A trip to Yucca Do

Discuss any and all issues that don't fit neatly into one of our other forum sections.
Agave_fan
Ready to Bolt

A trip to Yucca Do

Post by Agave_fan »

I made it to Yucca Do this past weekend (thanks Gee for the tip on this place being so close) and brought a few things back:
shopping list.jpg
shopping list.jpg (63.08 KiB) Viewed 2044 times
I wanted to try some Dioon in a raised bed I have between 2 buildings and also in an area that gets mostly shade. I am inexperienced with this type of plant so I very well could lose them but decided I just needed to take the chance and give them a try as I love the look and needed a plant that could take some shade. If anyone sees something alarming I am doing wrong or not doing, feel free to mention it. Here are a couple of the plants that will be going in the 26' raised bed I have between buildings that sees early afternoon sun:
dioon edule rio verde.jpg
dioon edule rio verde.jpg (216.04 KiB) Viewed 2044 times
dioon edule jacala.jpg
dioon edule jacala.jpg (167.58 KiB) Viewed 2044 times
Here are the three Dioon augustifolium I have in the shaded area:
dioon shade.jpg
dioon shade.jpg (109.62 KiB) Viewed 2044 times
A few more photos from the trip:
Needed something tall, upright and with a little color so grabbed this cute little yucca
yucca aloifolia marginata.jpg
yucca aloifolia marginata.jpg (281.13 KiB) Viewed 2044 times
I couldn't resist another container plant- the teeth were just so beautiful!
A horrida Horrida.jpg
A horrida Horrida.jpg (123.11 KiB) Viewed 2044 times
Wish they would have had more of these! Cute little guys that supposedly like partial shade that I am able to tuck up under boulders due to limited spread and height.
bergeranthus katbergensis.jpg
bergeranthus katbergensis.jpg (185.6 KiB) Viewed 2044 times
I love the shape of the leaves and color. Although I am not much of a flower fan, I saw the flower on this plant in person and it was so unique, I instantly fell in love.
manfreda undulata choc chip.jpg
manfreda undulata choc chip.jpg (255.64 KiB) Viewed 2044 times
Probably my favorite purchase of the day (after my cute horrida). I needed more plants that could take shade and these look spectacular. Love the shape of the leaves, the color, and the pattern. Wish I would have purchased more of these, might need to make another trip back soon.
drimiopsis maculata slow fade.jpg
drimiopsis maculata slow fade.jpg (218.39 KiB) Viewed 2044 times
I didn't talk to Wade about closing when I was there but I do know on our initial phone conversation, he confirmed that they were closing. Not everything was in stock so it appears they are indeed doing a slow close. :cry:
Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Re: A trip to Yucca Do

Post by Azuleja »

You got 'a few' things all right! Love your little yucca and that beautiful Drimiopsis, which I've never even heard of. What a shame they're closing. Probably gonna run out of stock more quickly now that you know where they are :shock:
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Awesome, I agree you picked up some very nice plants, great job! Good to know too the current scoop regarding the status of the nursery, and it's cool that they are winding it down very slowly, giving folks more chances to acquire some of their treasures.
Viegener
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10b

Post by Viegener »

I'm pretty sure I have Uucca aloifolia marginata too — are the leaves very stiff, and are the tips very sharp? If so, put it in an untrafficked spot!!
Agave_fan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Agave_fan »

Viegener wrote:I'm pretty sure I have Uucca aloifolia marginata too — are the leaves very stiff, and are the tips very sharp? If so, put it in an untrafficked spot!!
Yes they are Viegener, the leaves are similar to my rigida in stiffness and the terminal points are very sharp. I had it placed in an area that would not see much foot traffic where it has room to grow- way in the back close to a rock ledge I had made to separate one of the granite areas from the grass area:
yucca placement.jpg
yucca placement.jpg (67.76 KiB) Viewed 2015 times
(not sure what I was thinking bringing in the massive 3200lb rock in this picture but it is growing on me)

I am always confused with yuccas. I have had one for years that was sold to me as a rigida. It has grown like a weed (even under the partial shade of an oak which I now need to remove) and has three large thick branches.
larger yucca.jpg
larger yucca.jpg (308.97 KiB) Viewed 2015 times
Many call this a spanish dagger but I have seen various names associated with this (dagger) term- rigida, gloriosa, treculeana, faxoniana..... To make matters more confusing for me, I see the term spanish dagger often interchanged with the term spanish bayonet which also has a whole slew of names associated with it.

