Tillandsia usneoides

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to xeric Bromeliads such as Hechtia, Dyckia, Puya, Tillandsia and related species. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.
SC FM
Ready to Bolt

Tillandsia usneoides

Post by SC FM »

Here are pictures of Tillandsia usnoides(Spanish Moss) growing on my water oak in my back yard. I started with a small amount several years ago and it a has spread immensely. Squirrels and birds love it to make nests. Squirrels ball it up in their mouths and run off with their cheeks full. There is a Purple Finch family raising a family in it now. The first two pics are form last year and the third one is this Spring. I painted the bench, LOL.
Attachments
DSC02556.JPG
DSC02556.JPG (78.84 KiB) Viewed 1019 times
DSC03610.JPG
DSC03610.JPG (127.16 KiB) Viewed 1019 times
DSC03719.JPG
DSC03719.JPG (132.7 KiB) Viewed 1019 times
abborean
Ready to Bolt

Re: Tillandsia usneoides

Post by abborean »

a bit surprised it does so well "upstate"
SC FM
Ready to Bolt

Re: Tillandsia usneoides

Post by SC FM »

I guess it grows naturally in your area. It keeps spreading and doing well for me. IF the birds and squirrels would leave it alone then it would maybe be more of it, then again, it does help it spread with all there jerking and etc. I had a purple finch family build and fledge younguns' a few weeks back. They built in it last year as well. I actually love the Spanish Moss'.