Mystery Aizoid

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Delosperma, Faucaria, Lapidaria, Lithops, Oscularia, Pleiospilos and related species. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.
Shmuel
Offset

Mystery Aizoid

Post by Shmuel »

I have had this a while. I would have thought a Pleiospilos but the flowers are so different.... I think. It has bloomed for several years and the petals are always these stringy things. Photo was taken mid-August. Any ID suggestions are gratefully accepted. Thanks.

Shmuel
Jerusalem Israel
zone 9b
Attachments
Mystery Mesmb.jpg
Mystery Mesmb.jpg (103.66 KiB) Viewed 4602 times
Steph115
Ready to Bolt

Re: Mystery Aizoid

Post by Steph115 »

Hmmm given the shape of the leaves and the flowers, perhaps Dinteranthus? Puberulus or microspermus?
Shmuel
Offset

Post by Shmuel »

Interesting suggestion, Steph. I know less than nothing about Dinteranthus. Do they make clusters like mine or are they more solitary?

Shmuel
Steph115
Ready to Bolt

Post by Steph115 »

I don't know much about them either - just started looking into them really. They do cluster. There are some photos on google that look somewhat like yours.
Steph115
Ready to Bolt

Post by Steph115 »

Hmm also perhaps pleiospilos bulosii?
Shmuel
Offset

Post by Shmuel »

P bolusii looks good, but lifle says it is solitary or slightly branched. This discussion got me more actively persuing the issue, and it looks to me now like Pleiopsilos compactus which forms good size clumps. I don't know how authoritative lifle is considered, but their taxonomic info seems to cut and pasted from somewhere.
http://www.llifle.com/Encyclopedia/SUCC ... _compactus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'll have to chop open a flower and see how many ovary cells it has, but that never seems to actually work - I just get a gooey mess. : )

I was thinking P peersii, as on our site:
viewtopic.php?f=69&t=7152" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
But the name seems to be a synonym for P compactus ssp canus
http://www.theplantlist.org/tpl1.1/record/tro-702814" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CACSS has a specimen shown on Dave's Garden
https://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/352130/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I appreciate your help, Steph, and would send you a piece if you want, if you think it would make it deep into the heart of Texas.

Shmuel
Jerusalem Israel
zone 9b
Steph115
Ready to Bolt

Post by Steph115 »

I appreciate that! But your clump looks too nice to split up. Thanks for sharing and glad to have another aizoaceae gardnener around!