Palo Blanco

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to xeric plants, which do not fit under any of our established categories, or to discuss issues of a general nature that bear relevance across multiple categories.
Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Palo Blanco

Post by Gee.S »

I had added this tree to my landscape a few years back, pics on another now defunct forum. It was 12' tall and about 3' wide in a 5-gal container. It looked ridiculous. Just noticed after cutting down an Agave stalk that was leaning into it, how lovely and elegant that gawky 12' twig has become. Should be a real stunner in another 2-3 years.

If I were permitted a landscape do-over, I would have half a dozen of these beautiful trees.
Palo Blanco Tree
Palo Blanco Tree
blanco 004.JPG (132.82 KiB) Viewed 1500 times
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
toditd
Ready to Bolt

Re: Palo Blanco

Post by toditd »

Yes, I agree, Palo Blanco is a very nice tree. They are "twiggy" when young, but grow out nicely. I've been seriously considering adding one or two to my yard.
Stan
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10a

Post by Stan »

Very nice landscaping. What the reddish columnar cactus?
Hayward Ca. 75-80f summers,60f winters.
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

Thanks, that a Fero, F. cylindraceus. They grow like weeds around here.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

toditd wrote:Yes, I agree, Palo Blanco is a very nice tree. They are "twiggy" when young, but grow out nicely. I've been seriously considering adding one or two to my yard.
It really is the perfect tree for a xeric landscape, at least around here. No bright sun/dark shade border to fret, impervious to wind (I had read all manner of strongly worded "DO NOT STAKE" warnings before planting) , and one of the least messy trees I've seen. It's like living 30% shade cloth.
Agave

Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Post by Azuleja »

We have other acacia type trees here but these are said to be damaged in the high to mid 20's. Low twenties would probably spell death?
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

According to Cool Plants for Hot Gardens -- Starr, "Hardy to high twenties, twig damage to mid twenties, substantial damage below 20°F".

So at mid twenties the tree is deciduous, but it seems good down to about 20°F. The first year I had it, the puny little trunk was all of about 1" diameter (and 12' tall! LOL), and it managed mid-upper twenties without complaint.
Agave

Stone Jaguar
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stone Jaguar »

Gee, what genus is this? Palo blanco in CentrAm is Tabebuia donnell-smithii.
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

Acacia willardiana
Agave

toditd
Ready to Bolt

Post by toditd »

There was a big shake up of the acacia genus in the mid-2000's. Basically most non-Australian species were moved out of the acacia genus into other genera. Acacia willardiana is now a synonym for Mariosousa willardiana.