Zone 9a Euphorbia?

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to succulent Euphorbiaceae genera far too plentiful to enumerate. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.
necturus
Rhizome

Zone 9a Euphorbia?

Post by necturus »

Anyone growing Euphorbia in zone 9a? Let's say for sake of discussion this is a warm 9a that only hit low 9a temps every 5 years or so, and high 8b once every 10-20 years. I have read about some that seem promising, like E. royleana, resinifera (sp?) but not too many others.

Also, how feasible do you think it would be to grow some of the larger columnar species outside in this conditions with modest protection, e.g. Frost clothes or plastic?
mcvansoest
Location: Tempe, Arizona, USA ie. Low Desert & Urban Heat Island
USDA Zone: 9a/b

Re: Zone 9a Euphorbia?

Post by mcvansoest »

I am zone 9b/10a, so a direct comparison is not possible.

I do not grow many euphorbias I have resinifera in the ground, tirucalli (both the regular version and fire sticks) and a non succulent one: E. xanti. The fire sticks gets some frost damage if left uncovered when it goes below freezing, but the regular version and resinifera have been fine as has the xanti. I have a few more in pots that are protected from getting really cold by being close to the house.

As to columnar cati. I think there are definitely possibilities for you. Saguaros should take 9a, Pachycereus pringlei (Cardon) will definitely take damage, especially when young. There are a bunch of South American columnars that should do well too. Plenty of options there.
It is what it is!
Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Post by Azuleja »

My 9a sounds similar to yours. While wandering dirt roads one day this summer, look what I found much to my delight and surprise. Saguaro?
Attachments
20170628_105942-2.jpg
20170628_105942-2.jpg (145.88 KiB) Viewed 4691 times
mcvansoest
Location: Tempe, Arizona, USA ie. Low Desert & Urban Heat Island
USDA Zone: 9a/b

Post by mcvansoest »

I am pretty sure those are not Saguaro. Saguaros only produce blooms at the stem/branch tips and I think I can see some flower? remnants/buds further down the stem of the one on the left.
That would make it either Cardons or Echinopsis terscheckii, my bet is on the latter, given that Cardons would really not like a lot of below freezing nights...
It is what it is!
Stan
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10a

Post by Stan »

Euphorbia coerulescens is said to be hardy to zone 9a. Euphorbia canariensis also. Euphorbia cooperi is one of the choicest tree Euphorbia of them all..and most cold tolerant. There are others I'm sure.
Hayward Ca. 75-80f summers,60f winters.
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

Azuleja wrote:My 9a sounds similar to yours. While wandering dirt roads one day this summer, look what I found much to my delight and surprise. Saguaro?
Good old E.tersheckii enjoying 90-120F summer days and drier winters. It even laughs at valley tule fog.
Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Post by Azuleja »

Awesome, thanks for the ID on those! It was a mighty wet winter and my eyes about popped out of my head when I saw them here. Aside from a runaway Opuntia or two cactus generally aren't seen up here.
Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by Gee.S »

Great topic! I think E. royleana in and of itself, may go some distance toward sating your Euphorbia lust. Branching, fast growing, gorgeous!
Euphorbia royleana / 24" pot
Euphorbia royleana / 24" pot
E_Roy 003.JPG (140.25 KiB) Viewed 4678 times
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

some more that I am growing outdoors in Acton (zone 8b/9a) are Euphorbias anoplia, antisyphylitica, coerulescens, echinus, enopla, ferox, flanaganii (and a variety of hybrid medusoid plants), horrida (many varieties), inconstantina, lambii (under a palm so some protection), mammillaris, polygona (many varieties), rigida, submammillaris, tubiglans, jansvellensis and virosa.
Paul S
Ready to Bolt

Post by Paul S »

Here in England the hardiest succulent Euphorbia by a country mile is E. clavaroides var truncata. It will withstand -15C in the open garden. it is also probably the least impressive - until it starts to form a creeping mat, molding itself to its surroundings.
euphorbiact.jpg
euphorbiact.jpg (199.02 KiB) Viewed 4656 times
Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by Gee.S »

I like it! That's a great ground cover.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
necturus
Rhizome

Post by necturus »

Great ideas, guys! Keep 'em coming. No wonder E. clavaroides var truncata is so hardy, it hails from Lesotho! I'm always keen to learn about interesting plants from there, they are bound to be pretty tough.

How cold hardy is E. cooperi? I see it listed as 24-25 degrees on here. That would make it a maybe with protection here. It's a nice looking tree-type.
Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Post by Azuleja »

From what I read, Euphorbia pseudocactus (zig zag) is hardy to 10F. I didn't realize this today when I saw a giant one in a split open pot in the clearance section of OSH. The price wasn't marked and no one was outside so I left, but I'm going to see if it's still there tomorrow.
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

Azuleja wrote:From what I read, Euphorbia pseudocactus (zig zag) is hardy to 10F. I didn realize this today when I saw a giant one in a split open pot in the clearance section of OSH. The price wasn't marked and no one was outside so I left, but I'm going to see if it's still there tomorrow.
They are hardy..but Zig Zag, like the coearulescens are VERY prone to rot. Plant them high and you should have no problems. Worked for me after the first one died in a early 2000's wet winter.
necturus
Rhizome

Post by necturus »

Small update - a E. royleana in the ground got nuked by our freeze. It had previously taken high twenties with snow without blemish. The freeze in question hit around 20 degrees and was associated with freezing rain. The high that day was around 37 degrees.

Taken together with Geoff's post in the gallery, my conclusion is that these may be hardy in dry winter conditions, but with any significant rainfall they are pretty puny. Going forward these guys will either stay in a pot or get an umbrella for the winter.
Meangreen94z
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 8B

Post by Meangreen94z »

My 4 foot saguaro took no damage in a wet, icy 18*F with just a foam sheet on its head covered by a blanket (planket brand) down its trunk. I used a large plastic planter as a cover and wrapped my small Cardon in foam sheets underneath( bought off amazon in a roll), it amazingly took no damage either.
Austin, Texas