Euphorbia abyssinica

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to succulent Euphorbiaceae genera far too plentiful to enumerate. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.
Geoff

Euphorbia abyssinica

Post by Geoff »

Plant often confused with Euphorbia ammak, who's green form does look a LOT like this. Some debate if not the same thing. This plant usually told apart by being MORE than 4 sided (with age)... 6-8 sides more normal. Large, thick, dull spines very similar to E ammak. Only comes in pure green, though, as far as I know. From Ethiopia. Cold hardiness down to about 25F or a bit less (more cold hardy than E ammak).

Euphorbia abysinnica neighborhood 2.JPG
Euphorbia abysinnica neighborhood 2.JPG (174.73 KiB) Viewed 4354 times
Euphorbia abyssinica closer 3.JPG
Euphorbia abyssinica closer 3.JPG (89.96 KiB) Viewed 4354 times
Euphorbia abyssinica closer.JPG
Euphorbia abyssinica closer.JPG (111.18 KiB) Viewed 4354 times
Euphorbia abyssinica neighborhood 1.JPG
Euphorbia abyssinica neighborhood 1.JPG (149.54 KiB) Viewed 4354 times
Stan
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10a

Re: Euphorbia abyssinica

Post by Stan »

Andy (Delonix) in San Diego posted a photo of one on "grows on you" plant board. It was humungous . Planted to the right pillar of an old California bungalow it towered over the little house with a very open and very wide growth.
I also have one..planted near the right pillar of my bunglalow. I'm thinking of stumping it. Its sort of winding its way to tallness with a slight lean.
Hayward Ca. 75-80f summers,60f winters.
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

Mine-requiring-major pruning of the Magnolia to keep the peace. About 10-12 years old. Part shade.
Attachments
IMG_6954.JPG
IMG_6954.JPG (140.49 KiB) Viewed 4050 times
The venation and translucent like green skin to it, is one property of the plant. A very open structure is the other.
The venation and translucent like green skin to it, is one property of the plant. A very open structure is the other.
IMG_6955.JPG (56.97 KiB) Viewed 4050 times
Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Post by Azuleja »

I never noticed the vein texture up close before. These plants are like alien life forms.
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

lol,yeah they are like Aliens who never saw the real thing trying to imitate a Saguaro on description alone!
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

those last two photos are of Euphorbia ammak, not abyssinica. The latter has more than 4 sides (up to 8 sided), which is actually one of the ways one can distinguish it from ammak.
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

Hmm. The trunk on this plant has 6 sides,the branches four. But,my variegated E.ammak trunk also has 6 sides- but not as girthy as this plant. This green tree Euphorb was labeled E.abysinnca when I bought it. I have had people even insist its E. ingens...but the whole open look is nothing like E.ingens,and I've seen those growing large in town- much more branched then what I think is E.abysinnica. Hybrid?
Viegener
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10b

Post by Viegener »

I've read that the variegated ammak is actually Euphorbia erythraea forma variegata, NE African plant like abyssinica. Ammak is from Saudi Arabia & Yemen. It would be nice to get the right species name on these spectacular plants.
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

That sounds likely. I wonder of their is even a "true" E.abysinnica? Here's a today pic of the two..just too different in looks(besides just color) and growth pattern. I wonder of the green one is going to become a weeper as time goes by? Some of those branches have a twist. Has a tree like base.
Attachments
IMG_6964.JPG
IMG_6964.JPG (168.64 KiB) Viewed 4019 times
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

true Euphorbia abyssinicas are pretty rare in cultivation... actually never seen one offered. Most plants similar are varieties (variegated or not) of ammak. Plants are spined differently, too (abysinnica has much more lethal and more closely spaced spines, though young ammaks can look like that, too). At least that is according to what 'euphorbia experts ' have been teaching me. So far it matches most botanical specimens (not yet seen an abyssinica in a botanical garden, though did see a hybrid once). Though too far away to say for sure, but large Euphorbias in above photos appear to be ammak, and if they are the same plant in the close ups above, ammak for sure. 4 sided, too.
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

according the Kew's 'plantlist.org', Euphorbia erythreae is a synonym of Euphorbia sieboldiana, which looks nothing like these plants. I did find a web site that did list this the form of Euphorbia eyrthraea you mentioned above, but could only find a few sources that followed that line. There are dozens, however, that consider the variegated form of Euphorbia ammak to be just that. However, the exact placement of Euphorbia abyissinica in all this is still unclear.
Agavemonger
Ready to Bolt

Post by Agavemonger »

I agree with Geoff. Stan's plant is Euphorbia ammak. Geoff's photos above are of the immature form of Euphorbia abyssinica.