I always thought that the bayonet has the more narrow leaves and grew on a skinny trunk and threw out heads at all angles but pretty sure I am confused on this as well.

I tried figuring out what I had a couple years back but gave up. I think the closest guess I came up with was grandiflora (yes, another one people just call dagger) due to the color of the leaf, growth and massive (I mean massive) white bloom. I just decided to enjoy it and not care what it was I was enjoying...

I purchased a blue yucca rigida (a real rigida) for my project but it is not looking too blue nor too happy after sitting out for almost 3 weeks waiting for planting. The leaves were a lovely pale blue but I picked this specific one for its curved trunk (yes, I like the Charlie brown Christmas tree). Only time will tell if this will survive the abuse I put it through:
blue yucca rigida.jpg
blue yucca rigida.jpg (225.25 KiB) Viewed 2015 times
While I feel fairly comfortable with the blue rigida and completely at ease with the yucca aloifolia marginata being labeled correctly given the source of purchase, I have no idea what else I own. Take for example the other variegated yucca I purchased from a local garden store a month ago for my project. This was labeled as a spanish dagger, nothing more. I can tell the leaves are much wider than my aloifolia but I would like to know what exactly I have. I hate nicknames on things I am buying, I want actual genus/species/ssp names- no more 'dagger' or 'bayonet'! It supposedly gets a nice trunk like my rigida but I guess I won't know until it grows? Here is a side by side of the two. The broader leaf yucca is a little larger (not much) than the aloifolia.
yucca comparison.jpg
yucca comparison.jpg (76.59 KiB) Viewed 2015 times
tl;dr: yuccas confuse me! :eek:
Agave_fan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Agave_fan »

That blue rigida is looking so bad in the photo above that I had to go out and do a closeup shot of one of the leaves. Ignore the dirt on the leaf, was just planted and I don't wash my plants. ;)

The photo has not been touched for color/tone/contrast (just cropped) and color represented in the photo is very accurate for how the leaves actually appear on this plant. Well, those leaves not stressed and dying.... I really like the pale blue color so I hope it pulls through......
pale blue rigida.jpg
pale blue rigida.jpg (36.96 KiB) Viewed 2012 times
Melt in the Sun
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by Melt in the Sun »

Nice plantings! The one under the oak looks generally like Y. rigida to me; the one with the curved trunk looks like something different. The "purchased as variegated spanish dagger" is Y. recurvifolia...there are a few different named variegates but I don't know which matches yours.
Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Post by Azuleja »

Your rockwork is quite beautiful and the behemoth rock is fantastic. I love seeing landscaping photos. Thank you for sharing them.
Agave_fan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Agave_fan »

Melt in the Sun wrote:Nice plantings! The one under the oak looks generally like Y. rigida to me; the one with the curved trunk looks like something different. The "purchased as variegated spanish dagger" is Y. recurvifolia...there are a few different named variegates but I don't know which matches yours.
Thanks MITS! Do some of the Y.recurvifolia have fairly rigid leaves? The leaves on the 'purchased as variegated spanish dagger' are not very soft or flexible. They are not as stiff as rigida but definitely not soft or extremely flexible.
Melt in the Sun
Ready to Bolt

No - they look kinda floppy from here! If they are stiff they are something different. Are the tips sharp, or pointy but soft-ish?
Agave_fan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Agave_fan »

