Some Dyckias I grow.

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to xeric Bromeliads such as Hechtia, Dyckia, Puya, Tillandsia and related species. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.
RCS
Offset

Some Dyckias I grow.

Post by RCS »

Got these outside finally.
Attachments
Hechtia lanata  In a 12 inch pot and 16 inches across and still growing
Hechtia lanata In a 12 inch pot and 16 inches across and still growing
IMG_4768.JPG (122.5 KiB) Viewed 2001 times
Dyckia Avalanche a hybrid of mine
Dyckia Avalanche a hybrid of mine
IMG_4804.JPG (113.78 KiB) Viewed 2001 times
Dyckia Ice Follies Named hybrid of mine
Dyckia Ice Follies Named hybrid of mine
IMG_4803.JPG (122.03 KiB) Viewed 2001 times
An unnamed hybrid of mine
An unnamed hybrid of mine
IMG_4801.JPG (129.04 KiB) Viewed 2001 times
Dyckia Confetti, one of my hybrids
Dyckia Confetti, one of my hybrids
IMG_4800.JPG (127.98 KiB) Viewed 2001 times
Dyckia Battle Axe
Dyckia Battle Axe
IMG_4799.JPG (119.06 KiB) Viewed 2001 times
Dyckia White Fang
Dyckia White Fang
IMG_4798.JPG (134.91 KiB) Viewed 2001 times
Dyckia Rolling Stone
Dyckia Rolling Stone
IMG_4797.JPG (155.84 KiB) Viewed 2001 times
Dyckia Heaven and Hell
Dyckia Heaven and Hell
IMG_4795.JPG (148.56 KiB) Viewed 2001 times
Dyckia Gargantua
Dyckia Gargantua
IMG_4794.JPG (134.21 KiB) Viewed 2001 times
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Re: Some Dyckias I grow.

Post by Spination »

#1 - Awesome
#2 - Awesome
#3 - Awesome
They're all awesome!
Please excuse my drooling... :red:
Viegener
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10b

Post by Viegener »

Beauties, your hybrids.
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Hi Bob...congrats too on your named hybrids. I have your D. 'Snowball', and I was very interested to see that 'Snowball', and D. 'Avalanche', D. 'Confetti' are all the same parentage, with D. 'Ice Follies' sharing the same seed parent D. marnier-lapostollei v. Estevesii but different pollen parent.

A few things that are clear to me now: LA is a serious hotspot for Dyckia, as at least 1/3 of mine came from there via a couple of different Ebay Sellers, whom I guess you must know, since they offer some of your creations. Also, you must have been at this for quite some time.

I am curious about the 3 of the same parentage, wondering if they are different seed batches of the same cross, or from the same batch, and if they are progeny of the same exact plants, or different ones? My curiosity has mainly to do with the diversity among them, enough to warrant 3 different registered names.

Without question, D. marnier-lapostollei has to be my favorite species, so it's natural I would also be attracted to hybrids therefrom. Judging from info on the net, there's a fair amount of diversity within that species, and I have to admit that I find it a little confusing that one especially attractive one has variety status, especially since photos of them on the net are also not consistently without diversity as well.

I was wondering if you could post a pic of your seed parent plant of Estevesii?

Here's a recent shot of my own marnier-lapostollei. It's one of my top 10 favorite of all my plants, regardless of Family. Would you consider mine just one example of the species, or could it also be what is called 'Estevesii'? I have to admit that variety issue is not completely clear to me. One internet source of info actually calls it a subspecies, with the same traits but "more exaggerated features"... :huh:
2016 05 12 Dyckia marnier-lapostollei #1 X750.jpg
2016 05 12 Dyckia marnier-lapostollei #1 X750.jpg (253.45 KiB) Viewed 1981 times
By the way, how old is your oldest Dyckia? I gather they live indefinitely with suitable care?
RCS
Offset

Post by RCS »

The three were out of the same grex but came out a lot different. There were many more that were sold by a nursery in Florida that got the remaining plants from me. I'v been growing Bromeliads for about 40 years with the Dyckias about half that time. Like agaves and any other genus of plant there are variations in all the different species. Some are killer plants and others are not worth the space they take up. The D. marnier lap vr. estevesii I have came straight out of Brazil from the Burle Marx collection about 20 years ago. I'll post a picture of my plant when it's presentable. It hasn't made it out of the greenhouse yet and I really haven't looked at it close this spring. My favorite Dyckia specie is burle-marxii. Here is a picture I took at a Florida nursery several years ago. Mine looks terrible since I repotted it this spring. It's a very brittle plant and mean as a junk yard dog. I just about donated a half pint of blood and broke nearly every leaf in the process.
Attachments
Dyckia burle-marxii
Dyckia burle-marxii
IMG_1128.JPG (163.33 KiB) Viewed 1975 times
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Great looking plant!

I was taking fresh photos yesterday of mine as this is a great way to keep track of their progress over time, and thought I'd share this one - of your 'Snowball'. It's one of my favorites.
2016 06 01 Dyckia Snowball a X750.jpg
2016 06 01 Dyckia Snowball a X750.jpg (260.16 KiB) Viewed 1938 times

For kix, I'll just throw in this shot of another favorite. I know of no name, but it's story is: D. Arizona X Brittle Star X Ruby Snow X platyphylla
2016 06 01 Dyckia Arizona X Brittle Star X Ruby Snow X Platyphylla a X750.jpg
2016 06 01 Dyckia Arizona X Brittle Star X Ruby Snow X Platyphylla a X750.jpg (276.7 KiB) Viewed 1938 times