Echeveria Fred Ives

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Aeonium, Crassula, Dudleya, Echeveria, Kalanchoe, Rhodiola, Sedum, Sempervium and related species. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.

Moderator: Aeonium2003

RCS
Offset

Echeveria Fred Ives

Post by RCS »

Fred is looking pretty good this winter. Excuse all the leaves, winter is kind if messy around here.
Attachments
Echeveria Fred Ives.
Echeveria Fred Ives.
IMG_4562.JPG (159.59 KiB) Viewed 1336 times
Echeveria Fred Ives
Echeveria Fred Ives
IMG_4566.JPG (125.8 KiB) Viewed 1336 times
Agavemonger
Ready to Bolt

Re: Echeveria Fred Ives

Post by Agavemonger »

Your photo-bombing Yucca cv. 'Walbristar' seems to be stealing the show! D))

The Monger
RCS
Offset

Post by RCS »

Yep Kent, That is a real favorite of mine. Picked a couple of those up at HD two years ago. Wish I had a half dozen instead of two. I don't think they like our excessive rain here especially this past year. Needs to be on a hill instead of right at ground level. Here's a better picture showing all it's warts.
Attachments
Y. 'Walbristar
Y. 'Walbristar
IMG_4563.JPG (143.05 KiB) Viewed 1329 times
Agavemonger
Ready to Bolt

Post by Agavemonger »

A friend of mine (Not necessarily a Bona Fide plant freak like those of us who tend to orbit this forum) has a maturing plant of Yucca cv. 'Walbristar' (Note: This plant is also sold as Yucca cv. 'Bright Star') that is perhaps four feet tall to the tip of it's tallest leaf. The plant has been in the ground for some time, and has bifurcated this year and also simultaneously offset with three or four basal pups.

Leaves appear to max out at about twenty-four inches, and are even brighter and more vivid than young plants might suggest. The maroon-ish winter coloring is also more prevalent on larger plants. Truly, this is simply a magnificent cultivar, that drops the jaws on all who see it.

However, when planting this into the ground, one should be careful as to where to permanently site this plant, as it's ultimate size might be quite a bit larger than small, slow-growing potted plants might suggest. Mature leaves are somewhat rigid, and even "spikier" than the nefarious spination of the mostly smaller plants in cultivation :red: .

Another reason for giving this plant plenty of room: It makes such a dominant statement that very few plants can hold a candle to it, so perhaps plant it on a low, central mound with smaller accent plants that will complement this amazing cultivar, rather than larger plants that would only be visually diminished by the glow of your 'Walbristar'. I would think that this cultivar could easily evolve into a seven foot ball in ten years or so, but could certainly be controlled with judicious, very occasional pruning. The plant is naturally arboreal, so I suspect ten feet high eventually, or perhaps even larger. It would probably be prettiest, however, if maintained as a dense, multiple-branched specimen at around the five-foot mark, where it can show off it's glorious coloration and magnificent floral display at eye level. I also suspect that maturing branches could most likely be rooted if taken in early spring.

Although these plants are quite difficult to find, and are usually only available as small plants (and are unfortunately somewhat slow to get established) they are certainly well worth the effort. Even if they need to be given a pretty good-sized plot in which to grow. But unlike many beautiful Agaves (bought as delightfully attractive, smaller plants that inexorably morph into King-Kongish, rambling nightmares) Yucca cv. 'Walbristar' will eventually morph into your very own "Cinderella" of a statement plant, especially when it attains flowering size! ::wink::

The Monger
RCS
Offset

Post by RCS »

Thanks Kent for the heads up on what this plant can do. Maybe I need to move it to a more suitable spot. It does need to be moved to a higher spot any way. I had know idea it would get the size you are talking about. Wow that would indeed be an eye full. Maybe I don't need a half dozen after all. I just need to take better care of the ones I have and hope they reward me with some little ones.

Bob