Tillandsia usenoides

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to xeric Bromeliads such as Hechtia, Dyckia, Puya, Tillandsia and related species. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.
SC FM
Ready to Bolt

Tillandsia usenoides

Post by SC FM »

Here are some pictures of Spanish moss I grow here in my backyard in Upstate SC. It does quite well. The only problem I have is that the birds like to shred it for nests, as they are doing as I type. Also the squirrels like to ball up big balls and carry it away in their mouths for their nests. I started with a much smaller amount and it has proliferated and grew leaps and bounds.
Attachments
DSC02556.JPG
DSC02556.JPG (78.84 KiB) Viewed 1124 times
DSC03513.JPG
DSC03513.JPG (134.44 KiB) Viewed 1124 times
DSC01087.JPG
DSC01087.JPG (124.1 KiB) Viewed 1124 times
DSC01092.JPG
DSC01092.JPG (175.71 KiB) Viewed 1124 times
Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Re: Tillandsia usenoides

Post by Azuleja »

This stuff is really pretty. I have a little clump that I'm trying to keep alive but it doesn't care for our climate. I'd be annoyed if birds and squirrels were constantly stealing it. The birds here enjoy using mane and tail hair from our horse, though they don't gather it from him directly. :lol:
Epiphyte
Offset

Re: Tillandsia usenoides

Post by Epiphyte »

Nice! The race to Canada! It looks like you're right on the edge of its natural range? This guy was interested in growing it in Virginia.

I have a bunch and the birds take mine too. But it sure doesn't grow in their nests. We don't get near enough summer rain. :(

Being used for nesting material is such a funny distribution strategy. Are there any other plants that have the same strategy? I try and imagine all the birds over the years selecting the most suitable varieties and facilitating their colonization. Survival of the comfiest.