Dyckia Tarzan, Tarzana...same or different?

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to xeric Bromeliads such as Hechtia, Dyckia, Puya, Tillandsia and related species. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Dyckia Tarzan, Tarzana...same or different?

Post by Spination »

Assuming they were different, I added D. Tarzana to my collection last year. I can't decide if they are the same, or different. A labeling mistake that's been perpetuated, or something that was deliberately meant to be different. Anybody know?
Current pic of my D. Tarzan. The spines have been very consistent appearance wise as this plant has grown. It looks the same now as when it was smaller, except that there are more leaves and it's bigger. D)) When I say "looks the same", I'm referring to the spacing between the teeth. Also, Tarzan teeth seem to rake back towards the core. Tarzana teeth seem to be wider, and straighter.
2015 07 04 Dyckia Tarzan a X750.jpg
2015 07 04 Dyckia Tarzan a X750.jpg (236.15 KiB) Viewed 1626 times
And Tarzana. It could be the subtle differences I see are but variation between plants. This one seems to have more closely spaced teeth, which makes the teeth appear proportionately larger...which I find an attractive difference. My "Tarzan", never looked like this, even when smaller. Also, Tarzan has a twisty thing going on with the leaves, especially lower leaves. Tarzana, not so much...but maybe that will come with more maturation.
2015 07 04 Dyckia Tarzana a.JPG
2015 07 04 Dyckia Tarzana a.JPG (183.54 KiB) Viewed 1626 times
So, is it the same cultivar? Or are the "differences" merely variation among individual plants? Could be a case of looking for something that just isn't there...
Geoff

Re: Dyckia Tarzan, Tarzana...same or different?

Post by Geoff »

bet anything they are same cultivar… it is the spelling that has varied.
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

I wouldn't want to bet against you on that! Does seem like the most likely explanation...
:))
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

I have an original Bill Baker plant of this on the way...apparently, the correct name is D. Tarzana, and Tarzan is quite simply a corruption of the original name. Actually, it makes perfect sense, now that I have read some more info regarding Bill Baker, and the fact that his nursery was in Tarzana, California.
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

indeed… his home was just 1/2 mile from mine, and I used to walk by it all the time… beautiful stone wall hand built all around his property and cool glimpses of very old succulents and palms peeping over the top (wall is 10' high so hard to glimpse more than that).