Euphorbia abyssinica has a noticeably unique look to it. Generally, it is a far more robust, larger, and more formally vertical plant then Euphorbia ammak. Euphorbia abyssinica also has a mature growth form which it morphs into once it gets very large and much more mature than the plant in Geoff's photos above. This "mature form" looks quite different than the juvenile form, almost like a monstrose or "melting" version, with very compact, thick growth and many ribs (sometimes more than 7 ribs). Cuttings taken from this "mature form" look like a different species altogether, which contributes a lot to the misidentification issues with this species. Also, the color of Euphorbia abyssinica is a much darker olive green than Euphorbia ammak.

We practically went to war over a few of these Euphorbia species back in the Xericworld days, when a misunderstanding excentuated by a major English botanist's comments relating to a Euphorbia Journal photo caused some quite caustic commentary.

It is hard to easily explain the differences between the "immature" form of Euphorbia abyssinica and Euphorbia ammak. I only know that once you've seen the real thing (and grown the real thing) the differences are more easily noted. If you google the two species, you can see the obvious differences. Under Euphorbia abyssinica there are photos of small rooted cuttings of both the immature and mature forms. Also, under Euphorbia ammak there are photos of rooted cuttings of both immature and mature forms of that species. Beware, though; these photos are intermixed among misidentified plants throughout.

The Monger
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

I have grown..At least what is billed as E.ammak. Its not just the cream color that seems different from what I bought labeled as E. abyssinica. The last is not simply a green version of the common variegated. So,I can't agree with if you've grown both- they are the same. BUT!..E.ammak by some experts isn't even E.ammak some say. If ITS not E.ammak then the green form isnt either. I think they say its really E.candlellabra. Can't verify.
I haven't been pointed to a plant that is "A true E.abyssinica" and seen a difference. I know though its been written that E. abyssinica is "much thinner walled" then the other tree Euphorbs. Sure enough,mine is just like that. Almost translucent in the right light.
I've seen E.ingens...and that is a much more massive plant even in the bay area as its full of branches and in a hemisphere shape when large. E.ammak does not have that shape. I can also open another can of worms with - the few E.ammak I have seen that have heavy branching? Might be variegated E.ingens.
Clear as mud.
All I can do is say -It was bought with that label.
Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by Gee.S »

Wait, Euphorbia abyssinica is hardy to 25°F? Serious? Anyone have an arm to trade for an E. royleanna arm?

E. ammak melts at 32°F on the button. As does E. ingens. It is not a pretty sight.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Here in California both Euphorbia ammak and ingens survive temps down to 25F with damage, but not fatally (young plants of the former do get pretty badly damaged, I have to admit. I had many species of Euphorbia in my garden when we got the killer freeze down to 24F that lasted over 7 hours and it was indeed a killer... but did not lose my ingens or ammaks (though did get some badly injured ammaks were young. Did lose a lot of other Euphorbias, but others were completely untouched. I would put these two big plant's limits at 25F, at least for extended exposure. Temps down to 22F briefly have badly damaged ingens but it did not die at my new property... but 18 sure killed it good and dead. Not sure how to explain why these plants do worse in Arizona than here. In Tarzana temps got down to 28F every single year and not once did I see even a hint of burn on any of my E ammaks or ingens though all were very exposed (no overhead canopy as more of mine WERE the canopy). The 28F was a frost event and the actual time it was 28F may have only been a half hour. Still lost a lot of Euphorbias I had ordered even at that temp, but all very small plants or cuttings.
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

Any temp that inflicts damage, can also kill. It's just a matter of duration. Guess I'll stick to E. royleanna.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

Mine all went through 2007 big cold with some damage. In 2013's near big cold,the variegated plant was singed a bit on the ribs,while the all green abyssinica that time had no damage at all. 2007 it went down to 28f and in 2013 I think we hit 30f for a shorter duration. At low temps for tropicals all I have learned says the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle kicks in!
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

From what I've seen Stan, your garden is all nicely bunched together and compact -- and that can go a long way toward heat retention.
Agave