ID? Hechtia?

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to xeric Bromeliads such as Hechtia, Dyckia, Puya, Tillandsia and related species. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.
DesertDweller
Ready to Bolt

ID? Hechtia?

Post by DesertDweller »

Spotted this one at a nursery, only info is "hechtia" scribbled on the pots. They seem to be in bloom, so wondering if these are indeed hechtia, would even the new growth points in the center (see middle two) survive? Stalk seems to emerge from the central growth point, after which, at least in some cases, smaller offsets emerge along side it. All four plants are flowering at once, and given their size, I was surprised to see that. I somehow figured they got larger than this?
IMG_9431.JPG
IMG_9431.JPG (114.33 KiB) Viewed 2396 times
Only shot I could get of the flower stalk, which appears damaged anyway:
IMG_9432.JPG
IMG_9432.JPG (92.89 KiB) Viewed 2396 times
Any ideas?
RCS
Offset

Re: ID? Hechtia?

Post by RCS »

They are Deuterocohnia longipetala and not a Hechtia. Glad you showed the inflorescence. They will continue to bloom on the old inflorescences year after year so if you get one don't cut it off.
DesertDweller
Ready to Bolt

Post by DesertDweller »

RCS wrote:They are Deuterocohnia longipetala and not a Hechtia. Glad you showed the inflorescence. They will continue to bloom on the old inflorescences year after year so if you get one don't cut it off.
Awesome, thank you for the ID!
Luc
Ready to Bolt

Post by Luc »

Why the central buds shouldn't survive ?

I have two Hechtias which have not bloomed yet and make offsets under the main rosette and also axillary buds between the lower leaves in the same time. I can't remember if the Deteurochnia do that also.

We really need a book for the xeric bromeliads, I'm still surprised by the lack of informations concerning those plants.
DesertDweller
Ready to Bolt

Post by DesertDweller »

Luc wrote:Why the central buds shouldn't survive ?

I have two Hechtias which have not bloomed yet and make offsets under the main rosette and also axillary buds between the lower leaves in the same time. I can't remember if the Deteurochnia do that also.

We really need a book for the xeric bromeliads, I'm still surprised by the lack of informations concerning those plants.
Agreed. I remember trying to find a good book regarding Dyckia, for example, and came up empty.
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Rightly or wrongly, I think that the creation of specialty books is influenced by financial concerns - like how many copies can they sell? Personally, I love the plants, but just how popular really are they out there? Enough to warrant a book and selling enough copies to make a profit? How often do I see Dyckia for example at nurseries I visit? Not so much...
DesertDweller
Ready to Bolt

Post by DesertDweller »

Spination wrote:Rightly or wrongly, I think that the creation of specialty books is influenced by financial concerns - like how many copies can they sell? Personally, I love the plants, but just how popular really are they out there? Enough to warrant a book and selling enough copies to make a profit? How often do I see Dyckia for example at nurseries I visit? Not so much...
Yup, it is the unfortunate truth. We are spoiled by good sources of agave literature. ;)
RCS
Offset

Post by RCS »

A book is being put together on Hechtia by Andy Siekkinen. He lives in San Diego and has made many trips into Mexico documenting these plants. It should be a great book.
Paul S
Ready to Bolt

Post by Paul S »

Luc wrote: We really need a book for the xeric bromeliads, I'm still surprised by the lack of informations concerning those plants.
Amen. I grow as many as I can manage but there is so little info out there, and what there is is dispersed all over the place. Some of the temperate genera such as Fascicularia, Ochagavia, Greigia and Puya make fascinating garden subjects but the names are a minefield.
Luc
Ready to Bolt

Post by Luc »

Yes, a minefield or a desert in some case,I regularly find in the grower's lists : Hechtia or Deuterocohnia sp. something, generaly a name of a town or a county .
Strangely, the Dudleya or Fouquieria have their monograph, despite the fact they are genus with a modest success in the collections.
Indeed, Andy Siekkinen seems to be THE MAN needed if a book should be written, I was reading his messages when XW was still active.