Wot, no semps?

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Aeonium, Crassula, Dudleya, Echeveria, Kalanchoe, Rhodiola, Sedum, Sempervium and related species. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.

Moderator: Aeonium2003

Xanthoria
Ready to Bolt

Wot, no semps?

Post by Xanthoria »

Looking in the gallery there's only one sempervivum listed... why's that? I am starting to like these little things... tho I only have one.
Melt in the Sun
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 9b

Re: Wot, no semps?

Post by Melt in the Sun »

Be the change you want to see in the world :))

I've never tried to grow any...they don't look likely to make it here.
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

I have ordered over 50 varieties of Sempervivum over the last 10 years and not a single one has made it through a summer here aside from tectorum and another species that has fuzzy leaves (that one lived two summers only). Though I photographed them all, that was over 4 years ago and lost all of those in a computer crash. So I have not added any since they are not that popular in California (other that S tectorum that is)... those that do grow them successfully usually live along the coast, or in northern California, or in climate controlled greenhouses. Anyway, that is why I did not add any Semps.. .I have no photos of them.
Xanthoria
Ready to Bolt

Post by Xanthoria »

I am on the coast! So, I'll give 'em a go. I've got one semp and a jovibarba... pics coming.
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

I have a couple - this my favorite so far, a cultivar.
Sempervivum Reinhardt
2017 06 01 Sempervivum Reinhard a.jpg
2017 06 01 Sempervivum Reinhard a.jpg (148.06 KiB) Viewed 1185 times
Your coastal locale should be perfect, since as I understand it, they like it generally cool, and cold seems to be no problem. The plant above has been growing outdoors in a pot for a couple of years, then transferred into one of the holes of a cinder block, still outdoors. It has taken all frost/freeze down to 26F, and all the heat in excess of 100F. It's made offsets, so I split it up this last year. In the summer, I did water it every day by hand. I would like to get more different ones, and the ones I find most appealing are the more odd ones, like the type that look like it has spider webs growing all over it, in perfect geometry. :)) Colors too are a plus to my eye.
Xanthoria
Ready to Bolt

Post by Xanthoria »

Yes our range is highs around 90 and lows very rarely to 36, so I'm hoping they do well for me. I'll consider it my duty to buy more and post additional articles and photos. Thanks for enabling! :lol:
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

I'm sure your climate will be just right. I would think too that anyone who finds Agave visually appealing, should also be drawn to semps for the same reasons - symmetrical rosettes. Also, they take up a lot less space! D))