grandicornis/grandialata/pseudocactus zig-zag

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to succulent Euphorbiaceae genera far too plentiful to enumerate. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.
Agave_fan
Ready to Bolt

grandicornis/grandialata/pseudocactus zig-zag

Post by Agave_fan »

I removed some plants from a large planter and wanted to add a little color to this section of the garden and saw this (no ID of course) and a huge aloe T-Rex with some nice color at Lowes so I purchased them both.

I have always admired the unusual look of grandicornis with the flat sides and awesome spines and this one had size and some interesting color so I purchased it. I began to wonder if the streaky look of this plant might actually be a variegated form so I looked up variegated grandicornis and ran across several plant names.

I would like to add an id tag to this plant. I think it is a Euphorbia pseudocactus cv zig-zag which is a cross of E. pseudocactus and E. grandicornis - is this correct?
possible E pseudocactus zig-zag.jpg
possible E pseudocactus zig-zag.jpg (123.88 KiB) Viewed 2333 times
possible E pseudocactus zig-zag 2.jpg
possible E pseudocactus zig-zag 2.jpg (53.28 KiB) Viewed 2333 times
Stan
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10a

Re: grandicornis/grandialata/pseudocactus zig-zag

Post by Stan »

You are right..the hybrids are near impossible to tell from the species. Plus,I can relate that culture can affect them I believe. I have some from Ruth Bancroft that can grow large branches and big stems up to 6' or more tall. Yet,my potted plant looks the same as the plain jane I planted in my front yard 20 years ago or so. Can't tell them apart. The potted lost the bigger diameter growth and its never come back.
Plus,I have no room now to have a 6' zig zag. But,it lives in a 5 gallon year after year.
Hayward Ca. 75-80f summers,60f winters.