Azuleja wrote:Your rockwork is quite beautiful and the behemoth rock is fantastic. I love seeing landscaping photos. Thank you for sharing them.
Thanks Azuleja! Started a huge landscaping project a couple months ago after feral hogs tore my yard out and I decided to make more cactus areas. Unfortunately, this also involved installing an ugly black steel fence to prevent this (hog damage) from happening again. I am still trying to get used to the 'caged' look and feel. :cry:

The landscapers finished up on Monday but it is still a work in progress as I have so many more things I want to fit in! I might do a landscape project thread with some before and after photos when I finish things up.
Agave_fan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Agave_fan »

Melt in the Sun wrote:No - they look kinda floppy from here! If they are stiff they are something different. Are the tips sharp, or pointy but soft-ish?
As I misjudged distance a bit when trying to feel and I am now bleeding, I can say that they are as sharp as a very fine needle and the leaf tip has zero give. Stiff and just as deadly (if not worse) than the aloifolia.

edit: And not sure if this helps but.... not only are the leaves stiff, they curve in slightly on the sides and feel like fine sandpaper when you touch them. Here is a closer look at the leaves:
yucca of some sort leaves.jpg
yucca of some sort leaves.jpg (76.28 KiB) Viewed 2001 times
Melt in the Sun
Ready to Bolt

OK, pretty sure that the true Y. gloriosa. IIRC, Y. recurvifolia is considered by some people to be just a floppier version of that species, and I can verify those tips are mean!. Note this is very different than what is often sold as Y. gloriosa (around here at least) which is a soft-tipped plant with much less cold hardiness.
Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Post by Azuleja »

My first thought was Y. gloriosa too, only because it reminds me of mine. It has hard, needle sharp spines and razor edges but the leaves do curve at the edges and can be bent. As the leaves get longer, they could get a little more flexible.
Viegener
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10b

Post by Viegener »

My Yucca aloifolia marginata though smallish is actually the plant that pokes me most often, right through the blue jeans. It's pretty though, and it sends out rhizomes, so is supposed to be hard to eradicate when you want to.
Stan
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10a

Post by Stan »

The Dioons should do great in the Texas heat. They are hardier then most people think. Exotic looking.

I have Y.recurvifolia. Tips are lethal,but the blue color,the skirt and the fact it's not a large trunker keeps my from removing it for something more challenging. Heck,I have Jade plants too. Too big to get snooty over.

I think you caught the A.rigida in time. Sometimes Agave's get tired of potted life. I could never make A.tequliana happy in any pot. In ground it went from green to azure blue. You''ll see.
Hayward Ca. 75-80f summers,60f winters.
Agavemonger
Ready to Bolt

Post by Agavemonger »

Yeah, I agree: Yuccas just hate pots and love the ground! (And don't forget to give them as much light as humanly possible) :U

The Monger
Agave_fan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Agave_fan »

Stan wrote:I think you caught the A.rigida in time. Sometimes Agave's get tired of potted life.
The A rigida has never been in a pot, it was grown on a farm in the ground as were all the rostrata. They are dug out and wrapped with burlap and transported to the location for replanting. Mine just sat too long before planting due to trying to coordinate all the different groups working on my project.

I just found a picture of the rigida when it was in the ground at the farm and it looks like the trunk has lost some water weight and the color has changed a bit. Here is the rigida on April 7- the day it was dug up.
blue rigida prior transplant.jpg
blue rigida prior transplant.jpg (207.8 KiB) Viewed 1930 times
The problem is/was the April 29th plant date where it sat in the Texas heat (multiple days over 90) for 22 days before replanting. You can't water it after it is dug up until it is planted. I know these plants are fairly resilient and this one (unlike rostrata :cry: ) was in the shade so I just hope it didn't lose enough moisture in the trunk that it cannot rebound.
Agave_fan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Agave_fan »

Agavemonger wrote:Yeah, I agree: Yuccas just hate pots and love the ground! (And don't forget to give them as much light as humanly possible) :U
Thanks Monger, I was able to plant it in full sunlight. :U