Andean Echeveria ID query

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Aeonium, Crassula, Dudleya, Echeveria, Kalanchoe, Rhodiola, Sedum, Sempervium and related species. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.

Moderator: Aeonium2003

Stone Jaguar
Ready to Bolt

Andean Echeveria ID query

Post by Stone Jaguar »

Greetings:

Two years ago I obtained a small offset of an Echeveria from a well-known U.S. BG that was collected in "Colombia" (no other data). The plant has only recently started to exhibit mature characteristics and the main rosette is now >35 cm across. It made a whacking great inflorescence early in year that was unfortunately snapped off by an unopened pine cone that dropped on it while growing on my terrace. Prior to the accident, I did note that flowers are relatively large and bright orange, the peduncle was over three cm diameter at the base and the infl. certainly would have been over a meter tall when in full flower.
Colombian Echeveria sp..jpg
Colombian Echeveria sp..jpg (106.64 KiB) Viewed 1201 times
The plant is well-hydrated in this recent image. It receives full late morning sunshine throughout the year, and some midday sun in late Spring through early Fall. During the winter when I dry it out a bit it is more glaucous/less green. Unlike the Mexican and Guatemalan echeverias that I have cultivated, it goes into decline if fully dried out for prolonged periods in winter. With a very sharply-drained media it grows in kept barely moist, handled many -2 degrees C overnight lows in December and January with no apparent problems.

I have asked a good friend of mine in Bogota who works with paramo flora if he or his colleagues could help me with an ID, but no luck so far. For a variety of reasons I suspect the plant was collected much further west in the high parts of the Cauca valley, perhaps from a local garden.

Would be grateful if someone here can put a name to this plant, if it has one.

Cheers,

Jay
Epiphyte
Offset

Re: Andean Echeveria ID query

Post by Epiphyte »

My best guess is Echeveria pallida. But your flowers sound a bit different.
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

looks like Echeveria pallida
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/63212" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stone Jaguar
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stone Jaguar »

Thanks for the feedback. It does indeed look like E. pallida with rather different colored flowers. Apparently a garden plant in Colombia, not a native.

Cheers,

J