Echeveria Mt. Etna beheading surprise

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Aeonium, Crassula, Dudleya, Echeveria, Kalanchoe, Rhodiola, Sedum, Sempervium and related species. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.

Moderator: Aeonium2003

OLD BLUE
Rhizome

Echeveria Mt. Etna beheading surprise

Post by OLD BLUE »

Beheaded a Mt. Etna for the 3rd time this past Oct. The rooted stump has always provided new shoots to remove and root on their own. This time was different. On one side of the stump two new shoots formed normally. On the other side of the stump a monstrose type of growth appeared. This shoot appears to be two attached leaves, they are thick, about ½ inch and look to be a solid carunculations. The coloration is right for a mature Mt. Etna. It appears to be growing and thriving. I looked for other examples of this type of mutation but haven’t found anything similar to this growth. Now I am hoping it has chloroplasts and can develop a root system. Would love to find out if anyone has knowledge of this type of mutation or has seen it in their own experience.
Attachments
carunculated leaf formation
carunculated leaf formation
IMG_1255.JPG (102.34 KiB) Viewed 1034 times
Normal Etna shoots
Normal Etna shoots
IMG_1251.JPG (93.44 KiB) Viewed 1034 times
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Re: Echeveria Mt. Etna beheading surprise

Post by Spination »

Looks interesting. Would like to see updates as they grow. Maybe you just created a new cultivar... :))
bigdaddyscondition
Ready to Bolt

Re: Echeveria Mt. Etna beheading surprise

Post by bigdaddyscondition »

I love the weird things echeverias sometimes do. I have a Wright hybrid called Pappy's Rose that is very prone to changing into a crested form as the rosette ages. It gives the stem a fanned out, gnarly, prehistoric look. The leaves get too small and numerous to manage, though.