Euphorbia desmondii

Use this forum to help with identification issues and to show off your beautiful plants, one species, subspecies, and cultivar at a time.
Forum rules
This section is dedicated toward maintaining one active thread for each succulent Euphorbiaceae species/subspecies/variety/cultivar. Please feel free to add information and/or photos to existing threads or start your own by adding Genus/species as the thread subject. Note that listings are displayed alphabetically. Enjoy!
Jkwinston
Ready to Bolt

Euphorbia desmondii

Post by Jkwinston »

Pallanca Gardens
Pallanca Gardens
IMG_2629x.jpg (151.42 KiB) Viewed 2148 times
Pallanca Gardens
Pallanca Gardens
IMG_2630x.jpg (142.33 KiB) Viewed 2148 times
Pallanca Gardens
Pallanca Gardens
IMG_2631x.jpg (166.94 KiB) Viewed 2148 times
Pallanca Gardens, Bordighera, Italy
Pallanca Gardens, Bordighera, Italy
IMG_3068v.jpg (121.27 KiB) Viewed 2148 times
Geoff

Re: Euphorbia desmondi

Post by Geoff »

Large, mutibranched 'tree' species from India. It has relatively good cold hardiness considering its origins, to about 27F. In California it tends to be deciduous, sometimes leaving a single, skinny, four sided column of dull green and small, paired spines. But as things warm up, and with sufficient water, thick, succulent, bright green paddle-shaped leaves form that have a subtle bilobed appearance. Grows very easily from cuttings. Rots easily in winter, though if kept to wet or in not excellently draining soil.

I love this species... grows well outdoors for me in the San Fernando Valley (part of Los Angeles)... though I doubt it will EVER look that nice...
Euphorbia desmondii leafless now that overhead protection gone 1-13.jpg
Euphorbia desmondii leafless now that overhead protection gone 1-13.jpg (197.3 KiB) Viewed 2144 times
Geoff

Re: Euphorbia desmondi

Post by Geoff »

here a few years earlier before I cleared the stuff overhead..
Euphorbia desmondia no flash 9-11.JPG
Euphorbia desmondia no flash 9-11.JPG (147.25 KiB) Viewed 2144 times
A-California
Rhizome

Re: Euphorbia desmondii

Post by A-California »

I bought this Euphorbia desmondii from Robert Grisgby a very long time ago. I seem to remember him telling me he was one of (if not the only) a few to import this plant and the one I bought was his last. I remember a few of the other great plants I bought but right now only the ones that died. Like a huge crested euphorbia grandicornis (I've never seen another one) and I huge euphorbia antiquorum - both lost in el nino years. But this desmodii has been in this spot since the mid 90's growing strong. I think it keeps the leaves on because it's on the east side of my house so the trunk is shade most the afternoon. When the seeds are opening it sounds like popcorn popping all day, for a couple weeks
Attachments
Desmodii photo from roof
Desmodii photo from roof
P1040457.JPG (151.42 KiB) Viewed 1988 times
Desmodii taller than my house
Desmodii taller than my house
P1040471_edited-1.jpg (103.84 KiB) Viewed 1988 times
P1040419.JPG
P1040419.JPG (147.25 KiB) Viewed 1988 times
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Great photos!
A-California
Rhizome

Post by A-California »

A-California wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:06 am I bought this Euphorbia desmondii from David Grisgby a very long time ago. I seem to remember him telling me he was one of (if not the only) a few to import this plant and the one I bought was his last. I remember a few of the other great plants I bought but right now only the ones that died. Like a huge crested euphorbia grandicornis (I've never seen another one) and I huge euphorbia antiquorum - both lost in el nino years. But this desmodii has been in this spot since the mid 90's growing strong. I think it keeps the leaves on because it's on the east side of my house so the trunk is shade most the afternoon. When the seeds are opening it sounds like popcorn popping all day, for a couple weeks
Jkwinston
Ready to Bolt

Post by Jkwinston »

A-California wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:47 pm
A-California wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:06 am I bought this Euphorbia desmondii from David Grisgby a very long time ago. I seem to remember him telling me he was one of (if not the only) a few to import this plant and the one I bought was his last. I remember a few of the other great plants I bought but right now only the ones that died. Like a huge crested euphorbia grandicornis (I've never seen another one) and I huge euphorbia antiquorum - both lost in el nino years. But this desmodii has been in this spot since the mid 90's growing strong. I think it keeps the leaves on because it's on the east side of my house so the trunk is shade most the afternoon. When the seeds are opening it sounds like popcorn popping all day, for a couple weeks
Hello I am curious, and I do have a small plant in a pot. Do you still have the plant growing at that large size ? Jkw
Stan
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10a

Post by Stan »

I would like a cutting or so Trade. Only six posts and some nice plants? ::wink:: :S
Hayward Ca. 75-80f summers,60f winters.