Cold?

Discuss any and all issues that don't fit neatly into one of our other forum sections.
Stan
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10a

Re: Cold?

Post by Stan »

Cool up and down the state. Inland San Diego-just a few miles- was down to 39f last night. Same as Hayville. San Francisco continues to defy science with a low of 43f. They wont go under 40f no matter what.
Today nice and sunny. Didnt they just a few days ago say rain from Thurs- Mon? Sunny,but not toasty at 57f. Cats still warming indoors.
Hayward Ca. 75-80f summers,60f winters.
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Azul, I know what you mean "just what plants love" ::wink:: We got there last night too - 32 on the nose. Forecast was 35 - checked again and again, and even late last night. Anyway, everything covered, so no problem. Also, it wasn't that all-night type, but the kind that gets there before the sun has a chance to do something about it - water buckets had no ice on top. No fog though, so it will start warming up soon. :))
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

37F ..out of the blue since they had been revising upwards. They should have stuck to last weeks forecast when they called for 30's today.
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

.7" rain overnight, but most importantly - clouds (I know - can't rain without 'em), which raised the low 18 degrees from one night to the next. A very nice 50 F this AM. Awesome.
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

Speaking of colds..I got that flu. Lots of liquids and tomato soup just like Mom would have done. Too sick for the Tuna sandwich with the soup :lol:
Later this week Spiny,we drop once again.
What we do to send soucal's sunny winters,rain water huh? ;) Saints!
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Flu - ugh. I'm being a hermit and staying the hell away from people with Flu-talk all over the news. Going to the store and such, I keep my distance and make it fast. Remember to wash hands often and keep them away from nose and mouth! Something to be said for that - I haven't been sick in years.
Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by Gee.S »

Yeah keep it up, you'll wind up catching Aloe mite!
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Yikes - then I'd have to Forbid myself? :eek:
Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by Gee.S »

Don't forget the spreader-sticker. And no baths for a month.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

:lol: I wish -sometimes- I was a hermit. But,no,granddaughter goes to school...and grandpa get 10X sicker then her. Good thing I'm
super macho.
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

I hear that. Schools are a special breeding ground and spreading mechanism for colds and flu. Rough stuff...
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Stan wrote:
Later this week Spiny,we drop once again.
Yup. We've got a yo-yo effect going... last 3: 32, 50, 39 F ..... Cracked 40 again this AM with fog out there again after the wet we got. Anyway, last end of the week is when the 2 cold ones came, and here again we're expected to have 2 cold ones Thurs and Fri. Funny how that works...
Also, the forecast lows last time around were 36, 35 - when what we got was 36, 32. This time they're predicting 34, 35... which means I'll again be covering stuff up, and pretty much expecting one or both will hit freezing.
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

36 F this AM, after .5" of rain, with occasional showers even this morning. That's a little too close for comfort with that killer one-two punch of wet combined with freeze. Tonight and tomorrow forecast lows of 34 each, with more showers today. A bit worrisome since I've become accustomed to assuming it will actually be at least a couple of degrees colder than whatever they say it will be....
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

The prolonged low temps is wearing on some tropicals,but none of them Agaveville type plants. This weekend there is a warmup- well needed. Right now,its Zen Moss garden weather.
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

33 F 7AM. .3 " from mainly one downpour shower (complete with nearby bolts of lightning) yesterday afternoon. Otherwise, as I was covering plants outside with sheets last night...it started to sprinkle. Oh...thanks! Had to bring out the big guns and cover the sheets with plastic - grrr ::x Am TV news says colder tonight??? :eek:

EDIT - substantial droplets all over my plastic sheets, and on one more out in the open, an inch wide and several inch long piece of ice. Guess it was colder than 33, because as far as I know, water doesn't freeze above 32F....
Good move covering the sheets with the plastic, as soaked cloth, and then subject to freezing isn't something I would imagine would be of much good protecting the plants below. :huh:
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

Lows were actually a bit higher here then predicted. I know the world was dying to know that. I tell you,this weekends rise to about 70 or so is very,very, welcome as DJT :) might say.
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Wow - 36 F this AM, but looking at the forecast going forward, it looks like spring weather already. No rain in sight, and highs increasing over the days to come -mid 60s to low 70s. Lows also creeping higher to mid 40s...
Compared to last year, hardly any damage and losses plant-wise.
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

Ooooooohh doggeeeee's! 68f today. I see by Wed,its about 70f everyday.
Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Post by Azuleja »

We've had 4" of rain for the season, on par with our worst year. As much as I hate cold weather, I'm not ready for spring.
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

I moved a bunch of my plants outside today. They were hunkered down for the winter, but with warmer weather, they're better off outside, adjusting to the increasing daylight hours and sun. The best thing is now I have room to actually maneuver around in my greenhouse kits without knocking anything over, stepping on anything, or getting stabbed by spines. ::wink:: Yup, we really do need more rain though... but we still have time to get more. Wasn't there an old saying that went something like "April showers bring May flowers"? That's still a couple of months away. Anyway, there's still hope.
Stone Jaguar
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stone Jaguar »

Just for reference, 2011 saw amazing rain totals for the Bay Area from Feb onwards well through early June. Of course, that was prelude to the drought, but still plenty of room for rain/snow this year.
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

NWS says we set a record of 67F (WU said 68F). But ,they use a different station from the old "official station" that recorded a 72f in 1988.
We've had about 11" of rain..10.67 to be exact this season. I think 18" is the yearly average. So,still have a ways to go,but a great start.

I dont think a better garden season is set up for norcal. Reservoirs also are doing well up here and that's on rain. They haven't even got snowpack wet yet.
Stone Jaguar
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stone Jaguar »

String of low 70s/low 50s F clear-sky tandems starting this Friday in my part of the SF Bay area. Hard to complain about that for early February!! These are remarkably coincident to Guatemala City temps for same period.
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Similar here, although our last 3 consecutive lows have been 36, 39, 36 F - but still above the fear zone. Looks to me too like it's about the last I'll being seeing of lows in the 30s for a while. From the point of view of the plants, I think it's some pretty good stuff starting up now.
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Hmmm...nobody told Old Man Weather that we've got a warming trend going here - 35 F this AM - according to the TV news this AM, was courtesy of the north wind kicking in.