Xericworld.com ?

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to xeric plants, which do not fit under any of our established categories, or to discuss issues of a general nature that bear relevance across multiple categories.
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Re: Xericworld.com ?

Post by Spination »

Gentry's Ghost, I'm not meaning to rile ya up, but you should check this out!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Agave-Titanota- ... Sw44BYQbbN" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nevermind the titanota biz - check out the photo-shop. Everything is blue. Blue gravel...everything. Really? They think buyers are that stupid not to notice and wonder? :lol:
Stan
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10a

Post by Stan »

Spination wrote:Gentry's Ghost, I'm not meaning to rile ya up, but you should check this out!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Agave-Titanota- ... Sw44BYQbbN" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nevermind the titanota biz - check out the photo-shop. Everything is blue. Blue gravel...everything. Really? They think buyers are that stupid not to notice and wonder? :lol:
You think they will toss in some cuttings of that super rare blue Jade?
Hayward Ca. 75-80f summers,60f winters.
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Hahaha, I was tripping on that too. So funny.
Stone Jaguar
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stone Jaguar »

This post mortem of XW has proven very interesting so far. I am heartened by some wry admissions of a few members that they wished they had not been occasional bomb-throwers in the past (me, too!!) on forums now dead or dying. Hopefully, we can all gaze into the abyss that is the alternative on social media; wince, shudder (puke?), and make an effort to give this forum our support & best shot. IMO, smart folks generally hold very strong opinions and it is often too easy to roll over people in discussions on the 'net. As several have noted already, we have reached the dreadful juncture where the merest whisper of an opinion of US politics can spark the instant termination of good manners and relations, even among family members. This being the case, maybe we can all agree that we have enough aggro and tears in the real world...why bother to squander the chance of a bit o' good, clean fun here?

BTW, since I participate on another exotic plant forum whose owner ran out of time and incentive to maintain it, a few of the original members got together and we - for now at least - split the bill to keep it up and running. Given the reputed value of the info in some threads on XW, I am not sure why Mr. Repashy didn't just lock it down to participation and make it "read only" until a final determination of its fate was made? Surely a couple hundred bucks a year for domain maintenance is no big deal for a founder?

Cheers,

Jay
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Jay,
According to the last thread he (AR) himself started and wrote regarding the threatened impending fate of XW, it wasn't a matter of a couple hundred bucks. He said, it was ONE hundred dollars a year.
Also, I can't help but notice his slamming of this site on that thread which no one can now look at (except that I took a screen shot and have it saved) combined with the amazing co-incidence of this thread's creation and timing, and discussion here of XW, and the subsequent immediate, sudden and before-scheduled "retirement" of XW. Personally, I am not a big fan of "coincidence theory", further underscoring my take that the man is very petty and small-minded. I already discovered that previously, no big shocker here. Obviously, he was well-aware of the discussion here, and that was his reaction - to shut down his site well before he said was the deadline.

As far as politics, I have a brother who was shockingly in the opposite camp as myself regarding the election. Of course, I still love my brother - we never had a fight, and as soon as I realized the lay of the land, I just refused to discuss it with him. :lol: Interestingly, with the barrage of every day revelations I've never seen the likes of in my lifetime, which no doubt are far from over, he appears to be changing his tune. I remember Watergate, and that was NOTHING compared to what's happening right now. That was a third rate burglary, not collusion with a hostile foreign government and bought and paid for people of influence within our new government (some subsequently fired, some not - yet). I'm waiting for my brother to concede that I was right, and he was delusional, but if that day never comes, it's OK. :lol: Blood is thicker than politics, and as far as I'm concerned, plants and the love thereof are thicker than politics too. ::wink:: The hell with politics!

Regardless, this is one tight community here. I am only aware of one adult baby that took his toys and went home, due to taken umbrage of one single thread on this site that expressed disappointment over the historical events that took place. It's regrettable, and perhaps it would have been better that nothing had been said at all by anyone, including myself. Ya know, we're human, not machines, and we don't know in advance the exact repercussions of every thing we say and do, or if people are going to bear a grudge because we don't agree with them, even if we don't think we're out of line. In any case, some folks I guess have very thin skin - oh well. Regarding the reported fate of other forums which took big hits due to political disagreements, there has been next to nothing here, and if it didn't happen yet, with what's going on so far, it's just not going to. I think we're gold here. Looks like smooth sailing that I can see.
D))
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

The palm board went south when it went racial. That's when they dropped "The Palapa". Another terrible forum? International Fruit Growers. I would call that the WORST plant board of all. I was constantly trolled by "fernandez" of la habra I would say he is THE most vile person you will ever meet on the internet...actually got angry that I said Avocados grow fine in the bay area. He went ballistic.Said that HE NEVER saw one Avocado tree in the bay area. So,I posted a photo of an old 35-40' tree down the street.
It made no difference.
That board gave out so much bad advice,I couldn't believe it. They thought they were "advanced" past garden web..when they in ways were far worst...instead of learning like GW people often are...ITF types were convinced they were the last word. I can tell you - they might know what does great in their front yard,but telling a nor cal person? They were way off.
I was embarrassed by fellow bay areans who wouldn't stand up- intimidated by soucal and florida hobby people. Amazing. I said good bye to THAT board.
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

