Aeonium Nobile beheading.

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Aeonium, Crassula, Dudleya, Echeveria, Kalanchoe, Rhodiola, Sedum, Sempervium and related species. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.

Moderator: Aeonium2003

Neli
Offset

Aeonium Nobile beheading.

Post by Neli »

I believe nobile is single rosette aeonium. I have managed to root some leaves and they are so fast, but I wonder what will happen if I behead it like echeveria. Will it give shoots? Anyone has done it?
Attachments
I belief it grows like this.
I belief it grows like this.
Aeonium_nobile_03.jpg (232.7 KiB) Viewed 2484 times
One of my nobile.
One of my nobile.
IMG_2801.JPG (146.47 KiB) Viewed 2484 times
Leaf baby nobile
Leaf baby nobile
DSC00652 (600x450).jpg (320.17 KiB) Viewed 2484 times
Geoff

Re: Aeonium Nobile beheading.

Post by Geoff »

not always solitary...though it make take an injury or stress to make it branch
Aeonium nobile huge larb.jpg
Aeonium nobile huge larb.jpg (161.1 KiB) Viewed 2478 times
Aeonium nobile branching.jpg
Aeonium nobile branching.jpg (90.48 KiB) Viewed 2478 times
Aeonium nobile suckering.jpg
Aeonium nobile suckering.jpg (48.55 KiB) Viewed 2478 times
Agavemonger
Ready to Bolt

Post by Agavemonger »

Heads and offsets root relatively easily. :U

The Monger
Stan
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10a

Post by Stan »

Not frost tolerant. I had one I bought in the late summer a few years ago. A deal. Then I think we had a typical frost in winter- no big deal.It melted at that.
Hayward Ca. 75-80f summers,60f winters.
Neli
Offset

Post by Neli »

Geoff wrote:not always solitary...though it make take an injury or stress to make it branch
So I can chop it then and try. Going to chop it today he he he. Thanks! Or maybe just destroy the growing poinf and leave some leaves on top?
Neli
Offset

Post by Neli »

Stan wrote:Not frost tolerant. I had one I bought in the late summer a few years ago. A deal. Then I think we had a typical frost in winter- no big deal.It melted at that.
I have no frost here. Africa.
Neli
Offset

Post by Neli »

Agavemonger wrote:Heads and offsets root relatively easily. :U

The Monger
Even leaves are fast and easy. I ordered mine from &USA as cuttings. They travelled 1 month. Some of the leaves dropped from drying in the box. I just put them in a tray with some echeveria leaves That had pups already. It produced babies on all 5 leaves much faster than the echeverias. Conclusion: leaves are better dried well before planting.
Stan
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10a

Post by Stan »

Another posting on that here a couple of years ago was of this growing in San Francsico and described as a heavy pupper for a plant that is said to be forever solitary. So,they mentioned it might be a hybrid at heart. I dont know. Maybe somebody -like with some Aloe's - found one that does pup naturally and of course like all the books say ,THAT'S the one that spread around the world.
Hayward Ca. 75-80f summers,60f winters.
Neli
Offset

Post by Neli »

Stan wrote:Another posting on that here a couple of years ago was of this growing in San Francsico and described as a heavy pupper for a plant that is said to be forever solitary. So,they mentioned it might be a hybrid at heart. I dont know. Maybe somebody -like with some Aloe's - found one that does pup naturally and of course like all the books say ,THAT'S the one that spread around the world.
Mine dont look like they are going to pup and the one I chopped has not pups also....but time will tell.
Drel
Seedling

Post by Drel »

Stan wrote:Another posting on that here a couple of years ago was of this growing in San Francsico and described as a heavy pupper for a plant that is said to be forever solitary. So,they mentioned it might be a hybrid at heart. I dont know. Maybe somebody -like with some Aloe's - found one that does pup naturally and of course like all the books say ,THAT'S the one that spread around the world.

My local nursery here in the East Bay has two stocks of Aeonium Nobile in store, one stock is solitary rosette while the other is prolific with 6-7 heads bunching on the same branch. Funny stuff. I'm eyeing the solitary one, looks like it could make for a pretty bloom in the future.
Neli
Offset

Post by Neli »

Mine died after I beheaded it but now the other ones have side shoots.
Drel
Seedling

Post by Drel »

Neli wrote:Mine died after I beheaded it but now the other ones have side shoots.
Oh no Neli! Did it refuse to root?
Paul S
Ready to Bolt

Post by Paul S »

I would guess that the offsetting plants are hybrids. I've seen this in its habitat - the Canary Island of La Palma - and where it grows away from other Aeoniums it looks correct and solitary. As soon as you see it growing with others nearby it changes. Promiscuous plants, aeoniums, but this one seems to have particularly loose morals. :))
Neli
Offset

Post by Neli »

Paul S wrote:I would guess that the offsetting plants are hybrids. I've seen this in its habitat - the Canary Island of La Palma - and where it grows away from other Aeoniums it looks correct and solitary. As soon as you see it growing with others nearby it changes. Promiscuous plants, aeoniums, but this one seems to have particularly loose morals. :))
He he he he! We call them Hule here in Africa or prostitutes....Hope they will grow big, but so far it has been so easy from leaves. If removed properly 100% success and faster than echeverias.