Roundup Study

Discuss any and all issues that don't fit neatly into one of our other forum sections.
Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Roundup Study

Post by Gee.S »

Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
toditd
Ready to Bolt

Re: Roundup Study

Post by toditd »

You might want to check that link. It takes me to a John Kelly article.
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

Funky Yahoo news link. Now fixed!
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Wow, cool. Now we are inoculated and immune to having weeds growing out of us. :shock:
mcvansoest
Location: Tempe, Arizona, USA ie. Low Desert & Urban Heat Island
USDA Zone: 9a/b

Post by mcvansoest »

The EU wants to ban the use of it.
It is what it is!
Stone Jaguar
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stone Jaguar »

Probably unlike many here, I was exposed to Roundup/glyphosphate during the course of farming field and tree crops on a more or less constant basis from the early 1980s into the early 1990s. I am obviously very interested in peer-reviewed studies on the downrange impact on human health of long-term exposure to it. However, I'm not exactly quaking in my boots. There have been a lot of studies on Roundup and the environment published since the mid 1970s, many by non-fanboys, and I'm fairly satisfied that worse things could have come my way (e.g. breathing the air in Mexico City or much of coastal southern California for years, drinking urban Michigan tapwater, etc).

Monsanto is so manifestly cynical, opaque and adept at stepping on its own d**k that it is almost impossible for it to muster any sympathy from anyone not on their payroll. The very fact that they first brought Roundup to market condemns the product a priori in the minds of many people and taints glyphosphate as a generic compound ever on. Likewise, there seems to exist linkage in the general public's mind between "Agent Orange" (a notorious herbicide based on the widely used 2,4-D) and glyphosphate, so it's an easy target for the anti ag-chem crowd.

Nonetheless, healthwise, and given the startling (and lowballed, IMO) global stats on morbid obesity, I think the world would be a far, far better place if we prioritized legislative solutions to combat what is killing people "fast" as opposed to things that may be killing them "slow".

Glyphosphate = bad?
Coca Cola & Cheetos = worse

Any bets as to when we start serious discussion on banning the sale and consumption of comfort "food"?
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

Stone Jaguar wrote: Glyphosphate = bad?
Coca Cola & Cheetos = worse
Thanks a lot for putting a damper on my lunch.
Agave

Stone Jaguar
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stone Jaguar »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

[quote="Stone Jaguar"

Any bets as to when we start serious discussion on banning the sale and consumption of comfort "food"?[/quote]

I'll take that bet. I'll say ... never. Where there are obese profits to be made, there will be no banning. ::wink::
Stone Jaguar
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stone Jaguar »

Ditto.

NEVER

Was just in the the neurosurgery department at Kaiser Permanente's main facility on the Peninsula...all, and I do mean "all", the staff were about 2x what they should have weighed. What kind of message does that send to visitors and patients?
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Wow. Maybe they have a secret brain-food diet there, that's very, very high in calories. :P
Stone Jaguar
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stone Jaguar »

No doubt. Thinking maybe the, "Dr. Phil's Double ThickBurger, Breaded Fried Pickle and Frosted Cinnabon Diet".

That would include an enterally-fed dessert of Ben & Jerry's Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Eye Scream infused with glyphosphate and crème de menthe.
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Yum. I gained 10 lbs just thinking about it. Can I be a neurologist now? ::wink::
Stone Jaguar
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stone Jaguar »

You're well on your way, Tom! Just stick to that 4000 cal daily surplus for a few more months, and we'll give you a laser pointer and let you run patient-client outreach while you apprentice. You'll be upgraded to doing brain transplants in no time.
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

I got my tool kit handy. Pick axe. Hack Saw. Hammer. Chisel. Super glue, silly putty, and a pack of band aids... and some aspirin. D))
Stone Jaguar
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stone Jaguar »

You forgot a pack of Luckies. No self-respecting neurosurgeon would scrub up without a lit schmeeze dangling sensually from his/her lips.