First Lithops

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Delosperma, Faucaria, Lapidaria, Lithops, Oscularia, Pleiospilos and related species. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.
jayhouseplant
Rhizome

First Lithops

Post by jayhouseplant »

Picked up a few lithops. Some I'm keeping and some, I'm giving away to friends. :))
Attachments
houseplantonline.JPG
houseplantonline.JPG (97.09 KiB) Viewed 4003 times
Steph115
Ready to Bolt

Re: First Lithops

Post by Steph115 »

Very pretty! I like the variety you have there. What is your plan for potting? Grouped or separate?
jayhouseplant
Rhizome

Post by jayhouseplant »

Steph - I'm planning on making a dish arrangement with these, but I'm trying to find other colors to add. =)
Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Post by Azuleja »

I love dish arrangements. I like when people use colored stones and the lithops really blend in.
Steph115
Ready to Bolt

Post by Steph115 »

Definitely with you there. The dish arrangements are where the beauty lies, I think. The brightly colored lithops seem pretty hard to find. I only ever see the typical brown/mute lithops at the nurseries. When the brightly colored ones are for sale online, I can never justify buying them at $6 a piece, which seems to be the typical going rate. Especially since the goal is to have a ton to fill a large dish.

I bought about 12 varieties of seed recently with the goal of getting some of those bright colors. Specifically blues, purples, greens, bright yellows and reds. Off the top of my head, they were: Karasmontana v. fischeri, karasmontana var eberlanzii, bromfieldii v. menelli, bromfieldii var. sulphurea (no germination on this one - which is a big bummer bc it was my only truly yellow one!), hallii v. ochracea, julii fulleri, salicola, dorotheae... and some others. Unfortunately I fried several of these almost immediately by not acclimating them slowly enough to more sun. Lithops are so tricky. Some of them were totally fine and others bleached and died within 24 hours. Pretty good germination rates with all of them though. I ordered from Silverhill seeds.