ID

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to xeric plants, which do not fit under any of our established categories, or to discuss issues of a general nature that bear relevance across multiple categories.
Luc
Ready to Bolt

ID

Post by Luc »

Someone ask me to identify this plant but I do not know what is it. I have not seen the whole plant but the guy told me that it is an evergreen (Probably, the leaves are still on the plant) tree.
Any thoughts.
IMG_0018.JPG
IMG_0018.JPG (65.08 KiB) Viewed 1366 times
IMG_0021.JPG
IMG_0021.JPG (68.35 KiB) Viewed 1366 times
Stan
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10a

Re: ID

Post by Stan »

Evergreen Ash -Fraxinus sp.?
Hayward Ca. 75-80f summers,60f winters.
Luc
Ready to Bolt

Post by Luc »

Yes that's what it comes in mind at first glance, but the leaflet layout is very special.
Stan
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10a

Post by Stan »

I did Google around...and the Mexican flowering tree in the Taebulia family resemble that.
Hayward Ca. 75-80f summers,60f winters.
Shmuel
Offset

Post by Shmuel »

Fraxinus has a pinnately compound leaf - opposite leaflets and then a terminal leaflet.

Tababuia is a really good call, Stan. Opposite - palmately compound leaves. Buds look right too. Tabebuia impetiginosa is a possibility as it has the serrated leaflet margins. Spectacular when it blooms - like a pink Jacaranda - leaves fall and then all bloom. It tends to be fairly frost tender in California, but here in Jerusalem the botanical garden's trees are from seed in the coldest part of their South American range. They even stand occasional snows. If you are in San Diego or Florida this is a good bet. The other commonly grown is the yellow Tanebuia crysostricha - a bit more cold hardy, but as I recall the leaflets are not serrated.

Shmuel
Jerusalem Israel
Luc
Ready to Bolt

Post by Luc »

Waow, I thing you are right, thank you very much both.
Stan , I didn't pay enough attention of your answer, I would have search better with the genus name you gave me but I have to say that I did not know it was possible to grow this genus in metropolitan France but why not, this tree grow in the town of Perpignan, in the very south of France which is nearly in zone 10.