Native Gardening in my Backyard

Discuss any and all issues that don't fit neatly into one of our other forum sections.
Jon Turner
Rhizome

Native Gardening in my Backyard

Post by Jon Turner »

I would like to add some greenery and perhaps colour to the backyard, which is almost a blank canvas for my new home. Recently, after reading through several magazines and forums, I would like to try native plants as much as possible. I have done some research and a few ideas, also I have found a plant nursery where I could get my essentials. But I would love to hear from someone who has suggestions about any of the plants that am going to list out, or who may have suggestions for other plants to fit my space.
The space I want to start with is the one around my hedge. I am currently thinking of two rows of plantings, Bunchberry plant and Bladdernut shrub. Along the other side which is partly shaded, I was thinking of putting in some varieties of herbaceous plants and some berry producing plants like Red Huckleberry or Evergreen huckleberry. But I am wondering if any of those could become problematic due to animal spreading seeds.
And finally, on the fully sunny side, I would like something colourful, which would look great for the full season. I have no firm idea on this and was thinking of using Cardinal Flower Plant.

I'd appreciate any feedback or suggestion as I'm fairly new at this.
Stan
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10a

Re: Native Gardening in my Backyard

Post by Stan »

Natives are great. If I ever change past exotic or edibles..I would go native. I've done native California gardens..meaning I see wild plants different now. They can be wildlife attracters..add some water feature is important.
Hit your local botanical gardens. They would have latest cultivars that look best. In California nobody plants wild Epilobium..but the compact bloomers are very popular. Like that.
Hayward Ca. 75-80f summers,60f winters.
abborean
Ready to Bolt

Post by abborean »

Perhaps I missed it but where is your native garden?
Stan
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10a

Post by Stan »

I did that for a local University years ago. Havent seen it in years. I should go back and see what's left. It was fun project. I hit all the native botanical gardens and loaded up books of natives. Besides not needing water or very little (also,of course,when plants come out of a pot in the dry season you need to water to tie them over)..natives draw in wildlife. THAT is a big advantage. Includes butterflys too.
Hayward Ca. 75-80f summers,60f winters.