Plants Sales

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to xeric plants, which do not fit under any of our established categories, or to discuss issues of a general nature that bear relevance across multiple categories.

Plants Sales

Post Number:#1  Postby Gee.S » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:37 pm

Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, and others walk the walk, but we stalk the stalk"
Gee.S
Site Admin

Re: Plants Sales

Post Number:#2  Postby Gee.S » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:23 pm

Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

Gee.S
Site Admin

Post Number:#3  Postby mcvansoest » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:48 pm

I was just there for the Member's preview and can say that for Agaves it is not worth the trouble. However, for Aloes it most certainly is, lots of variety and stuff I have not seen regularly at local nurseries and I think some excess from the Wallace Garden Collection made it onto the sales tables, so a few pretty nice specimen plants. There are some nice cacti as well, but nothing that blew me away in terms of 'must have'. They have a number of good sized Leuchtenbergia principis (aka Agave Cactus) and a bunch of good sized Mammilarias that stood out to me as particularly nice.

I came home with a bunch of Aloes, some of which I know will do OK here, but some I will be testing out: a nice A. erinacea (got two last time as well, price has gone up, but still below what similarly sized plants go for on eBay, for now I am just planning on growing them), a small but good looking A. ramosissima (they had another two or three), A. ellenbeckii (the only one there), A. vacillans (the only one there), A. cameronii (one of two available, will have to see if that is truly it as its leaves were rather spotted - though the overall shape and coloring looked good), and another one that started with a c. that I do not remember and none of the obvious entries in the gallery here match, so I will have to check out the label when I get home.

They have some large 5 gallon plus pots with A. elegans, some gigantic A. claviflora that I did not recognize as claviflora, but the head horticulturalist insisted was indeed claviflora - I think it was a) too big, and b) too spotted, but they were nice plants, but I was on a budget, so had to leave it behind, but there were plenty of choices beyond what I ended up with. Plenty of the miniature Aloes, gasterias, gasteraloes, haworthias, etc. So if you have a taste for Aloes and associated plants it is worth a visit. The sale goes from tomorrow till the 26th if I remember correctly. 1 gallon pots in the range of $10-20 depending on which Aloe it is. I think it is 10% off for the regular sale and 20% if you are a member.
It is what it is!
mcvansoest

Location: Mesa, Arizona, USA ie. Low Desert & Urban Heat Island

Post Number:#4  Postby toditd » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:18 pm

mcvansoest wrote:They have some large 5 gallon plus pots with A. elegans, some gigantic A. claviflora that I did not recognize as claviflora, but the head horticulturalist insisted was indeed claviflora - I think it was a) too big, and b) too spotted, but they were nice plants, but I was on a budget, so had to leave it behind, but there were plenty of choices beyond what I ended up with.

I made a trip out to BTA today to check out the Aloe claviflora at the plant sale. And I completely agree with mcvansoest that what they had labeled as A. claviflora seemed to have something else going on. Maybe something completely different or maybe a hybrid with a spotted aloe.

In addition to what mcvansoest mentioned, the inflorescence on the one I saw was branched and erect. From what I've researched recently, the inflorescence A. claviflora is typically unbranched and growing horizontally or nearly so. Yes, it was a nice plant, but not what I was looking for, so I left without it. (In hindsight I should have take a photo of it, oh well.)
toditd
Offset

Post Number:#5  Postby mcvansoest » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:53 pm

Here a picture of one of the BTA A. clavifloras in bloom along their main trail. The only thing the ones in the sale (and the one I bought last year) have in common with it is that the flowers are of similar color... I will see how it does this summer.
Attachments
DSC_0057.JPG
A. claviflora BTA
DSC_0057.JPG (116.05 KiB) Viewed 391 times
It is what it is!
mcvansoest

Post Number:#6  Postby toditd » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:27 pm

:)) I took several photos of that exact same plant this afternoon!
toditd
Offset

Post Number:#7  Postby Azuleja » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:19 am

The Ruth Bancroft Gardens Spring Fling is this weekend and they just posted an inventory of the sale plants.
Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Post Number:#8  Postby Melt in the Sun » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:13 am

Nice list...anybody volunteering as a proxy buyer? :huh:
Melt in the Sun
Ready to Bolt

Post Number:#9  Postby Azuleja » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:25 pm

I would have liked to go but it's not going to work out. I think this is the first time they've posted an inventory.
Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Post Number:#10  Postby Melt in the Sun » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:47 pm

Bummer ;)
Melt in the Sun
Ready to Bolt

Post Number:#11  Postby mcvansoest » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:48 pm

Coming up this weekend the CACSS show and sale at the Desert Botanical Garden - Friday - Sunday April 7-9.
It is what it is!
mcvansoest

Post Number:#12  Postby Azuleja » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:41 pm

Aaack! Look away.
Attachments
Screenshot_2017-06-10-16-37-25-1-1.jpg
Screenshot_2017-06-10-16-37-25-1-1.jpg (93.64 KiB) Viewed 266 times
Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Post Number:#13  Postby toditd » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:04 pm

It's October and for us in the AZ desert that means Fall Plant Sales!

Boyce Thompson Arboretum Fall Plant Sale: October 13-29, 2017 (October 13 BTA members only preview.)

Desert Botanical Garden Fall Plant Sale: October 20-22, 2017 (October 20 DBG members only preview.)
toditd
Offset

Post Number:#14  Postby Viegener » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:02 am

The Huntington Garden's fall plant sale is Oct 27 - 29 , 2017, 10am to 5pm. I'll be traveling in Europe, otherwise I'd be there & ready to take orders for those of you interested. The fall sale is always smaller than the spring sale, even though overall fall is a better planting time for Souther California. I'm sure I'll be able to go to the spring plant sale next year...
Viegener

Post Number:#15  Postby Azuleja » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:33 am

Well, I'll be. I think that's the weekend we're headed that way.
Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Post Number:#16  Postby Viegener » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:10 pm

Try to get to the sale as early as possible Friday morning. That's when the best plants go out.
Viegener

Post Number:#17  Postby Azuleja » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:47 pm

The soonest we can be there is Saturday :(
Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Post Number:#18  Postby Gee.S » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:47 pm

Hey, anyone can show up early and pick up the "best plants". The real fun is showing up later with enough wherewithal to grab gems the others missed.
Agave

Gee.S
Site Admin

Previous topic Next topic

Return to Other Xeric Plants