TALL Cussonia in Durban.

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to xeric plants, which do not fit under any of our established categories, or to discuss issues of a general nature that bear relevance across multiple categories.
Stan
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10a

TALL Cussonia in Durban.

Post by Stan »

I'm calling it as one since that's their native continent. I put Durban in the title for those who sense a "Stan google maps post" coming on.
https://www.google.com/maps/@-29.860042 ... 312!8i6656" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hayward Ca. 75-80f summers,60f winters.
Epiphyte
Offset

Re: TALL Cussonia in Durban.

Post by Epiphyte »

Check out this photo of a Cussonia spicata in nature with an orchid (Polystachya ottoniana) growing on it. Have you managed to find any more street view trees with epiphytes on them? That street you found in Brazil was really nice. I quickly searched around southern Mexico and Guatemala. My verdict is that the world is suffering from a severe shortage of epiphytes.
Stan
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10a

Re: TALL Cussonia in Durban.

Post by Stan »

Are Maxillaria orchids good for mounting? I have one that is INFAMOUS for never blooming. Even the best of UC Berkeley couldn't get this sucker to bloom..so they gave it to me when I knew the right people 15 years ago :8: I still have it. Little bitty foliage like in your link. Hardy. Took all our cold outdoors for me- no problems.

Here's a huge Brazilian Fern tree..but up and down the streets are more Tipuano trees..some are close photos of the Ripsalis and ferns on them.

I notice too- Durban is a really beautiful city..much more modern then even Port Elizabeth and its cooler climate. Durban is a great place to look around for exotics.

Anyway's HUGE fern tree
https://www.google.com/maps/@-30.018303 ... 6656?hl=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hayward Ca. 75-80f summers,60f winters.