ID Please

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to succulent Euphorbiaceae genera far too plentiful to enumerate. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.
Jkwinston
Ready to Bolt

ID Please

Post by Jkwinston »

I have just bought a few of these. Are they related to medusa head? What are they? Jkw
IMG_8301v.jpg
IMG_8301v.jpg (68.43 KiB) Viewed 1290 times
IMG_8304x.jpg
IMG_8304x.jpg (87.06 KiB) Viewed 1290 times
Otter
Bulbil

Re: ID Please

Post by Otter »

My first instinct is to say it is not one of the medusoids as i cant recall any in that group growing so upright, or branching midway along the stem. That said, these could be branch CUTTINGS of caput-medusae, as plants propagated that way do not produce a caudex to give it that symmetrical look. Still, the secondary branching is throwing me off. Other names like filiflora, loricata, and monteiroi come to mind, but for one reason or another don't feel right. Two things that would help id these are the width of the stems and 'flower' color.
Jkwinston
Ready to Bolt

Post by Jkwinston »

Thanks for your response. I do believe the upright growth has to do with the fact they are cuttings. I have also heard that these medusa head euphorbias never form a natural caudex from cuttings, unless you try and invent it. I will try and use the formula from this video below to experiment. Have look at this video. But I must state I have a lot of doubts about the plant, and I have not had any other ID which seemed believable. Jkw

"
Otter
Bulbil

Post by Otter »

Never saw that video before but yes, that's a good demonstration of the 2 stage process you have to use to form 'heads'...basically cut, root, cut off tips, wait for new growth with heads formed,then cut those off and root them. Bonsai people love all the action! :-)
One thing though, the guy in the video should be wearing gloves. the milky sap is caustic and some sp like E.ferox for example will blister the skin so be careful when you're cutting!