ditto on the rare part), helenae (one of my favorites), vaotsanda (not so rare anymore, but really cool flowers), alexandrae (I had this once and sadly let it slip through my fingers), sabaea (one of the weirdest looking tree aloes, but worth growing for sure), khamiesensis, purpurea (another hard to find one), thraskii, spicata, medishiana (not rare, but you're gonna have to live a long time to see it become a tree aloe), miskatana (rare rare rare), lineata (sort of pushing the 'tree aloe description I realize), retrospiciens (another super rare one), argyrostachys (super cool distichous species... not super rare, but rare and $$$)... not to mention all the cool hybrid 'species' like Hercules, Goliath, Principes etc.... so you have a LOT of work ahead of you. Aloe eminens is not anywhere as rare as many of these other tree aloes (even I have one of these) but still a good one to shoot for.
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

:)) I do have a few of those: vaombe, rupestris, pluridens. marlothii, ferox (and white flowering seedlings - some 50 still growing), speciosa, suzannae, castanea, alooides, africana, sabaea, khamiesensis, thraskii, spicata, lineata. Some are small yet, but all are growing. I copied your full list as something to study up on and see which of those I don't have but that I find very appealing. Of actual Aloidendron, eminens is the only one missing.

As always, I am appreciative of the information. :U
mickthecactus

Post by mickthecactus »

If only I had the space for these (although I do have eminent) but I go for miniatures now.
I have just bought seeds of chortolirioides and craibii.
Stan
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10a

Post by Stan »

Nothing on google with that name. But Eminen the rapper...
Hayward Ca. 75-80f summers,60f winters.
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Initially, I couldn't find it on google. But, that's because I misspelled it "eminem". I did not mean to give it a bad rap like that. ::wink:: After I corrected my error, it does show up "Aloe eminens"... but nothing for sale either by way of plant or seed.
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

San Marcos growers has a write up. Maybe email them,or be on a list?
mickthecactus

Post by mickthecactus »

And I said eminent. My excuse is that I'm typing from my phone...
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Well, not wrong really. The derivation of the name is that it is the "eminent" aloe from northeastern Africa.
Viegener
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10b

Post by Viegener »

I got A. eminens (aka A. eminens 'Koko Crater') on eBay once, from a pretty solid source. Mine is now about 2' tall and I'm hoping it'll flower soon. I can't understand why someone doesn't put this into tissue culture. It's no harder to grow than tongaensis, for example.

My other branching tree aloes are ‘Hercules’, 'Goliath', barberae, dichotoma, helenae, mawii, ribauensis, pillansii, and tongaensis (one of best). Of the unbranching tree aloes I have africana (reblooms), alexandrei, angelica, ballyii, comosa, excelsa, ferox & ferox candelabrum (still looking for the white ferox), Aloe kahmiensis, lineata, littoralis, marlothii, munchii (some branching, not strong trunk), pluridens (suckers), pretoriensis, rupestris (mine suckers, would like one that doesn't), speciosa, spectabilis, and thraskii.

What I'm still looking for are capitata var cipolinicola, deinacantha, elata, eximia, ferox (white), rupicola & volkensii. Of hybrids I still want 'Samson'. Peyrierasii is supposed to be coming from the ISI, and I'm planning on starting seeds to get some non-suckering rupestris & pluridens. Rupicola sounds pretty great, and I just added argyrostachys, gracicaulis, medishiana, miskatana, purpurea, & retrospiciens from Geoff's list.
Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Post by Azuleja »

All these tree aloe lists are the stuff of dreams. Nicely done.
mickthecactus

Post by mickthecactus »

Will they flower at 2'?
Viegener
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10b

Post by Viegener »

For me the tree aloes are the most irresistible of the family (especially the branched ones). They provide a silhouette in the landscape that's not like anything else...
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

I found an old picture of my Medusa in flower. About 4'? 5'? something like that.
Attachments
I think,2007.
I think,2007.
Picture289.jpg (138.62 KiB) Viewed 3488 times
Picture1259.jpg
Picture1259.jpg (218.28 KiB) Viewed 3488 times
circadian rhythm
Rhizome

Post by circadian rhythm »

San Marcos growers has them last time i check their availability list.That was a couple months ago at least though
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

No longer on my wish list, as a cutting was gifted to me - most unexpectedly. D))