I'm a creature of habit. I get comfortable, and then that's what I tend to want to continue with. That said, when I find something I really like, something I'm really happy with, I don't go looking around for something else.
This forum suits all my needs, keeps me learning, on my toes, and everyone is friendly and has a similar mindset. I would venture to say there is not one bit less knowledge right here than XW, but a whole lot more manners and good positive atmosphere. This is going to sound funny, but I'm actually grateful to XW, for giving me a working example of something that left a lot to be desired, so that I could fully appreciate just how good it is right here!
Agavemonger
Ready to Bolt

Post by Agavemonger »

Wow!

That is one I will have to get. I don't have any 'Rare Blue Rose' Agaves yet! ::wink::

The Monger
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Rush to Lowes! such a deal!

Post by Stan »

A few are left.
Attachments
IMG_6593.JPG
IMG_6593.JPG (124.36 KiB) Viewed 3709 times
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

OMG. That's it. I just put a call in to the SPCA. No, not that one... The Society for Prevention of Cruelty to ALOES. That's just sick. :lol:
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

I wonder what Aloe's those were before they became living graffiti? Any ideas?
Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Post by Azuleja »

They look like gasteraloes to me. Possibly the one called 'Royal Highness'
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Ah! Good call.
I was stuck because I thought they were a lot bigger than they appear in the photo. Now that you mention it, I think they're actually not very big at all. Makes complete sense to me now. :))
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

You know,I've seen some boards MUCH slower then Xeric World ever got to..not even close and they go on. We may never know the real reason. :?
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

I see Xeric Worlds rulers have decided against just trashing it all and are archiving it. Although the damage caused by Photobucket on that old site must be huge.
Shmuel
Offset

Post by Shmuel »

I didn't know xericworld was gone till this. It has been a while since I logged on - well I met a lot of nice people around the world through that side and traded some great seed.

May agaveville live and be well!

Shmuel
Jerusalem Israel
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

Shmuel wrote:I didn't know xericworld was gone till this. It has been a while since I logged on - well I met a lot of nice people around the world through that side and traded some great seed.

May agaveville live and be well!

Shmuel
Jerusalem Israel
:U :U
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

I happen to see a reference to Allan on the net. It mentioned that his nursery- seemed like a pretty large operation for a nursery also closed. Maybe,it was that stress that led to XericWorld going down.
Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by Gee.S »

The forum was established as a vehicle to sell his (and his partner Kelly Griffin) wares. It was, as I recall, a small mom and pop operation called Xeric Growers, and suffered some strange accidental death by drowning. And this was a few years prior to the end of the forum.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
AndyT

Post by AndyT »

Just found this thread - it explains a lot. I joined Xeric World near the end because of the great older information but found it to be a ghost town after I signed up. Glad to see an active community here with some familiar names I came to respect for sharing their expertise and advice.

FYI, for those who want to get archival access the now defunct Xeric World website, or any other defunct website for that matter, check out the “Wayback Machine” at the nonprofit Internet Archive. It’s not an 100% backup but what I’ve seen so far, it pretty much captures snapshots through to the bitter end.

https://web.archive.org/web/*/http://xericworld.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was turned on to this initiative when I found that another valuable plant subject site went down. Unlike this case, that one was by a respected and well liked (very) small business where the owners retired and could no longer afford the upkeep - replace every negative mentioned here with a glowing positive and you’ll get the picture. Here, I think the Wayback Machine gives the rare opportunity to have your cake and eat it too.
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

Well,its not much..pretty much one page at a time and "this page does not exist". Thanks anyways :U . The internet is too huge even for the Wayback machine. Joy Reid must have really bad luck!
AndyT

Post by AndyT »

Yes, most of the highlighted dates (green dots) are just the times when the Wayback Machine looked at the webpage. Though I haven’t plumbed the depths of the captures of Xeric World I’ve been able to find all of the other website I was looking for. That one may have been a lot smaller and archived more frequently. Look for the blue dot on a date, which I believe indicates an archive capture. I randomly found one on Aug 5, 2016. Don’t know if it’s 100% complete but I was able to successfully load the home page and follow links to a couple forum topics. Not perfect but maybe helpful to someone.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160601000 ... world.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Melt in the Sun
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by Melt in the Sun »

Gang - click on "site map of XericWorld.com" then pick a date from the row immediately below. All the recent dates lead to the "forum archived" page, but the older backups have threads in them. It is not complete and not intuitive (and doesn't appear searchable) but may yield some lost gems for someone with time to kill :))