Echeveria agavoides Lipstick

Use this forum to help with identification issues and to show off your beautiful plants, one species, subspecies, and cultivar at a time.

Moderator: Aeonium2003

Forum rules
This section is dedicated toward maintaining one active thread for each Crassulaceae species/subspecies/variety/cultivar. Please feel free to add information and/or photos to existing threads or start your own by adding Genus/species as the thread subject. Note that listings are displayed alphabetically. Enjoy!
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Echeveria agavoides Lipstick

Post by Spination »

This cultivar of Echeveria agavoides features a red outline on it's outer leaves, which can vary considerably from individual to individual. The below pictured plant is a selection of a particular pup I grew with exceptionally deep markings into the leaves, which was in turn selected from a plant chosen with nice coloration as well.
2015 05 22 Echeveria agavoides Lipstick X750.jpg
2015 05 22 Echeveria agavoides Lipstick X750.jpg (148.42 KiB) Viewed 1646 times
Xanthoria
Ready to Bolt

Re: Echeveria agavoides Lipstick

Post by Xanthoria »

Just adding mine here too...
IMG_1073.jpg
IMG_1073.jpg (142.52 KiB) Viewed 1544 times
IMG_1074.jpg
IMG_1074.jpg (99.79 KiB) Viewed 1544 times
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Cool. I had seen your photos on that other thread and assumed the large one was an 'Ebony', and the smaller ones 'Lipstick' types which are more red than black. Am I wrong on that? Do the red tips get that dark in color?
Xanthoria
Ready to Bolt

Post by Xanthoria »

Erm... actually I can’t rememebr who gave me these so there’s a chance one is Ebony. Definitive way to tell?
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Well, the first and third photos of this thread show tips that are definitely red. The second photo to me doesn't look very red, but more black. One other thing I've noted is that the 'Lipstick' varieties feature leaves that are more yellowish or at least a pale green, while 'Ebony' accompanies leaves that are notably more green in color. So, yours fits the entire look in my opinion. I would consider yours an actual 'Ebony', based on what I believe about them. I'll add one last thing that seems to be true so far with mine as well... and that is the 'Lipstick' seems to offset regularly, and the 'Ebony' tends to remain solitary, or at the least - stingy when it comes to vegetative reproduction. Of my 'Ebony', not one has manufactured a single pup to date - while none of my 'Lipstick' that achieve a nominal size have failed to start forming a cluster.
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

2018 03 24 Echeveria agavoides Lipstick .jpg
2018 03 24 Echeveria agavoides Lipstick .jpg (109.16 KiB) Viewed 1484 times
bigdaddyscondition
Ready to Bolt

Post by bigdaddyscondition »

Here is a mature colony of Echeveria agavoides Lipstick in my front yard:
Attachments