Whack my kalanchoe beharensis with me!

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Aeonium, Crassula, Dudleya, Echeveria, Kalanchoe, Rhodiola, Sedum, Sempervium and related species. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.

Moderator: Aeonium2003

Xanthoria
Ready to Bolt

Whack my kalanchoe beharensis with me!

Post by Xanthoria »

OK maybe a bit of a click-baity title ;) but I have a 5' tall kalanchoe beharensis and it looks like this:

(not my pic, but shows lots of single-stemmed beharensis with long, stringy forms. Like mine. No branching, just a mop of leaves on a stick.)

I would prefer it looks like this:

(again not my pic)

First of all, is the long stringy format normal and OK? I think it looks weedy. I want branches!

Second of all, if I chop the trunk down to 1' will it regrow from that? And if I take the chopped part and plant a 2' long section w no leaves, will that root? And then if I plant the top with the leaves too? Should I remove a number of leaves to get it started as one does with less succulent plants? I know I can root the leaves themselves as well.

Lastly, will I die of old age before this thing looks nice? OK, don't answer that... ;)
Viegener
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10b

Re: Whack my kalanchoe beharensis with me!

Post by Viegener »

Your plants are looking tall & thin, while my experience is that as they get taller, beharensis gets a pretty thick stem (like the 2nd photo you posted). Are you growing these in full sun? They look etiolated.
Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by Gee.S »

OK, you might need a few supplies to get from Pic 1 to Pic 2.

Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
Xanthoria
Ready to Bolt

Post by Xanthoria »

Well it's in full sun now - it grew to be this way getting about 5 hours a day of full sun.

So, the question(s) remain? If I cut it down will it sprout leaves from the stump? Will the stems cut off root too? Should I trim bck the head so fewer leaves are on it to root the top?
Agavemonger
Ready to Bolt

Post by Agavemonger »

Cut all the stems back to an inch or so high above the base, and the base should sprout back during this time of year. Keep the base moist.

Cuttings with about 3-4" of stem should root well in a shaded or greenhouse scenario. Let them heal for a week or so in the shade before planting. Plant in a loose mix or in straight perlite or pumice. Do not overwater cuttings. Water them in well initially, and then let them dry out some before watering well again. Do not remove the healthy leaves on cuttings; they will drop any excess leaves if they need to. This is normal; they will most likely drop some leaves before they root. Be patient.

You might be able to root and sprout two or three inch stem sections if you are lucky. Make sure you plant them right side up and leave about an inch of the section above the soil level.

The Monger
Xanthoria
Ready to Bolt

Post by Xanthoria »

Update: we have sprout!
sprouty
sprouty
IMG_0404.JPG (56.56 KiB) Viewed 7619 times
I cut the trunk back to about 2' and that's the pic above. I took the 18" long top with leaves, and another 12" long section of trunk, and put them in a shady spot and forgot about them. The top rooted in plain air :lol: whereas the trunk did nothing. They are potted up now and getting on with business - new leaves on the top part. Trunk section may or may not do anything, btu at the very least I now have two plants in progress.
Xanthoria
Ready to Bolt

Post by Xanthoria »

And 4 months later, here we are:

Left side: The original trunk with roots, now with 7 leaves growing at the top
Right side: The original tip - same leaves as when I started, but rooted into a shorter plant
Front: Middle section. Has 2 tiny sprouts starting each side of the end

It's an improvement! I suppose I can pinch the tip on the right one and see if we get branching that way. But now I have 3 plants to mess with D))
IMG_1108-1.JPG
IMG_1108-1.JPG (157.24 KiB) Viewed 7480 times
mickthecactus

Post by mickthecactus »

That second picture down is a superb plant. Good luck in getting yours like that!
jcm

Post by jcm »

I'm tempted to do this. Mine year old plants just keep getting taller and I'd like them to branch. Wonder how yours look now, 4 years later.
Attachments
IMG_2744.jpeg
IMG_2744.jpeg (118.22 KiB) Viewed 3945 times
IMG_2747.jpeg
IMG_2747.jpeg (143.81 KiB) Viewed 3945 times
Xanthoria
Ready to Bolt

Post by Xanthoria »

Mixed results. All three rooted/sprouted and grew. One of them flowered, then died. The other two seem displeased with their current location or something, and have not grown as much as I'd hoped. Might be time to repot...