Looking for list of VOTS C&S Nurseries

Discuss any and all issues that don't fit neatly into one of our other forum sections.
cactusmcharris
Rhizome

Looking for list of VOTS C&S Nurseries

Post by cactusmcharris »

Could someone direct me to this list, please? Looking for it (it should be here, right?), but no joy. If anyone has a list of Phoenix-area cactus and succulent nurseries, I'd be happy to get it from you.

Thank you,

Jeff
Stone Jaguar
Ready to Bolt

Re: Looking for list of VOTS C&S Nurseries

Post by Stone Jaguar »

Hi, Jeff.

The folks here living in the Phoenix Metro area can give you excellent and informed tips on where to go. Been visiting Scottsdale to buy plants and visit family (right order?) since since the late 80s and personal favs that are still open are AZ Cactus Sales in Chandler, P&M Nursery and Citrus in Scottsdale, and Desert Foothills in Cave Creek. The first sells plenty of plants that will fit in a suitcase, other two landscape-oriented. Moon Valley Nurseries in Scottsdale usually has a lot of RSN agaves available, occasionally some nice ones. Almost every general garden center I've ever visited in the area has had at least one interesting cactus or succulent on their benches.

Worth driving around some low traffic neighborhoods mid-morning to looky-look at frontal plantings. I always find something new to admire whenever I visit. Am biased, but think AZ has private gardens on equal to the very best in the US.

Jay
KLC
Ready to Bolt

Post by KLC »

Hey Jeff, long time no talk. Had some nice visits in years past. How's Kamloops treating ya?
Don't California my Arizona!
DesertDweller
Ready to Bolt

Post by DesertDweller »

As far as places to find nice C&S, the Summerwinds Nursery on Tatum, just south of the 101, has a pretty nice offerings. I am not a fan of their Moon Valley neighbor across the street, but mainly on account of rampant mite problems and ridiculous prices. By contrast, the Summerwinds on Bell Rd. is more or less a succulent graveyard anymore, not sure what is going on there. I will second both P&M and Desert Foothills. The latter has some nice hechtia and deuterocohnia at the moment. Additionally, there's Richard's Garden Center, off the I-17. Succulents are not their primary draw, but they do have a decent selection of agave and some oddballs you don't see often. Friendly people working there too. Whitfill nursery on Glendale isn't too bad either, lots to see there, but be mindful of some plants looking questionable (mites).
Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by Gee.S »

Then there is Shady Way in Apache Junction.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
Stone Jaguar
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stone Jaguar »

Thanks to DD & Gee for new places to pillage in December.

To DD's comments, every aloe offering I saw in Phoenix Metro during my visit in June had aloe mites or had neighbors with mites. Buyer beware. Did not see any evidence of agave mites, other than old scars on a few plants. Hence, my earlier comments on this forum that nurseries that are on the gas with regard to the latter, may be unaware of the presence of the former.
Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by Gee.S »

Shady Way is by far, the finest cactus nursery in the VOTS. Many/most of their cacti are seed grown. Not a great source for Aloe/Agave, but plenty of other unusual offerings. Oh, and terrific prices.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
cactusmcharris
Rhizome

Post by cactusmcharris »

Thank you all for your thoughtful and informative replies and ideas. Ron, you're spot on with Shady Way's selection and prices. I bought 1-gal.-sized Opuntia paediophylla from there for $8 each, and they're doing wonderfully in the ground. I'm going back for some Ferocactus and maybe some columnars, too. Thanks again, everyone, and for Jay - I'm always rubbernecking at people's gardens here. It's a treat any time of the year (well, truth be told, my body's trying to accomodate this 100-degrees-or-more-everyday thing).
Keith, I'm all right and on vacation down here. It has been too long! You ever come out to this neck of the woods? I need some more Agave love - is that still one of your many fortes or did you get out of the factory there?