Desert Shaggy Mane

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to xeric plants, which do not fit under any of our established categories, or to discuss issues of a general nature that bear relevance across multiple categories.
toditd
Ready to Bolt

Desert Shaggy Mane

Post by toditd »

Technically not a Xeric "Plant" but …

Last weekend's monsoon storm brought to the surface these 5 inch tall mushrooms that I found in the yard today. Desert Shaggy Mane, Podaxis pistillaris, is often found in the Sonoran Desert after a good monsoon soaking. A xeric fungi, P. pistillaris has adaptations for desert survival such as a cap that remains closed to prevent moisture loss, and spores that are double-walled. If you would like to add these to your xeric garden, perhaps I can send you a few spores. D))
Podaxis pistillaris
Podaxis pistillaris
IMG_1541.JPG (147.57 KiB) Viewed 1260 times
Melt in the Sun
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 9b

Re: Desert Shaggy Mane

Post by Melt in the Sun »

Already got a bunch of them! They're supposed to be useful as a face/body paint and hair dye for covering grays.
Stan
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10a

Post by Stan »

Edible?
Hayward Ca. 75-80f summers,60f winters.
toditd
Ready to Bolt

Post by toditd »

Stan wrote:Edible?
Don't know for sure. I've seen reports that they are edible and reports that aren't.

Some sources say it is not edible because it is tough, fibrous and woody. Some say it is mildly toxic. Some say it is edible if picked young while it is still white and before it turns into a "puffball".

It is found in many dry regions around the world, and has been used by some cultures for food or medicine, but there is some debate on whether these are all the same species.

So before you go and put them on your dinner plate or toss them in your salad bowl, do your homework first!